RadioBanter

-   -   information suppression by universities (https://www.radiobanter.com/antenna/138860-information-suppression-universities.html)

Jeff Liebermann[_2_] November 26th 08 08:00 PM

information suppression by universities

On Wed, 26 Nov 2008 15:48:50 GMT, "JB" wrote:

Excellent post.

Thanks. I'll add one more notch on my LCD frame.

The problem with QEX is not enough submissions.

Well, they rejected one of mine many years ago. The problem was they
never really said why. When I pressed the editor, he replied that he
had enough submissions of sufficient quality. I tried again later and
had it rejected because I wasn't an ARRL member at the time (because I
was broke). I don't know what was going on, but I wasn't thrilled and
never bothered again.

As for the
QST AM mods, I was thinking that was ATV, but maybe you were talking about
something else.

Something else was converting commercial land mobile FM radios from
WBFM or later NBFM to AM (A3A) modulation. Mostly, it was adding a
low level modulation circuit, and converting the power stages from
Class C to Class A or AB. To me, it was a little like publishing an
article today on converting a Prius Hybrid automobile to only run on
gasoline.

The same applies to QST. If there aren't enough
submissions, the only recourse is to hire writers to do columns or fill the
empiness with drivel and ads like 73.

Probably true. I submitted an article in about 2002 on using the
audio time delay through a repeater to do hyperbolic (Loran A style)
vehicle location. I forgot why it was rejected because I ended up in
the hospital and my memory from that period is rather muddled. When I
inquired about the submission a year later, they said that they
couldn't find it or that it was lost. Then, I mentioned that I still
wasn't an ARRL member and all communications ceased.

The best things to come out of 73 was
the Star Trek communicator clone and Byte magazine. I hate how Ham Radio
magazine died out.

73 published Joe Moell's column on amateur radio direction finding. To
me, it was worth the price of a subscription. Before I tossed my
archives, I ripped out and saved most of these issues. Wanna build a
rotating antenna direction finder? The only references in ham radio
land you'll find are in these 73 magazine issues. Same with various
microwave columns. I could have done without Wayne Green's endless
editorials.

I was President of the local ham club for a while, and
wound up doing the newletter too. For the three or four years of that, I
only got 3 submissions from the membership. All the rest I had to either
pull out of my A** every month or go around like a reporter and interrogate
people.

Our current newsletter editor complains about the same thing.
http://www.k6bj.org
Still, he manages to produce a superior ham radio newsletter. I used
to submit irregular technical articles and obnoxious opinionated radio
politix articles. However, one article that I spend considerable time
writing was butchered beyond recognition. When I asked for an
explanation, I got nothing. So, no more articles from me.

On the other hand - What neat inventions can we come up with to share with
the World, so it can be exploited and give reason to take more of our
spectrum?

It probably shouldn't be an invention. More likely, an unusual or
interesting application of some existing technology. Your ATV camera
for disaster services is a good example. Direction finding is still a
common problem (i.e. stuck public safety transmitters). Perhaps
demonstrating how some of the dumb|great ideas originating out FCC can
be made to work (i.e. white space, ultra narrow band FM, on the fly
TDMA, etc). I could think of lots of useful things to build, design,
buy, or analyze.

Interesting to note how public safety volunteers showed Los
Angeles Sheriff how neat ATV was and they turned around and petitioned the
FCC for those frequencies.

We had some floods a few years ago. The levee broke along the Pajaro
river. One of our members has a helicopter and volunteered to fly an
ATV camera over the area for the sheriff. On screen was GPS position
in APRS format. Everything worked and everyone was suitably
impressed. Then, nothing. No clue exactly why, but my guess is that
homebrew is not funded by Homeland Security.

Oh well, we will probably all be shot in head by the next regime because we
are an irritation.

Nope. We will all be promoted to a position of responsibility, where
we will be setup to fail, thus demonstrating that technologists are no
better at running the country than politicians, crooks, bureaucrats,
and thugs.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D

Jeff Liebermann[_2_] November 26th 08 08:10 PM

information suppression by universities

On Wed, 26 Nov 2008 09:45:05 -0800, Richard Clark
wrote:

On Wed, 26 Nov 2008 09:14:18 -0800, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

Surely you must realize that this is not about money (a convenient
foil in this troll topic), but about skill (what the troll lacks).

Punch my name into the Google Groups search page and read some of my
past postings. Then decide for yourself if I'm a troll or not.

You didn't originate this decrepit topic did you? Connect the dots.
73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

Nope. Art started it. You might want to enable threading on your
newsreader so it's easier to assign the blame.

While not guilty of the original sin, I am guilty of the lesser crime
of engaging in topic drift. I attempted to answer Art's accusations
against the ARRL and the universities. You then mentioned free
antenna articles hidden in secret university archives, and I expanded
on this distraction. It was of interest to me because it might
eliminate the necessity of shelling out $200 to the IEEE for
convenient access.

You also suggested that I might be a usenet troll. I've been accussed
of many things, but not of trolling. If I wanted to play troll, it
would be obvious and fairly evident.

So, back to my original diversion and topic drift:
1. Where this horde of university antenna design articles?
2. Do you think I should keep looking for this horde, or should I
give up now and shell out the $200.
3. After reading some of my 19,000 assorted postings, do you still
think I'm a troll?

Roy Lewallen November 26th 08 11:56 PM

information suppression by universities

Richard Clark wrote:

As a girlfriend of mine once offered:
"They've had the common sense educated out of them."

That's a quintessentially American point of view. I highly recommend
_Anti-Intellectualism in American Life_ by Richard Hostadter. It helps
explain why ignorance is such an asset to American politicians (and
schoolchildren, for that matter), while intellectual accomplishments and
ability generally have to be hidden. It won a Pulitzer prize, which of
course proves that the author can't possibly have any common sense.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

JB[_3_] November 27th 08 01:31 AM

information suppression by universities

"Roy Lewallen" wrote in message
treetonline...
Richard Clark wrote:

As a girlfriend of mine once offered:
"They've had the common sense educated out of them."

That's a quintessentially American point of view. I highly recommend
_Anti-Intellectualism in American Life_ by Richard Hostadter. It helps
explain why ignorance is such an asset to American politicians (and
schoolchildren, for that matter), while intellectual accomplishments and
ability generally have to be hidden. It won a Pulitzer prize, which of
course proves that the author can't possibly have any common sense.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

Yes, KGB likes intellectuals because they are so easily manipulated by their
own self-importance.

Roy Lewallen November 27th 08 05:07 AM

Richard Clark wrote:
As a girlfriend of mine once offered:
"They've had the common sense educated out of them."

That's a quintessentially American point of view. I highly recommend
_Anti-Intellectualism in American Life_ by Richard Hostadter. It helps
explain why ignorance is such an asset to American politicians (and
schoolchildren, for that matter), while intellectual accomplishments and
ability generally have to be hidden. It won a Pulitzer prize, which of
course proves that the author can't possibly have any common sense.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

Yes, KGB likes intellectuals because they are so easily manipulated by their
own self-importance.

Damn, there goes my cover!

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

John Smith November 27th 08 05:17 AM

Roy Lewallen wrote:
Richard Clark wrote:

As a girlfriend of mine once offered:
"They've had the common sense educated out of them."

That's a quintessentially American point of view. I highly recommend
_Anti-Intellectualism in American Life_ by Richard Hostadter. It helps
explain why ignorance is such an asset to American politicians (and
schoolchildren, for that matter), while intellectual accomplishments and
ability generally have to be hidden. It won a Pulitzer prize, which of
course proves that the author can't possibly have any common sense.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

When I returned to college, they started talking "remedial" classes, to
"bring me up to speed." I laughed, they insisted, I took their tests,
they relented ... the "dumbing down" is REAL! I have seen it, first
hand ... :-(

I am glad I went when you got a REAL education ...

Regards,
JS

John Smith November 27th 08 05:21 AM

JB wrote:

Yes, KGB likes intellectuals because they are so easily manipulated by their
own self-importance.

WOW!

I like idiots, but for the same reason ... seems to me, someone is
mistaken ...

Regards,
JS

Sal M. Onella November 27th 08 06:01 AM

information suppression by universities

"Jeff Liebermann" wrote in message

snip .

We had some floods a few years ago. The levee broke along the Pajaro
river. One of our members has a helicopter and volunteered to fly an
ATV camera over the area for the sheriff. On screen was GPS position
in APRS format. Everything worked and everyone was suitably
impressed. Then, nothing. No clue exactly why, but my guess is that
homebrew is not funded by Homeland Security.

Homeland Security is among the worst things that ever happened to this
country. Just their role in interfering with airline travel (TSA) should be
enough to put them out of business -- but no.

Feel free to dismiss me as being hopelessly shallow, but ... On my way home
from work one day, I shared the train with a young babe in a form-fitting
uniform. When I got around to identifying the patches on the uniform, I
realized she worked for the TSA. I immediately stopped looking at her. No
longer ogle-worthy.

John Smith November 27th 08 07:00 AM

Sal M. Onella wrote:

Homeland Security is among the worst things that ever happened to this
country. Just their role in interfering with airline travel (TSA) should be
enough to put them out of business -- but no.

Feel free to dismiss me as being hopelessly shallow, but ... On my way home
from work one day, I shared the train with a young babe in a form-fitting
uniform. When I got around to identifying the patches on the uniform, I
realized she worked for the TSA. I immediately stopped looking at her. No
longer ogle-worthy.

You just raised yourself on my "smarts scale" about 100 points. This
gov't has told us, "Be afraid, be very, very afraid." But then, it has
left the borders open so any idiot with a stick of dynamite, a sack of
drugs, or a suitcase nuke can enter with little problem ...

Now something is wrong. I am beginning to believe I live in a country
of idiots and you and I are the only ones suspecting something is wrong
.... :-(

Or, what smells like Bleucheese?

Regards,
JS

JB[_3_] November 27th 08 04:37 PM

information suppression by universities

Yes, KGB likes intellectuals because they are so easily manipulated by
their
own self-importance.

WOW!

I like idiots, but for the same reason ... seems to me, someone is
mistaken ...

No, KGB don't HAVE to manipulate idiots. They manipulate the intellectuals,
who in turn lead the idiots until they all wind up in a ditch. They only
serve purpose to destabilize and demoralize. There is no place for them in
normalization phase because they find they have been duped and become bitter
enemies. It is better they be liquidated first in the normalization phase.