Old October 8th 08, 02:11 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Dummy Load Antenna

Has anyone ever tried putting a dipole antenna up with the center insulator
being a high power 50 ohm dummy load,then connecting the dipole elements
across the dummy load.This would always keep a suitable match at 50 ohms
and satisfy the transceiver.Would most of the power go to the dummy load and
not the elements and wouldn't radiate.In thinking about this it all
logically makes sense the load would really never change or would it have
some reactance with the dipole elements.
Thanx All
Howard
VE4ISP

Old October 8th 08, 02:50 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Howard,
Yes. Been some years ago now, but there was even a commercial
version sold (did pretty well too). Wish I could remember the name of
that thingy.
- 'Doc

Old October 8th 08, 03:45 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Howard Kowall wrote:
Has anyone ever tried putting a dipole antenna up with the center insulator
being a high power 50 ohm dummy load,then connecting the dipole elements
across the dummy load.

Yes. There was a commercial antenna quite a few years ago that did just
that. I think QST did a review on it. It wasn't advertised as a resistor
across the end of the coax, but they either tore the thing apart or
X-rayed it, and there it was.

This would always keep a suitable match at 50 ohms
and satisfy the transceiver. Would most of the power go to the dummy load and
not the elements and wouldn't radiate.In thinking about this it all
logically makes sense the load would really never change or would it have
some reactance with the dipole elements.

I guess, But, and hold on to your hat... 50 ohms SWR is not an
indication that an antenna works at all, much less that it works well!

Imagine where the power is going to and what it is becoming. To the
resistor, and it is becoming heat. Anything that is radiated is almost
an accident.

- 73 de Mike N3LI -
Old October 8th 08, 04:23 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Howard Kowall" wrote in message
Has anyone ever tried putting a dipole antenna up with the center

insulator
being a high power 50 ohm dummy load,then connecting the dipole elements
across the dummy load.This would always keep a suitable match at 50 ohms
and satisfy the transceiver.Would most of the power go to the dummy load

and
not the elements and wouldn't radiate.In thinking about this it all
logically makes sense the load would really never change or would it have
some reactance with the dipole elements.
Thanx All
Howard
VE4ISP

It's lossy, but antenna tuners might be too much fiddling.

Old October 8th 08, 05:25 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Wed, 8 Oct 2008 08:11:04 -0500, Howard Kowall wrote:
Has anyone ever tried putting a dipole antenna up with the center insulator
being a high power 50 ohm dummy load,then connecting the dipole elements
across the dummy load.

This would always keep a suitable match at 50 ohms
and satisfy the transceiver.

You seem to understand nothing about parallel resistances/reactances.

Old October 8th 08, 05:59 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

wrote:

Has anyone ever tried putting a dipole antenna up with the center insulator
being a high power 50 ohm dummy load,then connecting the dipole elements
across the dummy load.(...)

There was some phony antenna that when tested turned out to be nothing
but a resistor across the feed point. Google search and my fading
memory couldn't recall the name. The VSWR was great, but nothing else
about the antenna was useful, probably due to all your RF power being
dissipated in the 50 ohm load instead of being radiated by the
antenna.

A squashed rhombic with an approximately 500 ohm resistor does have
some proponents. See:
http://www.hard-core-dx.com/nordicdx/antenna/wire/t2fd.html
http://www.hard-core-dx.com/nordicdx/antenna/wire/t2design.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T2FD_Antenna
Search Google for "T2FD antenna".

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old October 8th 08, 06:07 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Howard Kowall wrote:
Has anyone ever tried putting a dipole antenna up with the center insulator
being a high power 50 ohm dummy load,then connecting the dipole elements
across the dummy load.This would always keep a suitable match at 50 ohms
and satisfy the transceiver.Would most of the power go to the dummy load and
not the elements and wouldn't radiate.In thinking about this it all
logically makes sense the load would really never change or would it have
some reactance with the dipole elements.
Thanx All
Howard
VE4ISP

When you run a 73 ohm "resistor" and a 50 ohm resistor in parallel?

You would need a balun (rf transformer) to match to that antenna ...

Then you would need a suitable name for it. Let me see, we are mating
up a "dummy load" with a "dipole." How about "Dummy-Pole?" grin

Regards,
JS
Old October 8th 08, 08:37 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Howard Kowall wrote:
Has anyone ever tried putting a dipole antenna up with the center insulator
being a high power 50 ohm dummy load,then connecting the dipole elements
across the dummy load.This would always keep a suitable match at 50 ohms
and satisfy the transceiver.Would most of the power go to the dummy load and
not the elements and wouldn't radiate.In thinking about this it all
logically makes sense the load would really never change or would it have
some reactance with the dipole elements.
Thanx All
Howard
VE4ISP

You would probably be better off loss-wise just using 1000'
of RG58 feedline......same result; lots of loss, low SWR.

Rick - W7RT

Old October 9th 08, 04:14 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Wed, 08 Oct 2008 10:07:03 -0700, John Smith
wrote:

You would need a balun (rf transformer) to match to that antenna ...

Then you would need a suitable name for it. Let me see, we are mating
up a "dummy load" with a "dipole." How about "Dummy-Pole?" grin

Been there, done that. About 30 years ago, I went on a field day
exercise where one of the HF stations was running a lightbulb on a
pole for an antenna. 100 watts RF, about 50ft of RG-8/u, voltage
stepped down with some kind of xfomer or balun, and a 150 watt
incandescent light bulb. I don't recall how well they did, but I
could see that the log was filling with contacts. Who needs an
antenna anyway?

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

Want to trade for an antenna tuner and dummy load Jim Swap 0 February 28th 06 02:10 AM
Dummy Load FS Bryan Swap 0 February 16th 05 10:08 PM
looking for Dummy Load GALAXY DOCTOR CB 0 February 17th 04 07:12 AM
FA: Unbuilt Antenna Dry Dummy Load/Meter N4ATS Swap 0 December 25th 03 02:07 AM
Ten Tec 240-KW Dummy Load Jon Kummer Swap 3 November 14th 03 01:55 PM