Old August 1st 08, 12:36 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Censored post ...

John Smith wrote:

Gene;

Perhaps I have "had a bad day." Or, perhaps I was "too quick." Or,
perhaps my understanding was lacking, etc. ...

Well, I certainly see no reason that a CB'er exceeding 5w is NOT in
violation of the law.

But to your question, "... how many multi-kW CBers would worry about
that?"

My answer:

Every damn one that is breaking that law! Either pay the fines, do the
time, or change that law! (or, "we" change it.)

I stand corrected, I did not have the "beef" with you, it seems, I had
imagined ... I crawl back to my hole ... I stand corrected ... please
accept my apologies.

Warm regards,
JS

Uhhh, perhaps with some explanation ... darn that thinking ... although
I used to be an Alter Boy, it didn't take ... :-(

I did drive truck, decades ago ... I have exceeded power levels/freqs
(dates, freqs, power-levels and times withheld to protect "the innocent"
....)

What can I say?; some occupations come with "liabilities" ... ;-)

Regards,
JS
Old August 3rd 08, 09:56 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On 29 Jul 2008 05:20:36 GMT, Ed
wrote:

If you ever think about posting to the moderated group, don't ...

Here is an example of a censored post, of mine:

A 5 KW amplifier is not lawful for use under Part 97. Please strike
reference on any resubmit. - K3FU

I'm pretty sure a ham CAN use a 5KW PA, as long as he limits the power
out to the maximum allowed under our FCC rules. Its not the hardware
that is not permited, its the actual power out that counts.

Ed K7AAT

The relevant language in part 97 is that the available power to the
final amplifier stage must not exceed 1 kW for armature use. Other
jurisdictions have their own rules.

Old August 3rd 08, 10:28 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 19:45:19 GMT, Bruce in alaska
wrote:

In article ,
Cecil Moore wrote:

John Smith quoted someone:
"A 5 KW amplifier is not lawful for use under Part 97."

Back in the 60's, a ham friend of mine ran a
surplus AM transmitter capable of 10KW output.
However, he never adjusted his input power to
more than the legal 1KW limit.

Whom, ever "Someone" is, he isn't versed in 47CFR97, and doesn't
understand, or can't comprehend, the actual Rule that Part 97
operations are REQUIRED to operate under. Specifically Part
97.313. I wonder if "Said Person" has ever actually READ
47CFR90.313? Apparently NOT......

For all you disinterested parties

http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_20...7cfr90.313.htm

[Code of Federal Regulations]
[Title 47, Volume 5]
[Revised as of October 1, 2007]
From the U.S. Government Printing Office via GPO Access
[CITE: 47CFR90.313]

[Page 390]

TITLE 47--TELECOMMUNICATION

CHAPTER I--FEDERAL COMMUNICATIONS COMMISSION (CONTINUED)

PART 90_PRIVATE LAND MOBILE RADIO SERVICES--Table of Contents

Subpart L_Authorization in the Band 470 512 MHz (UHF-TV Sharing)

Sec. 90.313 Frequency loading criteria.

(a) Except as provided for in paragraph (b) of this section, the
maximum channel loading on frequencies in the 470-512 MHz band is as
follows:
(1) 50 units for systems eligible in the Public Safety Pool (see
Sec. 90.20(a)).
(2) 90 units for systems eligible in the Industrial/Business Pool
(see Sec. 90.35(a)).
(b) If a licensee has exclusive use of a frequency, then the
standards in paragraph (a) of this section, may be exceeded. If it is
shared channel, the loading standards can be exceeded upon submission
of
a signed statement by all those sharing the channel agreeing to the
increase.
(c) A unit is defined as a mobile transmitter-receiver. Loading
standards will be applied in terms of the number of units actually in
use or to be placed in use within 8 months following authorization. A
licensee will be required to show that an assigned frequency pair is
at
full capacity before it may be assigned a second or additional
frequency
pair. Channel capacity may be reached either by the requirements of a
single licensee or by several users sharing a channel. Until a channel
is loaded to capacity it will be available for assignment to other
users
in the same area. A frequency pair may be reassigned at distances 64
km.
(40 mi.), 32 km. (20 mi.) for Channel 15, Chicago; Channel 20,
Philadelphia; and Channel 17, Washington, or more from the location of
base stations authorized on that pair without reference to loading at
the point of original installation. Following authorization, the
licensee shall notify the Commission either during or at the close of
the 8 month period of the number of units in operation. In the
Industrial Radio Services, if the base station facility is to be used
by
more than a single licensee, the frequency assigned to it will not be
reassigned for use by another facility within 64 km. (40 mi.) or 32
km.
(20 mi.) where applicable for a period of 12 months, Provided, That
the
facility is constructed within 90 days from the date of the first
grant,
meets the loading standards to at least 50 percent within 9 months,
and
meets all loading standards within 12 months.

[43 FR 54791, Nov. 22, 1978, as amended at 47 FR 36649, Aug. 23, 1982;
62 FR 18933, Apr. 17, 1997]
Old August 3rd 08, 10:36 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 16:42:44 -0500, Cecil Moore
wrote:

Bruce in alaska wrote:
Whom, ever "Someone" is, he isn't versed in 47CFR97, and doesn't
understand, or can't comprehend, the actual Rule that Part 97
operations are REQUIRED to operate under. Specifically Part
97.313. I wonder if "Said Person" has ever actually READ
47CFR90.313? Apparently NOT......

I fail to see how "never adjusting his input power to more
than the legal 1KW limit" violated 97.313.

Oh 97 instead of 90, see:

http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_20...7cfr97.313.htm

Old August 14th 08, 04:29 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

John Smith wrote:

JS

Hey, the good ole' boys sent me another, unsolicited, email YEA! ;-)

I guess they expected me to post it here, as a follow-up; OK, I will:

As a routine procedure, significant numbers of article rejections by a
given submitter are reviewed by our Appeals Board, and a determination
is made whether that individual requires administrative action. Such
actions could include warnings, suspensions, or in extreme cases such as
uncooperative repeat offenders, a permanent ban from our newsgroup.

Our Appeals Board has decided to assign a temporary suspension from the
rec.radio.amateur.moderated newsgroup for a period of 60 days from the
date of your last article rejection (July 29th, 2008). During this
time, your article submissions will be automatically rejected without
moderator review. We may also choose to report continued rejected
submissions to our newsgroup to your ISP as unsolicited, harassing,
communications with our team. Your suspension will be lifted on or
about September 27, 2008. We caution you to take our feedback under
consideration, and incorporate it into any future submissions after the
suspension is lifted.

Your rejected articles, and rejection reasons, are given below. We have
also considered a message that was sent to our administrative contact
address, also included below. Our recommendations to you going forward
include:

- There is no need to test the moderation system, or the moderators.
We are in positive control of the newsgroup, and are willing and able
to reject any articles that do not meet our charter and posting
guidelines. A couple of the articles that you have submitted, and
were rejected, were obviously rejectable by the standards of nearly
any moderated newsgroup, so we see no reason why they were submitted
except as a test or provocation.

- Our newsgroup is about amateur radio, not about off-topic discussions
of individual personalities, nor complaints or criticisms or
speculation about moderators and moderation decisions. To allow this
off-topic content would reduce our newsgroup to the state of some of
the presently-ruined and unusable unmoderated newsgroups (newsgroups
which we notice that you will not even post to anymore).

- The moderation team is willing to positively recognize acts of good
faith, and consider mitigating circumstances when evaluating
histories of article rejections. These include submitters making
recommended edits and resubmitting articles, as well as utilizing our
appeals process. The Appeals Board, a team of moderators separate
and independent from the team that reviews article submissions, is
always willing to fairly consider civilly-stated, original appeals
and complaints sent to our administrative contact E-mail address
(given below). We are not impressed or swayed by uncivil, bad-faith,
methods of complaint, including public ad-hominem attacks against the
moderation team in other forums, and E-mailed ASCII-art
representations of obscene hand gestures.

- We ask that any submitter to our newsgroup engage in some reasonable
amount of self-reflection as to the purpose and end-goals of their
participation. Are you truly engaging in honest, good-faith efforts
to convince others of your point-of-view, possibly to help make the
world (or our small part of it) a better place? Or is the newsgroup
merely a target of convenience for your abuse, anger, grudges,
prejudices, and attempts at retribution that would be socially
unacceptable, and punishable, elsewhere? Are you seeking to use
public forums such as ours for personal entertainment from "stirring
the pot" with obvious trolling and flame-baiting? Unmoderated
newsgroups may have to tolerate such behavior, but moderated
newsgroups such as ours do not. We will take decisive action to
protect our newsgroup for the benefit of those who do wish to
participate constructively, and not be insulted, harassed,
threatened, or otherwise abused by individuals who are apparently not
interested in constructive participation.

We do sincerely hope that after the suspension is lifted, you will have
either chosen to break bad habits by leaving the newsgroup permanently,
or be able to moderate your habit and participate productively in
on-line forums such as ours. If not, the next likely action of ours
will be either a much longer suspension, or possibly even a permanent
ban.

- --
rec.radio.amateur.moderated Admin

From
Sat Mar 17 01:23:00 2007
by mail1.panix.com (Postfix) with ESMTP id 236645881F
for ; Sat, 17 Mar 2007

00:58:18 -0400 (EDT)

From: John Smith I
Newsgroups: rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Subject: Extension of PSK segment
.com

.com

. com

Hn0yvoYH4GZ3jeTsND6KL36Wpv7+4TRY7XL1UI+8Dk4frAhB+I kcczbCUj3ILA72ViqQX9NPwJKBakxsb/K7AGLns+EfAIGYF0T4FrA5nVyyVbs5942gHzanj9iDsfCE

zVVpnzvSzEDe38OrYiNOoGMlAuaA0ybZIe1q/SY80IsesmeRBDySyNDEc/09G4+6I6WxnPj9BgZlnqMHdA6pZg==

Michael Coslo wrote:
John Smith I wrote:

"The market" spoke very clearly, in the form of comments
to FCC. The CTT proposal was overwhelmingly
opposed. About 7 out of 8 comments on it clearly said NO.
Sounds like a clear message from the market to me!

73 de Jim, N2EY

However, if a new market comes forth, one composed of amateurs

with
little or no knowledge of CW and only using digital voice and

digital
data transmission--it would be market controlled also, and one

would
suspect it would self-correct and frown on the use of the bands

for
wasteful analog and cw communications.

I would disagree. Those modes are not wasteful. On the other

hand, a
vision of using the HF bands for data transmission would indeed

be a way
of filling up our bands pretty quickly, and for not a lot of

gain. If
I'm interested in Data Transmission, I would design a system for
frequencies where there is less natural noise - VHF and up. Then
bandwidth issues would be less of a problem too.

Let's face it, digital voice is the only way to go.

I would disagree. What I have seen in digital voice so far

offers no
particular advantage over SSB, unless we are talking about

digital for
it's own sake. Most schemes that I have seen have some fatal

flaws, such
as the received transmission must be received in toto - IOW if

you don't
catch the beginning, you don't catch anything. The solution to that
would be channelizing HF, or assigning specific frequencies to

Digital
voice. In addition, unless there have been some big advances

recently,
Digital voice does not have any particular bandwidth advantages.

Give me a Digital voice mode that I can tune across the band and

pick up
a conversation at any point in the transmission, and a 1 KHz or less
bandwidth signal, and then I'll be interested. And of course,

I'll need
to see that some other folks are buying the digital radios too,

so I'll
have people to talk to.

PSK is too slow for
data transmission of LARGE and multi-megabyte amounts of data,

end of
story.

As for PSK, you are correct that it is too slow for data
transmission. But that little 31 baud signal was never intended

for Data
transmission. It was intended for correctable text at a rate that a
reasonably proficient typist could tap away at the keyboard in real
time. Also a mode that can be efficiently operated at QRP and lover
levels. And for that, it is an excellent mode.

- 73 de Mike KB3EIA -

Really?

I see many QSO's taking place on ONE FREQ. The packets would contain a
crc number AND a serial no. denoting the conversation they pertain too,
as well as a no. indicating their logical place in decoding ...

Presently, only one QSO can take place on a single freq ...

NO, wasteful is MOST ACCURATE, only the ignorant need respond without
fully educating themselves ...

JS

================================================= ==========
Reason: rewrite: "ignorant" is a little... borderline. Could you

reword that. Thanks. VK2CJC.

From
Fri Mar 16 14:28:15 2007
by mail2.panix.com (Postfix) with ESMTP id A1BACCACED
for ; Fri, 16 Mar 2007

13:46:44 -0400 (EDT)

From: John Smith I
Newsgroups: rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Subject: PRB-1 and CCNR's

. com

B1trX12ebOQbBbwPbv1Z6qFJ3cPnNdnAgGPk3uzrKJKS8GjZA+ I9+9bN9Rxdd9Gis/+O2yfjx9JJYFIpArUPQte8I5QRvASxNnz511Ey1hMDEkFLWpPG fLBD83EZDrQh

IfhgqsQb65afI8fKmDSv/K5Upt00pCx+WNDaMFgyNEZNn/53YIvAvSaUpgtGbwvatWt/En/vPOlUetJkKmCGnA==

Cecil Moore wrote:

Legally, it is not a contract unless you agree to it.
What would happen if you simply crossed out the antenna
restrictions clause before signing the contract?
--
73, Cecil, w5dxp.com

Wouldn't ya' rather stab the person who drafted it with a pen?

evil grin

Regards,
JS

================================================= ==========
Reason: rewrite: Borderline inappropriate (advocacy of violence,

even if joking, and not much more). - K3FU

From
Sun Apr 8 11:12:23 2007
by mail2.panix.com (Postfix) with ESMTP id B522DCA98F
for ; Sun, 8 Apr 2007

11:00:11 -0400 (EDT)
by pegasus.linuxfan.it (Postfix) with ESMTP id 13AE59B163
for ; Sun, 8 Apr

2007 16:37:12 +0200 (CEST)
by localhost (pegasus.linuxfan.it [127.0.0.1]) (amavisd-new, port

10024)
with ESMTP id 17385-06
for ;
Sun, 8 Apr 2007 16:37:11 +0200 (CEST)

From: John Smith I
Newsgroups: rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Subject: QRO 2500DX MOD

14:37:11 GMT)

rv:1.8.0.10) Gecko/20070221 Thunderbird/1.5.0.10 Mnenhy/0.7.5.0

Dr.Ace wrote:
Does anyone know how to modify a QRO 2500DX amplifier to work on

the 10
meter band ?

Thanks , Ace - WH2T

.

It should already cover 10:

http://www.qrotec.com/spec25m3.html

If it doesn't cover 11 meters, it probably has some type of "notch
filter" which needs removing ...

--
JS

*Enter a long URL to make tiny http://tinyurl.com:*

================================================= ==========
Reason: unlawful:

From Sun Aug 12 18:28:24 2007

[130.133.4.7])
by mail1.panix.com (Postfix) with ESMTP id E31B529410
for ; Sun, 12 Aug 2007

18:28:21 -0400 (EDT)
id 1IKLv2-0004En-9N
for
; Mon, 13 Aug

2007 00:28:20 +0200

From: John Smith I
Newsgroups: rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Subject: Whatever Happened to the Electronics Hobbyist?
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2007 15:28:19 -0700

6R0GAHRZ37rTVcb4Zdg/BJNLUZpvaObmAfx/kgvSo+Fxw5cFwJ/RKY0eG+owwr5cW3LUlsQumBrfWPyS3JRAHM/3V+19ljdViBNKgNaInNGVFii3dL/JMr6O3baoB5An

1Z/jLeDz1XZpzTV2cCV3yfEGVxWMW2KEQ8OtlylYzxGXMKTpux+Lt 3Xdz10Ld4RoN66zEbT08PzcEEA08JFbQw==

Paul W. Schleck wrote:

Paul Schlock moderated the projects they can build?

JS

================================================= ==========
Reason: harassing:

From
Sun Aug 12 20:32:21 2007

[130.133.4.7])
by mail2.panix.com (Postfix) with ESMTP id 4CB3A34811
for ; Sun, 12 Aug 2007

20:32:18 -0400 (EDT)
id 1IKNqy-0008Jo-38
for
; Mon, 13 Aug

2007 02:32:16 +0200

From: John Smith I
Newsgroups: rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Subject: I think my messages will always be rejected, it has to do

with the
idiots attempting group mind control!
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2007 17:32:12 -0700

v+ZKh0D/9uyQy0NPzTlqMYBe6x9lMQmod2QtVtCl1B9+iDKGII8xb/rgSXZx3KZfW+aOJ2a0M4YctNcW0Ivxv+51JS3gUb/xp1S+j5NaafeBoiqJ9QjhIQEIchEK3Er8

d5s0Zo9EaSTbb3hds4pEmWhStd4iAquEI515brVPBojaYcBmis OHtkITz2UH5H0dRF6bGGaWaPjAarWcK6Xw8Q==

DUH!!!

JS

================================================= ==========
Reason: rewrite: Ace - WH2T

From
Tue Jan 15 04:04:28 2008

[209.85.146.180])
by mail1.panix.com (Postfix) with ESMTP id B626629406
for ; Tue, 15 Jan

2008 04:04:27 -0500 (EST)
for ; Tue, 15

Jan 2008 01:04:27 -0800 (PST)
DKIM-Signatu v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed;
d=gmail.com; s=gamma;

h=domainkey-signatureceived:received:message-id:date:from:user-agent:mime-version:to:subject:references:in-reply-to:content-type:content-transfer-encoding;
bh=uymkBtNCeeZu7vJ9vz6wHxdMWNEv7477P44woCi1njo=;

b=w6di+FiaYfN2Y/iSxRzvBiE4Q0efS8Bj2tI2ZheVGX1JM8GnfX1Szqa/P6cLDZPx3sFYDUT52OIt1hZDwK4GxVdGZzbhC8WRYwNQzMl/Q70mGOpZNVMqhfFa5wg53nwDCF0W1QisrxZDOzxtHQ1CVpwnOb u8VXstYgQCDeoE0XM=
DomainKey-Signatu a=rsa-sha1; c=nofws;
d=gmail.com; s=gamma;

h=message-id:date:from:user-agent:mime-version:to:subject:references:in-reply-to:content-type:content-transfer-encoding;

b=siKmWoxdHGxLvXA0HsZc0mSsjp+VWiY54r6uGtde99ZJu3Li kFwhOJz3mK5nBtJlBgQPM1AXWsotg/T0XVugBpZJAiw+OJxktGMDpsfGdNrF6Rsi2KL51r1Fr1Sq4Va/VEoyxqHbF9uldQ6Wl5Ko0wR2OfIBeKO9DTJFCIN051Y=
by mx.google.com with ESMTPS id

k39sm19210934wah.4.2008.01.15.01.04.25
(version=TLSv1/SSLv3 cipher=RC4-MD5);
Tue, 15 Jan 2008 01:04:25 -0800 (PST)