Old December 8th 08, 01:06 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Circular polarization... does it have to be synchronous??

Something just occurred to me. I did get to thinking.

My previous answers were wrong. Peter's spinning antenna wouldn't
produce a circularly polarized wave (as universally defined) even if it
was synchronous with the wave frequency. As I've said, a circularly
polarized wave has constant E field amplitude; Peter's wave would have a
time-varying amplitude. If it were synchronous, the nulls and peaks
would always occur at the same places in the rotation cycle, so they
would occur at fixed angles relative to a rotational reference point. If
non-synchronous, the nulls and peaks would rotate at the beat frequency.

It seems to me that the way to mechanically generate a circularly
polarized wave would be to rotate a source of *static* E field, for
example, a short dipole with constant applied DC voltage at the
feedpoint. That should produce a circularly polarized wave with the
frequency being the rotational frequency of the dipole. At any point in
space, the E field would change with time, and would propagate, and it
would look exactly like a circularly polarized wave broadside to the
rotation plane.

If the scheme works and radiation is occurring, then power must be going
into the antenna, which in turn means it's drawing current that's in
phase with the applied voltage. When stopped, no current will flow, but
when rotating, it does. So how does the antenna know it's rotating? How
about this -- if you instantaneously move the antenna into some
position, a static E field appears there, and propagates outward at the
speed of light. Closer in than the leading edge of the propagating wave,
the field is static. When we rotate the dipole to a new position, it
moves through the field from its previous position, which induces a
current in it. Hence the current. It's fundamentally a generator, with
the field being in the air.

I'd be willing to bet a moderate sum that if you did apply a DC voltage
to a dipole and rotated it, you'd see an alternating current with a
frequency equal to the frequency of rotation, and a circularly polarized
wave broadside to the antenna. I suspect that the current and the
radiated field increase in amplitude with rotational speed, so you might
have to get it going really fast before you can detect the effects.

Now there's some food for thought.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL
Old December 8th 08, 12:24 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

In article tonline, Roy
Lewallen wrote:

Then some education is in order. Electromagnetic waves are elliptically
polarized. The two extreme special cases of this are linear and circular
(with axial ratio of zero -- or infinite depending on your choice of
definition -- and one respectively). There are an infinite number of
other possible elliptical polarizations with different axial ratios.

Hello, and that's quite correct, Roy. Having read the OP's statements and
others in this thread I would like to recommend that one step back from
antennas for a moment in order to examine the generation of an ellipse
(representing the locus of points of a rotating E (or H) field. The
parametric equations take the form x(t) = A*cos(2*pi*f*t) and y(t) =
B*cos(2*pi*f*t + phi). (These equations are of the same form that
generate the familiar Lissajous patterns except that for Lissajous the x
and y values differ in frequeny.)

While polarization is a convenient concept in electromagnetic wave
propagaion there's no reason that we couldnt just treat it as the
superposition of two separate Ex (or Hx) and Ey (or Hy) waves. Of course
we have to pay attention to amplitude and phase relationships.

I think investing some time with this math (it's not all that difficult)
will provide one with insight into the concept of polarization and perhaps
head off some misconception. If anyone is interested and has Mathcad,
I've got a worksheet that allows one to vary these parameters, plots the
resulting ellipse (or circle or line) and also calculates ellipticity
(axial ratio) and eccentricity. Sincerely, and 73s from N4GGO,

John Wood (Code 5550) e-mail:
Naval Research Laboratory
4555 Overlook Avenue, SW
Washington, DC 20375-5337
Old December 8th 08, 02:44 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

J. B. Wood wrote:

I think investing some time with this math (it's not all that difficult)
will provide one with insight into the concept of polarization and perhaps
head off some misconception. If anyone is interested and has Mathcad,
I've got a worksheet that allows one to vary these parameters, plots the
resulting ellipse (or circle or line) and also calculates ellipticity
(axial ratio) and eccentricity. Sincerely, and 73s from N4GGO,

All I have to know is that Circular Polarization always helps when one
end of the path is prone to random polarizations, even with the 3 dB
power loss.
Old December 8th 08, 04:12 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Roy Lewallen" wrote in message
treetonline...
[...]

A source of endless coffee-time debates where I used to work! No, the
current into the rotating dipole would be DC and the means of rotation at
the radio frequency would take the place of the 'transmitter'. If the
current were alternating then the radiated electric field would be
discontinuous but it isn't; it has constant magnitude. Between two such
systems separated by many wavelengths, if there were no anisotropic material
around, reciprocity would apply and a means of conveying DC by radio would
be created!

However, intriguing and amusing as this analogy might be I wonder if it
really has any practical value. For real mechanical rotating parts the
frequency would be limited to something rather low like the tens of kHz at
which Alexanderson alternators work, and then the wavelength would be so
long that it would probably be impossible to construct an efficient
radiator*. The quickest moving antenna I've encountered was a commutated
plasma antenna, using a construction similar to a 'dekatron' tube, but even
then the length of the radiator was so small that SHF would be needed to
achieve worthwhile radiation efficiency* and the maximum commutation speed
was limited to a few MHz by the time it takes to establish the plasma at
each step in the commutation cycle.

*(Of course, the conventional principles of radiation resistance vs. loss
resistance may need 'massaging' to bring them into line with the concept of
creating transverse waves by rotating a dipole connected to a battery!)

Chris

Old December 8th 08, 05:04 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"christofire" wrote in message

[...]

Hi Chris

I am not smart enough to analyze the effects of rotating a dipole with DC
applied to it, but I have doubts that it would create a "far field". Did
you guys ever figure out how the "DC dipole" generates a Far Field?

Jerry KD6JDJ

Old December 8th 08, 05:27 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

christofire wrote:

A source of endless coffee-time debates where I used to work! No, the
current into the rotating dipole would be DC and the means of rotation at
the radio frequency would take the place of the 'transmitter'. If the
current were alternating then the radiated electric field would be
discontinuous but it isn't; it has constant magnitude. Between two such
systems separated by many wavelengths, if there were no anisotropic material
around, reciprocity would apply and a means of conveying DC by radio would
be created!

Now that I think about it, you're right -- the current would have to be
DC, so there would be only DC power into the dipole.

Interesting that you and your co-workers thought of and debated this.
I've given it less than an hour of thought since it popped into my head,
so you've had a lot more time to work out the details. Sounds like it
might work something like I described, then.

However, intriguing and amusing as this analogy might be I wonder if it
really has any practical value. For real mechanical rotating parts the
frequency would be limited to something rather low like the tens of kHz at
which Alexanderson alternators work, and then the wavelength would be so
long that it would probably be impossible to construct an efficient
radiator*. The quickest moving antenna I've encountered was a commutated
plasma antenna, using a construction similar to a 'dekatron' tube, but even
then the length of the radiator was so small that SHF would be needed to
achieve worthwhile radiation efficiency* and the maximum commutation speed
was limited to a few MHz by the time it takes to establish the plasma at
each step in the commutation cycle.

I can't see where this could possibly be of any practical use. For me it
was simply a mind exercise spurred by Peter's musings, resulting from
wondering just how a mechanical system could be made to generate a CP wave.

*(Of course, the conventional principles of radiation resistance vs. loss
resistance may need 'massaging' to bring them into line with the concept of
creating transverse waves by rotating a dipole connected to a battery!)

Indeed. And it seems there wouldn't be any skin effect, then, with only
DC going to the wire. And what about current distribution on the dipole?

Roy Lewallen, W7EL
Old December 8th 08, 05:33 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

christofire wrote:

[...]

Hi Roy

I have problems with believing there will be any current in either dipole.
What am I missing?

Jerry KD6JDJ

Old December 8th 08, 05:35 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Jerry wrote:

I am not smart enough to analyze the effects of rotating a dipole with DC
applied to it, but I have doubts that it would create a "far field". Did
you guys ever figure out how the "DC dipole" generates a Far Field?

Jerry KD6JDJ

It requires energy to create a far field, since the far field is a form
of energy. I explained why I thought power might be consumed by the
antenna -- current would flow due to coupling with the field still
present from previous positions (although I mentioned alternating
current while Chris correctly pointed out that it would have to be DC).
I don't see any problem with conversion of the DC into AC. It's done all
the time with spinning magnets -- look at the alternator in your car for
example. And in times of yore, RF was generated directly with high speed
alternators. The principle is very similar to, if not exactly the same
as, the scheme I described.

The whole thing is just a mental exercise to help gain a better
understanding of the nature of a circularly polarized field.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL
Old December 8th 08, 05:56 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Jerry wrote:

[...]

Indeed, and I would add that the spinning dipole fed with a constant voltage
appears the same as a stationary dipole fed with an alternating voltage with
respect to any chosen linear polarisation.

I was once told of a method of measuring the radiation patterns of large
installed antennas by 'flying' near to them a small metal rod rotating about
an axis that passes perpendicularly through the middle of the length of the
rod. By detecting, synchronously with rotation of the rod, changes in the
terminal VSWR (or reflection co-efficient for voltage) the near-field
radiation pattern could be assessed (i.e. an impression of the aperture
current distribution) from which the far-field patterns could be derived by
Fourier transform in the normal way (acknowledgement is due to the late Dick
Manton). There is a range of 3D angles over which the axis can vary without
upsetting the measurement. I don't know if this was ever implemented, e.g.
to measure the patterns of a television transmitting antenna - a helicopter
carrying a measuring receiver is used in the far field nowadays.

Chris

Old December 8th 08, 06:03 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

christofire wrote:

[...]

That's understandable.

Chris

Circular Parasitic Asimov Antenna 22 September 18th 13 09:10 PM
Quad and circular polarization -.-. --.-[_2_] Antenna 26 December 2nd 08 11:18 AM
Quasi Synchronous?? Lucky Shortwave 38 June 10th 05 03:56 AM
Circular V.S. Vertical antenna polarization ! Lex-Lutor Broadcasting 6 March 22nd 05 06:50 PM
circular radiation! [email protected] Antenna 4 August 27th 04 12:53 AM