Old March 6th 05, 03:05 AM
Asimov

Default Circular Parasitic

Hi,

Just wondering what adding horizontal parasitics to a UHF loop does?

A*s*i*m*o*v

.... "If it ain't broke, you're not tryin!" - Red Green

Old March 6th 05, 07:54 AM
Hal Rosser

"Asimov" wrote in message
Hi,

Just wondering what adding horizontal parasitics to a UHF loop does?

A*s*i*m*o*v

... "If it ain't broke, you're not tryin!" - Red Green

depends - but you CAN make a beam - er a directional antenna
like a quad driven element, and a yagi-type reflector and/or director
element(s).
it works - been done

Old March 6th 05, 01:39 PM
Asimov

"Hal Rosser" bravely wrote to "All" (06 Mar 05 02:54:17)
--- on the heady topic of " Circular Parasitic"

HR Xref: aeinews rec.radio.amateur.antenna:26501

HR "Asimov" wrote in
HR message g...
Just wondering what adding horizontal parasitics to a UHF loop does?

HR depends - but you CAN make a beam - er a directional antenna
HR like a quad driven element, and a yagi-type reflector and/or director
HR element(s).
HR it works - been done

You made me recall the cubical quad. But a single loop with yagi-style
elements added each face might have a directed beam pattern instead of
bidirectional? BTW would that work too with circular polarization?

A*s*i*m*o*v

.... I'm not loafing, I'm doing research on inertia.

Old March 6th 05, 11:03 PM
Hal Rosser

"Asimov" wrote in message
"Hal Rosser" bravely wrote to "All" (06 Mar 05 02:54:17)
--- on the heady topic of " Circular Parasitic"

HR Xref: aeinews rec.radio.amateur.antenna:26501

HR "Asimov" wrote in
HR message ...
Just wondering what adding horizontal parasitics to a UHF loop does?

HR depends - but you CAN make a beam - er a directional antenna
HR like a quad driven element, and a yagi-type reflector and/or director
HR element(s).
HR it works - been done

You made me recall the cubical quad. But a single loop with yagi-style
elements added each face might have a directed beam pattern instead of
bidirectional? BTW would that work too with circular polarization?

I assume you could have unidirectional and bidirectional capability.
Depends on lengths of the parasitic elements and proximity to driven
element.
As for circular polarity - I have to admit my ignorance of that subject and
decline comment.
regahds

Old March 6th 05, 11:31 PM
Jerry Martes

Asimov

Do you have an actual application for this circularly polarized
directional UHF antenna with the "loop" included?
A simple "Turnstile" will give good CP. The satellite guys use them with
reflectors.
I can give some information about simple crossed dipole antennas that give
pretty good CP recpiton at VHF.

Jerry

Old March 7th 05, 04:04 AM
Asimov

"Jerry Martes" bravely wrote to "All" (06 Mar 05 23:31:40)
--- on the heady topic of " Circular Parasitic"

JM From: "Jerry Martes"
JM Xref: aeinews rec.radio.amateur.antenna:26527

JM Do you have an actual application for this circularly polarized
JM directional UHF antenna with the "loop" included?

Just curious about the UHF loop antenna as it is said to have a gain
of +1dB in the vertical position and -3dB in the horizontal position.

JM A simple "Turnstile" will give good CP. The satellite guys use them
JM with reflectors.

IIRC satellite folk use double or quad counter-rotating wire
corkscrews sticking out of a reflector don't they? A turnstile seems
pretty much omnidirectional but doesn't it need to be phased somehow?

JM I can give some information about simple crossed dipole antennas
JM that give pretty good CP recpiton at VHF.

This would be the same phasing techniques as with the turnstile? I've
seen a large 6 element array near my area and that impressed me but I
think the neighbours would be forming a posse if they saw one here.

BTW I made a portable antenna for low vhf using a 3/4 in. dia. plastic
curtain rod as a long coil form. The conductor is wound around the 6
ft long plastic rod with about 1/4 inch spacing. It works okay but it
is quite sensitive to proximity effects due to the spread inductance
and the 200pF cap used to series resonnate it. It is far shorter than
the wavelengths it receives but does the job. It isn't classy.

A*s*i*m*o*v

.... CAUTION: I drive just like you do!

Old March 7th 05, 04:34 AM
BKR

A quagi type antenna seems to be close to what you want.
Try these links:

http://www.geocities.com/garyntricia/quagi.html
http://commfaculty.fullerton.edu/woverbeck/quagi.htm

Old March 7th 05, 08:29 AM
Jerry Martes

"Asimov" wrote in message
[...]

At first I was thinking that you were curious about building a UHF antenna
with a loop as the driven element then try to include some parasitic dipoles
to produce some directivity. I couldnt offer any thoughts on that. But,
when you mentioned circular polarization and directivity, I wondered why you
wouldnt consider a helix for UHF.

On loopgain --
I wouldnt want to argue about the gain of a loop being anything above or
below that of a dipole. I would expect a loop to have very nearly the same
gain (directivity) as the dipole. I even thought that small loops have
exactly the same pattern shape as a short dipole. That would make their
gain the same if their efficiency is good.

On turnstile --
The turnstile is two crossed dipoles in the same plane fed 90 degrees out
of phase. It produces RHCP in one direction and LHCP in the other
direction.
The antenna I use is two crossed dipoles spaced 1/4 wave apart and fed
in phase. That gives good RHCP (or LHCP, whichever you want) toward both
directions.

Jerry

Old March 7th 05, 01:14 PM
Richard Fry

JM Do you have an actual application for this circularly
polarized directional UHF antenna with the "loop" included?

A*s*i*m*o*v Just curious about the UHF loop antenna as it is
said to have a gain of +1dB in the vertical position and -3dB
in the horizontal position.
________________

A planar, circular loop of diameter ~0.1 lambda is linearly polarized, with
peak gain* in the plane of the loop. This loop will have vertical
polarization when in the vertical position, and horizontal polarization when
in the horizontal position.

Lacking ~equal h-pol & v-pol gain at the same time, such a loop is not
circularly polarized -- even though the physical configuration of the loop
is a circle.

*theoretically about 1.74dBi (far field, free space)

RF

Old March 7th 05, 05:08 PM
Jerry Martes

Richard

Do you know the approximate input impedance of a 0.1 lambda diameter
single turn loop?

Jerry