Old August 27th 08, 09:17 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Baluns?

Everyone makes fun of newbies buying ready-built dipoles on eBay, but
nobody can direct you to where to buy baluns? Searched hi and lo
online, and what I found, was more expensive than buying a ready-made
dipole! I'd like to buy a balun, and attach my own cut-to-length
wire, but can't find cheap baluns ANYWHERE.

Where are you Elmers buying your baluns?
Old August 27th 08, 09:27 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

dbc254 wrote:
Where are you Elmers buying your baluns?

How about balun kits from Amidon?
https://www.amidoncorp.com/categories/12?page_number=2
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com
Old August 27th 08, 09:43 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

dbc254 wrote:
Everyone makes fun of newbies buying ready-built dipoles on eBay, but
nobody can direct you to where to buy baluns? Searched hi and lo
online, and what I found, was more expensive than buying a ready-made
dipole! I'd like to buy a balun, and attach my own cut-to-length
wire, but can't find cheap baluns ANYWHERE.

Where are you Elmers buying your baluns?

They are simply too simple to build to buy!

http://www.universal-radio.com/CATALOG/misc/amidon.html

Pick your core, grab a few feet of wire ...

Regards,
JS
Old August 27th 08, 09:50 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

dbc254 wrote:
Everyone makes fun of newbies buying ready-built dipoles on eBay, but
nobody can direct you to where to buy baluns? Searched hi and lo
online, and what I found, was more expensive than buying a ready-made
dipole! I'd like to buy a balun, and attach my own cut-to-length
wire, but can't find cheap baluns ANYWHERE.

Where are you Elmers buying your baluns?

Oh yeah, you probably guessed ... but just in case -- we make fun of
newbies buying baluns too! (well, unun's also) 8-)

Regards,
JS

Old August 27th 08, 10:31 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Bob wrote:
why this two companies? Keep for yourself.

why you "talk" so? Speak him not me! 8-)

Regards,
JS

Half-a-Brain-McCain'n Insane; So Lawdy Mama, It Looks Like Obama!
Old August 27th 08, 11:14 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"dbc254" wrote in message
Everyone makes fun of newbies buying ready-built dipoles on eBay, but
nobody can direct you to where to buy baluns? Searched hi and lo
online, and what I found, was more expensive than buying a ready-made
dipole! I'd like to buy a balun, and attach my own cut-to-length
wire, but can't find cheap baluns ANYWHERE.

Where are you Elmers buying your baluns?

you have coax? split one end, connect center conductor to one wire, shield
to the other. wind a bunch of turns (there is a web site somewhere with
numbers) around a piece of pvc pipe, and voila, instant balun. you want to
pay for off the shelf stuff, expect to pay for the ferrites that can handle
1500w all the way down to 160m, plus construction, packaging, shipping, and
marketting... that stuff is more expensive than the rest of the antenna.

want to be even cheaper? use twin lead, connect it directly to the wire and
run it down to a tuner that includes a balun... do it all in one place with
less loss.

Old August 28th 08, 01:02 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Dave" wrote in message

"dbc254" wrote in message
Everyone makes fun of newbies buying ready-built dipoles on eBay, but
nobody can direct you to where to buy baluns? Searched hi and lo
online, and what I found, was more expensive than buying a ready-made
dipole! I'd like to buy a balun, and attach my own cut-to-length
wire, but can't find cheap baluns ANYWHERE.

Where are you Elmers buying your baluns?

you have coax? split one end, connect center conductor to one wire,
shield to the other. wind a bunch of turns (there is a web site somewhere
with numbers) around a piece of pvc pipe, and voila, instant balun. you
want to pay for off the shelf stuff, expect to pay for the ferrites that
can handle 1500w all the way down to 160m, plus construction, packaging,
shipping, and marketting... that stuff is more expensive than the rest of
the antenna.

Price the 20 or 30 feet of coax to wind the balun (choke) and it may be
cheeper to buy a balun.

I don't see wasting time or money on a balun for just a simple dipole .
Sure it may make the patern vary from the normal textbook, but who cares
most of the time. Most people have to put the antenna up wherever they can
and lots of time it is not in the desired direction anyway.

NOw a beam or some other antenna design is differant.

Old August 28th 08, 04:59 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Regards,
JS

Half-a-Brain-McCain'n Insane; So Lawdy Mama, It Looks Like Obama!

I thought as much-- Your problem is obvious.

Old August 28th 08, 05:19 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

JB wrote:
Regards,
JS

Half-a-Brain-McCain'n Insane; So Lawdy Mama, It Looks Like Obama!

I thought as much-- Your problem is obvious.

What?

You think yours is hidden? :-|

Baluns.. JohnM CB 4 September 16th 05 04:51 AM
Baluns B.Binggeli Antenna 0 August 23rd 05 02:28 PM
Baluns Peter Barbella Homebrew 1 April 20th 05 01:54 AM
1 to x baluns pegge Antenna 20 February 1st 05 05:26 AM
Baluns JEFF UK Antenna 6 February 18th 04 09:01 PM