Old October 8th 08, 06:07 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Dummy Load Antenna

Howard Kowall wrote:
Has anyone ever tried putting a dipole antenna up with the center insulator
being a high power 50 ohm dummy load,then connecting the dipole elements
across the dummy load.This would always keep a suitable match at 50 ohms
and satisfy the transceiver.Would most of the power go to the dummy load and
not the elements and wouldn't radiate.In thinking about this it all
logically makes sense the load would really never change or would it have
some reactance with the dipole elements.
Thanx All
Howard
VE4ISP

When you run a 73 ohm "resistor" and a 50 ohm resistor in parallel?

You would need a balun (rf transformer) to match to that antenna ...

Then you would need a suitable name for it. Let me see, we are mating
up a "dummy load" with a "dipole." How about "Dummy-Pole?" grin

Regards,
JS
Old October 9th 08, 04:14 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Wed, 08 Oct 2008 10:07:03 -0700, John Smith
wrote:

You would need a balun (rf transformer) to match to that antenna ...

Then you would need a suitable name for it. Let me see, we are mating
up a "dummy load" with a "dipole." How about "Dummy-Pole?" grin

Been there, done that. About 30 years ago, I went on a field day
exercise where one of the HF stations was running a lightbulb on a
pole for an antenna. 100 watts RF, about 50ft of RG-8/u, voltage
stepped down with some kind of xfomer or balun, and a 150 watt
incandescent light bulb. I don't recall how well they did, but I
could see that the log was filling with contacts. Who needs an
antenna anyway?

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old October 11th 08, 02:03 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Wed, 08 Oct 2008 10:07:03 -0700, John Smith

Then you would need a suitable name for it. Let me see, we are mating
up a "dummy load" with a "dipole." How about "Dummy-Pole?" grin

Been there, done that. About 30 years ago, I went on a field day
exercise where one of the HF stations was running a lightbulb on a
pole for an antenna. 100 watts RF, about 50ft of RG-8/u, voltage
stepped down with some kind of xfomer or balun, and a 150 watt
incandescent light bulb. I don't recall how well they did, but I
could see that the log was filling with contacts. Who needs an
antenna anyway?

Hmmm, sounds like that you mention might be the "Original DummyPole!"
Or, "DummyPole I."

This new design should probably be named "DummyPole II." grin

Regards,
JS
Old October 11th 08, 03:12 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 18:03:39 -0700, John Smith
wrote:

Hmmm, sounds like that you mention might be the "Original DummyPole!"
Or, "DummyPole I."

This new design should probably be named "DummyPole II." grin

Nope. I vaguely recall it was called a "lamptenna".

Somewhat later, I helped build a dipole using four 4ft fluorescent
tubes (two in each leg of the dipole hung horizontally on bamboo
poles). The 96" length was about right for a 10 meter dipole. About
80 watts out got the bulbs to light up. Once lit, the tubes were
quite conductive and made a functional transmit antenna and impressive
light show. It was totally useless for CW, kinda marginal for SSB,
and just great for AM. We had RTTY but couldn't find anyone to help
test it. We never did figure out how to light up the bulbs so we
could try receive. Various gross violations of the electrical code
and of common sense were attempted with no useful results.

There are those that can see the light...
# 831-336-2558
#
http://802.11junk.com
#
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com AE6KS
Old October 10th 08, 01:41 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Oct 8, 1:07*pm, John Smith wrote:
Howard Kowall wrote:
[...]

I'm glad you called it a 'balun (rf transformer)' instead of a 'balun
(CM Choke)'. Did Cecil review this before you posted it?

Old October 13th 08, 02:39 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Was an outfit here in the U.S actually "Marketed" such!
With claims that would give less than 3:1 SWR, on any frequency!
Wondered how it could do that and still perform- asked buddy (engineer)
and this was the "Black Box" he came up with! (50 ohm, 200 watt, non
inductive resistor! No majic involved, just a Dummy Load, in parallel
with a couple pieces of wire! Think ARRL, finally exposed it!
Yes it will radiate, but at WHAT effeciency?? Jim NN7K

Old October 13th 08, 03:06 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Jim-NN7K wrote:
Was an outfit here in the U.S actually "Marketed" such!
With claims that would give less than 3:1 SWR, on any frequency!
Wondered how it could do that and still perform- asked buddy (engineer)
and this was the "Black Box" he came up with! (50 ohm, 200 watt, non
inductive resistor! No majic involved, just a Dummy Load, in parallel
with a couple pieces of wire! Think ARRL, finally exposed it!
Yes it will radiate, but at WHAT effeciency?? Jim NN7K

Makes me wonder if you have been paying attention?; indeed, it has been
the arrl which has been "exposed!" ROFLOL!

Regards,
JS
Old October 13th 08, 04:53 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

John Smith wrote:
Jim-NN7K wrote:
Was an outfit here in the U.S actually "Marketed" such!
With claims that would give less than 3:1 SWR, on any frequency!
Wondered how it could do that and still perform- asked buddy (engineer)
and this was the "Black Box" he came up with! (50 ohm, 200 watt, non
inductive resistor! No majic involved, just a Dummy Load, in parallel
with a couple pieces of wire! Think ARRL, finally exposed it!
Yes it will radiate, but at WHAT effeciency?? Jim NN7K

Makes me wonder if you have been paying attention?; indeed, it has been
the arrl which has been "exposed!" ROFLOL!

Regards,
JS

'Corse, this WAS from memory, of this antenna-- From some 25 YEARS ago!
When it was first introduced! Hindsight is always better than Foresight!
Jim
Old October 8th 08, 08:37 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Howard Kowall wrote:
Has anyone ever tried putting a dipole antenna up with the center insulator
being a high power 50 ohm dummy load,then connecting the dipole elements
across the dummy load.This would always keep a suitable match at 50 ohms
and satisfy the transceiver.Would most of the power go to the dummy load and
not the elements and wouldn't radiate.In thinking about this it all
logically makes sense the load would really never change or would it have
some reactance with the dipole elements.
Thanx All
Howard
VE4ISP

You would probably be better off loss-wise just using 1000'
of RG58 feedline......same result; lots of loss, low SWR.

Rick - W7RT

Want to trade for an antenna tuner and dummy load Jim Swap 0 February 28th 06 02:10 AM
Dummy Load FS Bryan Swap 0 February 16th 05 10:08 PM
looking for Dummy Load GALAXY DOCTOR CB 0 February 17th 04 07:12 AM
FA: Unbuilt Antenna Dry Dummy Load/Meter N4ATS Swap 0 December 25th 03 02:07 AM
Ten Tec 240-KW Dummy Load Jon Kummer Swap 3 November 14th 03 01:55 PM