RadioBanter

-   -   Clarifying Space, "Ether" and Nothingness (https://www.radiobanter.com/antenna/136817-clarifying-space-ether-nothingness.html)

[email protected] September 20th 08 01:58 AM

Clarifying Space, "Ether" and Nothingness

Einstein did not prove or disprove or advocate an ether theory. He did
dispel ether with any mechanical characteristics, which is what Cecil
was talking about (at least he implied with his reference from an
Einstein speec) and what I also have said before but hel did not
recognize. From Cecil's earlier reference the following paragraph
(from a speech long after 1905 by A. Einstein) is found:

"More careful reflection teaches us, however, that the special theory
of relativity does not compel us to deny ether. We may assume the
existence of an ether (but) only we must give up ascribing a definite
state of motion to it, i.e. we must *by abstraction* (dfinn emphasis)
take from it the last mechanical characteristic which Lorentz had
still left it. We shall see later that this point of view, the
conceivability of which shall at once endeavour to make more
intelligible by a somewhat halting comparison, is justified by the
results of the general theory of relativity."

A key word is "abstraction". That is what the philosopher Kostro does
not understand. Johnny Smith, in plain English this whole exercise
means that Einstein reflected that forces (in this case gravitational)
can be considered to act on space, primarily. The force's effect on
mass would then be a secondary condition that occurs due to the
force's distortion of space. It is a rather cool way of looking at
things...it is an acceptable way of conceptualizing the universe.
Looking at space in such a way allows us to consider that "absolute
empty" space must be "something" because forces act on it. Light
follows space. Space directs the transport of light in a way that is
fully dependent on the forces acting on space. The something can be
referred to as a type of ether which directs the the transport of
light. But this ether is an abstraction, depending upon whether you
consider space or mass to be the "primary" entity upon which the
forces act. Now Johnny, I really "get" the additional things that you
are saying (they are things that have no relationship to this
concept). You are calling your ether something that is material, which
Einstein definitely ruled out in the Special Theory in 1905. You drag
out the well-known hypothesess about the exotic matter stuff, with
particles popping in and out of physical form in space-time and
neutinos or whatever and call the physical matter (or perhaps exotic
matter) "the ether". Even though Einstein ruled that out material
ether in 1905, let us bring back the material ether once again for
nostalgic purposes. We then find that these exotic/physical matter
alternations do not occupy all of space all of the time. This means
some parts of space truly are absolutely "empty" some of the time.
What is there to propagate your light waves at those points in space-
time when the material ether is not there and the space is absolutely
empty? hmmmm...and to add insult to injury, Cecil is faced with the
prospect that at some coordinates in space, some of the time, there
exists "nothing" some of the time. I agree with Einstein's *abstract*
ether in exactly the same way that Einstein does: only when you
consider space the primary. But no one says I must take space as the
primary; to me it is still more obvious that matter should be the
primary, where no ether is required or indicated.

John Smith September 20th 08 02:10 AM

Clarifying Space, "Ether" and Nothingness

wrote:
[ignorant chit we know well]

When a guy gets it wrong, and is corrected, and gets it wrong again, and
is corrected, etc. ... he is an idiot.

You have given idiot new meaning; you have take in word idiot to new
heights, and you have not stopped there. There has yet to be a name
given to the gobble-de-gook you spew.

I am sure they will give you that Guinness Record now!, once a name for
it has been determined ... sad, so very sad ...

The personal attacks are a dime a dozen and done here daily ... not even
an honorable mention given for those.

Regards,
JS

John Smith September 20th 08 02:13 AM

Clarifying Space, "Ether" and Nothingness

wrote:
[ ... ]

And, in conclusion ... plonk ... thread plonk ...

.... good luck ... bye ...

JS

[email protected] September 20th 08 02:30 AM

Clarifying Space, "Ether" and Nothingness

On Sep 19, 9:13*pm, John Smith wrote:
wrote:

[ ... ]

And, in conclusion ... plonk ... thread plonk ...

... good luck ... bye ...

JS

Thanks Johnny, that's what I wanted. You're number 1
@
@
@@@@

Cecil Moore[_2_] September 20th 08 03:07 PM

wrote:
Einstein did not prove or disprove or advocate an ether theory.

On the contrary, he said in 1920: "According to the general
theory of relativity, *space without ether is unthinkable*; ..."

From Cecil's earlier reference the following paragraph
(from a speech long after 1905 by A. Einstein) is found:
"More careful reflection teaches us, however, that the special theory
of relativity does not compel us to deny ether."

Could be, but what about the general theory of relativity
which came later? You seem to be missing the fact that Einstein's
statement applies to the *special theory of relativity* which
preceded the *general theory of relativity* about which Einstein
said in 1920:

"Recapitulating, we may say that according to the general
theory of relativity, space is endowed with *physical qualities*;
in this sense, therefore, *there exists an ether*. According to
the general theory of relativity, *space without ether is unthinkable*;
for in such space there not only would be *no propagation of light*,
but also no possibility of existence for standards of space and time
(measuring-rods and clocks), nor therefore any space-time intervals
in the physical sense."

According to Einstein, the ether is a necessary requirement
for the general theory of relativity to be valid. Without ether,
there would obviously be no propagation of RF either. As I said
earlier, EM waves cannot propagate through absolute nothing and
I am just agreeing with Einstein.

Einstein reflected that forces (in this case gravitational)
can be considered to act on space, primarily. The force's effect on
mass would then be a secondary condition that occurs due to the
force's distortion of space.

You have a built-in contradiction there. If gravity can distort
space, then space consists of particles upon which gravity can
act (in accordance with the tenets of quantum physics). They may
be exotic particles but particles nonetheless.

You are calling your ether something that is material, which
Einstein definitely ruled out in the Special Theory in 1905.

But by 1920, Einstein had reintroduced a physical either as
a necessary condition for the general theory of relativity
to be valid.

Quantum Physics tells us that everything that exists exists
as particles. If that is true, then everything that exists
is indeed "material" although ether is most likely an "exotic
material" like (or maybe the same as) dark-matter/dark-energy.
--
73, Cecil
http://www.w5dxp.com

Cecil Moore[_2_] September 20th 08 03:10 PM

John Smith wrote:
You have given idiot new meaning; you have take in word idiot to new
heights, and you have not stopped there. There has yet to be a name
given to the gobble-de-gook you spew.

e.g.
1. Transmission line currents are common-mode.
2. Richard Feynman was not a quantum physicist.
3. Ether is not required for propagation of light waves.
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com
"According to the general theory of relativity,

Ed Cregger September 20th 08 04:58 PM

"Cecil Moore" wrote in message
John Smith wrote:
You have given idiot new meaning; you have take in word idiot to new
heights, and you have not stopped there. There has yet to be a name
given to the gobble-de-gook you spew.

e.g.
1. Transmission line currents are common-mode.
2. Richard Feynman was not a quantum physicist.
3. Ether is not required for propagation of light waves.
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com
"According to the general theory of relativity,
space without ether is unthinkable." Albert Einstein

-------------

All of this chatter is really a contest to see who will lose their self
control and scream, "IT'S AETHER, DAMN IT - NOT ETHER!!!".

But I'm not gonna fall for that. Nosiree!!! G

Ed, NM2K

Cecil Moore[_2_] September 20th 08 05:21 PM

Ed Cregger wrote:
All of this chatter is really a contest to see who will lose their self
control and scream, "IT'S AETHER, DAMN IT - NOT ETHER!!!".

Einstein called it "ether" and who am I to argue?
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com

JB[_3_] September 20th 08 08:40 PM

Clarifying Space, "Ether" and Nothingness

Einstein called it "ether" and who am I to argue?
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com
"According to the general theory of relativity,
space without ether is unthinkable." Albert Einstein

In most of science, God is unthinkable. But then, God said he won't do
tricks for non-believers. "The fool in his heart says there is no God"

I can't conceive of God being a medium, but perhaps he is all that and much
more. There is no "nothingness" Philosophically. Only degrees of scarcity
of something that we perceive or expect to be there. Space is predominantly
empty of matter but there is some from time to time. Perhaps the stars,
planets and other phenomenon are there to keep the space clean. We don't
fully know what we don't perceive (damn little enough what we DO perceive) .
"Ether" is a supposed medium that facilitates an operational paradigm.

Bottom line is: Not all things must be theoretically proven to be
practically utilized. The fact that a theory is practically utilized in a
given application, does not infer that theory is infallible. For instance,
in the application that at any given instant we are oriented with respect to
the tangent of the Earth's surface. So that for the case that we are
instantaneously at one point on the Earth, it doesn't matter if the Earth is
flat, round, oblong or Spherical, even though it has been proven otherwise.
Likewise, to think that an experiment that uses a particular theory and is
successful will fully prove that theory over another yet to come is foolish.

So, conclusions based on application of far reaching theories should be held
at arms length that we might maintain our objectivity. After all, Einstein
and Newton both died before they could achieve a unified theory of the
universe. Nor do I expect those still living will either. For now, none of
them have been proved infallible.

"FREE SPACE" with respect to antenna theory is what? I thought it was
conceptual place so an antenna with a known potential at it's terminals
could be evaluated without ground effects. Is there truly a difference for
our calculations between outer space and several wavelengths above ground in
reasonably dry air?

Richard Clark September 21st 08 05:19 PM

On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 14:38:39 GMT, "JB" wrote:

In most of science, God is unthinkable.

"FREE SPACE" with respect to antenna theory is what? I thought it was
conceptual place

Two thoughts, both wrong. It takes very little investigation to
confirm their errors.

The greatest proponent of science, accuracy, and religion (thus
confounding the first quote above), Lord Kelvin, offered:
"Do not be afraid of being free thinkers.
If you think strongly enough you will be
forced by science to the belief in God,
which is the foundation of all religion.
You will find science not antagonistic
but helpful to religion."
quoted by
Rev. Professor Henslow, May 1903

Similar quotes from Einstein, Oppenheimer, Feynman... are legion.

Is there truly a difference for
our calculations between outer space and several wavelengths above ground in
reasonably dry air?

This appears to be set up with the word "truth" to always yield a
proof of invalidity. Any standard reference reveals the difference
and is so commonly available as to make one wonder how this question
arrived on the doorstep. Engineering deals not with truths (however
many would like to force fit that term into conversation) but with
practical implementations. Is there a practical difference for our
calculations? No, not unless you have a particular need for accuracy
and precision. Precision is often unnecessary, especially extra
digits stretching beyond the resolution of the original data supplied
to give those computational results. However, accuracy is all, but it
does not demand the nebulous qualifier (in itself a distraction) of
"truth."

You can be accurate to 1 place of resolution, or to 10. Men have been
sent to the gallows without any precision or accuracy of a measurement
and that verdict was weighed on the "truth" of the evidence. Men have
been rescued from the gallows on the basis of parts-per-million
discrepancies that proved their innocence, and "truth" was never
determined, only falsity.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

Jeff Liebermann[_2_] September 21st 08 05:47 PM

Clarifying Space, "Ether" and Nothingness

On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 14:38:39 GMT, "JB" wrote:

In most of science, God is unthinkable. But then, God said he won't do
tricks for non-believers. "The fool in his heart says there is no God"

Of course there's at least one god. How else would you explain why my
designs work? Science, logic, modeling software, and common sense all
suggest that my antennas will never work, yet they do. I credit their
success to divine guidance and inspiration and refuse to entertain any
other explanations.

For those that believe, you're preaching to the choir.
For those that don't believe, you're wasting your time.
For those that aren't sure, a good sales pitch might work.

"FREE SPACE" with respect to antenna theory is what?

It's a hypothetical condition, where an uncharacteristic fit of
generosity causes the site owner to not charge for antenna space on
his tower. I don't think that's happened since biblical times, but
miracles are always possible.

Around here, if someone mentions ether, they're probably running a
Methylamphetamine lab.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D

John Smith September 21st 08 06:17 PM

Richard Clark wrote:
[...]

Richard:

Well written!

Yes, if one journeys in quest of an equation, a formula, a design
parameter, a workable solution--all are within in grasp.

If ones journeys to find "the truth", one finds himself/herself on the
path of infinity ...

Regards,
JS

Tom Donaly September 21st 08 07:23 PM

Richard Clark wrote:
[...]

The god of Oppenheimer, Feynman and the others is not the god of
Sarah Palin, or even JB, whoever he is. Physicists, as a whole,
love religion, but they're not very good at it.
73,
Tom Donaly, KA6RUH

Tom Donaly September 21st 08 07:28 PM

Jeff Liebermann wrote:
[...]

If there is a god, and He makes your antennas work in spite of His
physical laws, it's only because he feels sorry for you.
73,
Tom Donaly, KA6RUH

Richard Clark September 21st 08 07:53 PM

Clarifying Space, "Ether" and Nothingness

On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 11:23:55 -0700, "Tom Donaly"
wrote:

The god of Oppenheimer, Feynman and the others is not the god of
Sarah Palin, or even JB, whoever he is. Physicists, as a whole,
love religion, but they're not very good at it.

Hi Tom,

I think I will amend this statement to no particular affront to you. I
would say Physicists as a whole love God, they are secure enough not
to have to "prove it," and they find some unfortunate religious
zealotry as a curious mix of superstition, bigotry, and vanity. Every
scientist who marvels at his or her own limitations in the face of
discovery is in awe of creation. Everyone who wants to pigeon hole
creation into categories of truth, righteousness, and a means to
define morality have been swinging hammers on the crucifix for 2000
years.

They argue with a perverse ferocity like they can't sink that nail
deep enough.

I will return to my email with several who prefer to discuss antenna
design.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

John Smith September 21st 08 08:00 PM

Tom Donaly wrote:

The god of Oppenheimer, Feynman and the others is not the god of
Sarah Palin, or even JB, whoever he is. Physicists, as a whole,
love religion, but they're not very good at it.
73,
Tom Donaly, KA6RUH

The most important statement we have on the subject, from one who
claimed/claims to be God went something, like:

.... always has been, is, always will be ...

Krist, even "he" doesn't know! So, how are those other guys even going
to have a clue? LOL

Regards,
JS

Ed Cregger September 21st 08 10:03 PM

"John Smith" wrote in message
Tom Donaly wrote:

The god of Oppenheimer, Feynman and the others is not the god of
Sarah Palin, or even JB, whoever he is. Physicists, as a whole,
love religion, but they're not very good at it.
73,
Tom Donaly, KA6RUH

The most important statement we have on the subject, from one who
claimed/claims to be God went something, like:

... always has been, is, always will be ...

Krist, even "he" doesn't know! So, how are those other guys even going to
have a clue? LOL

Regards,
JS

------------

I have no problem with acknowledging the existence of God, though I doubt
that God often takes the form of George Burns.

On the other hand, it is religion that I detest - as though God would speak
with only one man and then depend upon that man to spread His Word
accurately throughout Creation. (there - now I can remove my aluminum foil
helmet...)

Ed, NM2K

John Smith September 21st 08 10:33 PM

Ed Cregger wrote:

I have no problem with acknowledging the existence of God, though I doubt
that God often takes the form of George Burns.

On the other hand, it is religion that I detest - as though God would speak
with only one man and then depend upon that man to spread His Word
accurately throughout Creation. (there - now I can remove my aluminum foil
helmet...)

Ed, NM2K

Ed:

You sound like myself. However, I was raised catholic and was too ugly
for any priest to want to molest; I was always checking out the nuns
anyway, so you can imagine how desperate I was! But then, that is all a
story for another day ... chuckle

However, like so many, I jumped on evolution as soon as I found out "it
was the intellectual thing to do." However, you know where that road
goes--pursued long enough, it is a large circle which leaves you with
the possibility of a supreme being or race (Gods and Angels? ... well,
what can I say, they'd look like "Gods" to us!) Indeed, evolution makes
one take a larger "leap of faith" than alternatives--indeed, IMHO it is
just another "religion" to replace another ... but then, that is all a
story for another day, also ...

My burning questions:

1) Did God build an ether to be exploited? (and it sure does look like it!)

2) And, if so, what type of antenna to do this would be required? (and,
firstly, is there any phenomenon occurring which would indicate an area
to explore in pursuit of this/these end(s)?)

Regards,
JS

Jeff Liebermann[_2_] September 22nd 08 01:28 AM

Clarifying Space, "Ether" and Nothingness

On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 14:33:40 -0700, John Smith
wrote:

1) Did God build an ether to be exploited? (and it sure does look like it!)

If the radio gods had meant for man to understand how such things
work, he wouldn't have made it so damn complicated.

2) And, if so, what type of antenna to do this would be required? (and,
firstly, is there any phenomenon occurring which would indicate an area
to explore in pursuit of this/these end(s)?)

Isotropic antenna. Works equally lousy in all directions for hearing
the big bang background hiss (the voice of creation). It's also
non-denominational, non-polarized, and non-existent. It can't be
seen, found, built, or purchased. Think of it as a miraculous antenna
that only the gods can appreciate and use.

As usual, man has attempted to mimic the gods by attempting to build
an isotropic radiator. It's close, but no miracle antenna.
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/antennas/isotropic/index.html
Argh. The .NEC files have disappeared again. I'll fix (after I'm
done rebuilding an air compressor).

Richard Harrison September 22nd 08 06:29 AM

Clarifying Space, "Ether" and Nothingness

Cecil, W5DXP wrote:
"But by 1920, Einstein had reintroduced a physical ether as a necessary
condition for the general theory of relativity to be valid."

Recall the high school physics experiment of a clock ticking inside a
bell jar. The air is then pumped out. When the air is nearly all gone,
the clock ticks become nearly inaudible but you can still clearly see
the clock. If ether had been inside the jar it would have been evacuated
too and the EM lightwave would have lacked a medium, making sight of the
clock disappear along with its sound. It seems likely to me that this
experiment indicates that no medium is required for transmission of
light despite the need of a medium to transport sound.

Best regards, Richard Harrison, KB5WZI

John Smith September 22nd 08 06:37 AM

Richard Harrison wrote:
Cecil, W5DXP wrote:
"But by 1920, Einstein had reintroduced a physical ether as a necessary
condition for the general theory of relativity to be valid."

Recall the high school physics experiment of a clock ticking inside a
bell jar. The air is then pumped out. When the air is nearly all gone,
the clock ticks become nearly inaudible but you can still clearly see
the clock. If ether had been inside the jar it would have been evacuated
too and the EM lightwave would have lacked a medium, making sight of the
clock disappear along with its sound. It seems likely to me that this
experiment indicates that no medium is required for transmission of
light despite the need of a medium to transport sound.

Best regards, Richard Harrison, KB5WZI

Ever see a wire bucket that you carry golf balls in, to the driving range?

Now, it works wonderfully on the golf balls, attempt filling it with
water and you find it leaks! Same thing with that bell jar. You simply
can't pump the ether out ...

Indeed, the bell jar, being made of the large molecules of our matter
would appear as a very large screen, or even like a layer of gravel to a
liquid/gas, to the quantum-structure-nature of ether ...

Regards,
JS

Cecil Moore[_2_] September 22nd 08 12:12 PM

Richard Harrison wrote:
It seems likely to me that this
experiment indicates that no medium is required for transmission of
light despite the need of a medium to transport sound.

If the vacuum pump was evacuating ether along with
air molecules, the clock would also be evacuated.

An opaque solid is a medium that will pass sound but
not light. A vacuum is a medium that will pass light
but not sound. One cannot evacuate ether using a
vacuum pump.

In that evacuated space in the bottle, two conducting
plates will be pushed together although connected to
nothing. What does the pushing if not something in
the vacuum medium?
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com

Cecil Moore[_2_] September 22nd 08 12:20 PM

John Smith wrote:
Indeed, the bell jar, being made of the large molecules of our matter
would appear as a very large screen, or even like a layer of gravel to a
liquid/gas, to the quantum-structure-nature of ether ...

Consider that the ether may be made out of exotic dark
matter capable of occupying the same space as the glass
in the jar, indeed providing the very structure that
allows the glass to exist in the form that we perceive.
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com

John Smith September 22nd 08 03:18 PM

Cecil Moore wrote:
John Smith wrote:
Indeed, the bell jar, being made of the large molecules of our matter
would appear as a very large screen, or even like a layer of gravel to
a liquid/gas, to the quantum-structure-nature of ether ...

Consider that the ether may be made out of exotic dark
matter capable of occupying the same space as the glass
in the jar, indeed providing the very structure that
allows the glass to exist in the form that we perceive.

Could be, but can be explained without "dark matter" ...

Lead is a very dense material, we use it as shielding against atomic
particles. Take a chunk in your hand and contemplate all those
molecules of lead you are holding. Then realize if that block of lead
were enlarged to scale, to where an atom of that lead were the size of
an orange, and you are standing next to one atom--the next closest atom
would be about the length of a football field away. This leaves plenty
of room for quantum material to pass though easier than wind passes
though a chain-link fence ...

Actually, I am far too conservative in this example ... this:

"If a drop of water were enlarged to the size of the earth, each atom in
it would be about the size of an orange. Yet most of an atom is empty
space through which the electrons whirl. The nucleus itself occupies
only one million-billionth of the atom's bulk. "

From he

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...792294,00.html

"Our matter", being used as a "bottle" for ether is a "SERIOUS JOKE!"

Regards,
JS

JB[_3_] September 22nd 08 04:56 PM

John Smith wrote:
Indeed, the bell jar, being made of the large molecules of our matter
would appear as a very large screen, or even like a layer of gravel to a
liquid/gas, to the quantum-structure-nature of ether ...

Consider that the ether may be made out of exotic dark
matter capable of occupying the same space as the glass
in the jar, indeed providing the very structure that
allows the glass to exist in the form that we perceive.
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com
"According to the general theory of relativity,
space without ether is unthinkable." Albert Einstein

Sure, Why not just spray paint the inside of the jar? Or use Houdini's
black cloth. Experiments like that prove that "medium" can only tend to
hinder photons. Hence photons travel best without ether. How does ether
affect the velocity factor of light?

Can't find my ether pump anyway, so we have do these experiments virtually.

John Smith September 22nd 08 06:27 PM

JB wrote:
... How does ether

affect the velocity factor of light?

Can't find my ether pump anyway, so we have do these experiments virtually.

Yeah, beginning there would be good, baby steps, at first ...

In the same way air affects the speed of sound, it limits its speed.

In some common units:

670,616,629.4 miles per hour.

983,571,056.4 feet per second (roughly one foot per nanosecond.)

186,282.397 miles per second.

I think the particles of a photon pass though the ether unhindered, why?
Now that is part of the whole question, isn't it ... perhaps it does
really "travel" at all ... there is that "odd statement" by Einstein,
motion cannot be held against the ether, for any logical observation.

Ether, apparently, is a true "lossless media" in the propagation of
waves ... well, that is how it appears from observation.

Regards,
JS

John Smith September 22nd 08 06:30 PM

Clarifying Space, "Ether" and Nothingness

John Smith wrote:
... perhaps it does
really "travel" at all ...
Regards,
JS

Does = doesn't ... but then, you already knew that.

Regards,
JS

Cecil Moore[_2_] September 22nd 08 06:33 PM

JB wrote:
Hence photons travel best without ether.

Photons cannot travel at all without ether because
the absence of ether means there is nothing through
which to travel. Photons simply cannot travel outside
of the universe into absolute nothingness.

How does ether affect the velocity factor of light?

The velocity factor of free space ether is 1.0.
The velocity factor of absolute nothing is zero.
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com

Cecil Moore[_2_] September 22nd 08 06:36 PM

John Smith wrote:
I think the particles of a photon pass though the ether unhindered, why?

Without the ether a photon would certainly be "hindered". :-)
How many photons have you ever known to leave the universe?
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com

JB[_3_] September 22nd 08 06:58 PM

Clarifying Space, "Ether" and Nothingness

Photons cannot travel at all without ether because
the absence of ether means there is nothing through
which to travel. Photons simply cannot travel outside
of the universe into absolute nothingness.

How does ether affect the velocity factor of light?

The velocity factor of free space ether is 1.0.
The velocity factor of absolute nothing is zero.

So a black cloth is somehow able to displace the Ether?

John Smith September 22nd 08 07:20 PM

JB wrote:

So a black cloth is somehow able to displace the Ether?

No, the ether permeates the black cloth, much the same way as air (a
gas), or water (a fluid) would ... surely you have seen these at play!
There should be no "leap of faith" necessary there!

.... baby step, baby steps ...

Regards,
JS

Cecil Moore[_2_] September 22nd 08 08:43 PM

JB wrote:
So a black cloth is somehow able to displace the Ether?

What a strange irrational conclusion.
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com

JB[_3_] September 23rd 08 12:40 AM

JB wrote:
So a black cloth is somehow able to displace the Ether?

What a strange irrational conclusion.

Oh but if it can make the clock disappear as easily as sucking out all the
ether...

Gotcha.

Cecil Moore[_2_] September 23rd 08 01:55 AM

JB wrote:
Oh but if it can make the clock disappear as easily as sucking out all the
ether...

Sorry, I don't recall saying that sucking out all the
ether is even possible, much less easy.
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com

John Smith September 23rd 08 01:57 AM

JB wrote:
Oh but if it can make the clock disappear as easily as sucking out all the
ether...

Gotcha.

Man, whatever you are on, I'd try it once, in the mountains, on a
weekend, but only if medical science could guarantee there wasn't
permanent brain damage or flashbacks--and it wore off shortly!

Maybe a twelve-step program?; have you considered that?

Regards,
JS

JB[_3_] September 23rd 08 02:38 AM

JB wrote:
Oh but if it can make the clock disappear as easily as sucking out all

the
ether...

Gotcha.

Man, whatever you are on, I'd try it once, in the mountains, on a
weekend, but only if medical science could guarantee there wasn't
permanent brain damage or flashbacks--and it wore off shortly!

Maybe a twelve-step program?; have you considered that?

Regards,
JS

Looking for substance?

[email protected] September 23rd 08 03:04 AM

On Sep 22, 7:20*am, Cecil Moore wrote:
John Smith wrote:
Indeed, the bell jar, being made of the large molecules of our matter
would appear as a very large screen, or even like a layer of gravel to a
liquid/gas, to the quantum-structure-nature of ether ...

Consider that the ether may be made out of exotic dark
matter capable of occupying the same space as the glass
in the jar, indeed providing the very structure that
allows the glass to exist in the form that we perceive.

It is possible to consider that as a possible explanation provided
that the hypothesis of exotic dark matter can ever be shown to exist
physically, which it can't. It can be used hypothetcally as a possible
explanation for the alleged expansion of the universe, which
originates from observations using our Hubble peep hole, from which
can see a only tiny portion of the total volume of the universe,
backwards in time. For that hypothesis to be true, of course we must
verify that alleged exotic matter, which cannot be observed, has a
negative gravitational force relative to physical mass, something not
intuitively obvious; this Hubble observation is where the advocates of
exotic matter get their most support. And here we are putting the cart
one light year ahead of the horse by considering that it is, or may
be, the so called ether for light. Other plausible hypotheses such as
an alternation of expansion and contraction cycles, possibly as a
damped waceform, do not depend on the abstraction of exotic matter at
all.

[email protected] September 23rd 08 03:06 AM

On Sep 22, 10:18*am, John Smith wrote:
Cecil Moore wrote:
John Smith wrote:
[...]

*From he

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...792294,00.html

"Our matter", being used as a "bottle" for ether is a "SERIOUS JOKE!"

Regards,
JS

It is so encouraging to note that our technical gurus gain their
scientific basis from the science writers at time.com. Wikipedia
too ;-)

[email protected] September 23rd 08 03:09 AM

On Sep 22, 1:36*pm, Cecil Moore wrote:
John Smith wrote:
I think the particles of a photon pass though the ether unhindered, why?

Without the ether a photon would certainly be "hindered". :-)
How many photons have you ever known to leave the universe?

That would be the total sum of all photons that have ever passed
beyond the event horizons of all black holes in the universe. That
might turn out to be quite a few photons.