Old January 29th 05, 01:49 PM
pegge

Default 1 to x baluns

I would like to build baluns with non-conventional ratios, and am sure
I have seen something in HAM RADIO. I have the last abt 20 years of
the mag, but I find nothing in the index-lists . A direction to the article
(or to somewhere on the net!) would be very much appreciated!
As an afterthought, it could be the 73 mag that I have from its start
to -78

TIA / per / sm7aha

Old January 29th 05, 02:01 PM
Cecil Moore

pegge wrote:
I would like to build baluns with non-conventional ratios, and am sure
I have seen something in HAM RADIO.

Jerry Sevick's (W2FMI) books contain some information on
odd ratio transmission line transformers. I think they are
available from the ARRL.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old January 29th 05, 06:08 PM

If you obtain a normal toroid type transformer with say 6 connections
(female connection)
for various so called standard ratios you can connect these to a rotary
switch which then allows you
to obtain multiple ratios over and above those listed on the transformer.
One of these at the top of the tower and driven by a stepping motor should
cover all your needs.
Regards
Art

"Cecil Moore" wrote in message
pegge wrote:
I would like to build baluns with non-conventional ratios, and am sure
I have seen something in HAM RADIO.

Jerry Sevick's (W2FMI) books contain some information on
odd ratio transmission line transformers. I think they are
available from the ARRL.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Newsgroups

Old January 30th 05, 01:26 AM
Reg Edwards

Baluns, in general, are the least important component in HF antenna systems.

The first question to ask yourself is why do you think you need a balun?

If you can't think of a reason then you don't need one.

If you CAN think of a specific reason then ask yourseslf, or somebody, what
type of balun do you want. There's very little to choose between them.

But to get anywhere at all you MUST decide in terms of numerical and
statistical quantities.

Please be specific. Or just copy the widely distributed, plagiarised, old
wives, average recommendations.

And beware of balun salesmen and sales ladies. There are more than one means
of making a living in our capitalist system. And everybody has a human
right, irregular or not, to make a living. Thus confusing baluns. ;o)

In conclusion - what's your numerical problem?
----
Reg, G4FGQ

Old January 30th 05, 02:29 AM
Buck

Here is the URL to a home-brew 4:1 balun that should work from 160-10
meters. I am interested in a 6:1 balun.

Since I have the materials for this balun, is there a similar one for
a 6:1 or is there an easy way to convert this to varying ratios of
baluns. For example 'double the number of turns for 50% more X:1
ratio'?

Thanks in advance

--
Buck
N4PGW

Old January 30th 05, 08:48 AM
Ian White, G3SEK

Reg Edwards wrote:

If you CAN think of a specific reason then ask yourseslf, or somebody,
what type of balun do you want. There's very little to choose between
them.

But to get anywhere at all you MUST decide in terms of numerical and
statistical quantities.

Please be specific. Or just copy the widely distributed, plagiarised,
old wives, average recommendations.

Looked in a mirror this morning, Reg? You're doing exactly what you
condemn - except that your widely distributed, old wife's, average
recommendations are ones you made up all by yourself.

The middle paragraph is the part that's right. But everything else that
you wrote either misses that point or flatly contradicts it.

http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek
Old January 30th 05, 05:28 PM
Reg Edwards

Dear Ian,

It's early in the morning. I havn't had time and I don't want to take much
time thinking about your rather slightly surprising comments.

You have completely misunderstood, gone off at a tangent, about my motives
in my very few writings on the subject of baluns.

I have never made recommendations about old-wives tales, whatever you think
they are, except, just in effect, to ignore them.

You, apparently, have now (quite mistakenly I venture to add) included
yourself amongst them.

Have you any shares in balun manufacturers? After all baluns are the only
thing left for old-wives and salesmen to haggle about. Don't bother
answering.

In conclusion, unless people can specify, in numerical terms, what is their
problem, then there's no hope of sensibly aquiring a balun of any sort. And
I have never yet met anybody who has so specified.

I feel guilty at prolonging such a trivial matter. But it's such an early
hour of the day. Havn't had breakfast yet!

A very good morning to you Ian.
---
Reg, G4FGQ

Old January 30th 05, 07:02 PM
Cecil Moore

Buck wrote:
Here is the URL to a home-brew 4:1 balun that should work from 160-10
meters. I am interested in a 6:1 balun.

Could you tell us why you are interested in a 6:1 balun?
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old January 30th 05, 07:51 PM
Ian Jackson

In message , Reg Edwards
writes
[...]

Evenin' Reg.
Not disagreeing with you at all. Just nit-picking about your less than
immaculate grammar!

My only problem with baluns is not understanding the obsession with the
4:1 or 9:1 transformation ratio.

73, Ian.

Old January 30th 05, 08:23 PM
Buck

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 13:02:08 -0600, Cecil Moore
wrote:

Buck wrote:
Here is the URL to a home-brew 4:1 balun that should work from 160-10
meters. I am interested in a 6:1 balun.

Could you tell us why you are interested in a 6:1 balun?

Sure, thanks for the reply.

I have been looking at OCF dipoles and there are some that don't
appear to need a tuner when using a 6:1 balun. I have this dumb
obsession with learning about and working on multiband antennas that
don't need tuners.

I see some of the designs, and I would like to try them. Since the
4:1 is made from material in which I have an abundance, I would like
to know if I can make a 6:1 balun with the same stuff. While I am
thinking about that, if so, I would like to know if there is a rule of
thumb about making baluns like that so I can experiment with various
versions.

One OCF that I looked at showed an acceptable SWR on all bands between
30 and 6 meters with the exception of 17 meters. That's the kind of
thing I like to see and work with.

--
Buck
N4PGW

Why the 4:1 or 9:1 baluns? Ian Jackson Antenna 14 February 1st 05 06:50 PM
TV type Ferrite Cores / Ferrite Cores / Magnetic Longwire Baluns (MLBs) and more RHF Shortwave 0 January 9th 05 02:06 PM
Two Shortwave Listener (SWL) 10:1 Baluns for Random Wire Antennas RHF Swap 0 October 6th 04 09:51 PM
Baluns JEFF UK Antenna 6 February 18th 04 09:01 PM
RF chokes and baluns: black magic or experimentation? Jack Twilley Antenna 4 October 1st 03 10:18 AM