RadioBanter

-   -   cantenna (https://www.radiobanter.com/antenna/139811-cantenna.html)

Dave[_18_] January 1st 09 10:21 PM

cantenna

KC8QJP wrote:
"Dave" wrote in message
KC8QJP wrote:
a crisco can works well

http://www.mfjenterprises.com/Produc...uctid=MFJ-250X

http://image.lotte.com/lotte/images/...02/7266434.jpg

http://www.tcpglobal.com/autobodydep...mNo=CAN+GALLON

JIMMIE January 1st 09 10:25 PM

cantenna

On Jan 1, 2:22*pm, funkbastler wrote:
On Thu, 01 Jan 2009 17:41:27 +0000, Dave wrote:
KC8QJP wrote:
a crisco can works well

http://www.mfjenterprises.com/Produc...uctid=MFJ-250X

Where's a good place to find transformer oil (besides at the top
of the utility pole outside the house)? *Or, what's an acceptable
substitute?

--
-fb-

I havent bought any in a long time but the local drug store used to
sell mineral oil by the gallon. The gallon I bought was about $12 USD
about 20 years ago. Lately I havent seen anything larger than a
quart.My wife has a 12 oz bottle she picked up at the dollar store for
$.97, that may be a good way to go. I know a guy that used "Marvel
Mystery Oil" which is mostly mineral oil. He says the can will rust
out will regular mineral oil but not with the MMO.

Jimmie

Dave[_18_] January 1st 09 10:26 PM

cantenna

KC8QJP wrote:
a crisco can works well

http://www.mfjenterprises.com/Produc...uctid=MFJ-250X

Where's a good place to find transformer oil (besides at the top
of the utility pole outside the house)? Or, what's an acceptable
substitute?

Mineral oil from the drug store.

Jim-NN7K[_2_] January 1st 09 10:47 PM

cantenna

KC8QJP wrote:
a crisco can works well

http://www.mfjenterprises.com/Produc...uctid=MFJ-250X

Where's a good place to find transformer oil (besides at the top
of the utility pole outside the house)? Or, what's an acceptable
substitute?

Mineral Oil (available at your local drug store).

John Smith January 1st 09 11:14 PM

cantenna

KC8QJP wrote:
a crisco can works well

When length/dia ratio of the waveguide is optimum, 31mm ant, proper
distance from ant-feed to back of can--the most bang for the size/buck ...

Regards,
JS

Dave[_18_] January 1st 09 11:22 PM

cantenna

http://www.eham.net/forums/Elmers/1574

John Smith January 1st 09 11:26 PM

cantenna

Dave wrote:

http://www.eham.net/forums/Elmers/1574

Uh, yeah, I guess your reference to a dummy load is helpful, in some
other reality ...

Regards,
JS

Bob Campbell January 1st 09 11:48 PM

cantenna

"John Smith" wrote in message
Dave wrote:

http://www.eham.net/forums/Elmers/1574

Uh, yeah, I guess your reference to a dummy load is helpful, in some other
reality ...

I was just happy to see someone in that thread pop up with the warning about
PCBs in old transformer oil. I couldn't believe someone said they actually
got power company transformer oil!

[email protected] January 1st 09 11:49 PM

cantenna

Transformer oil.

Try your local power company. typically they will either sell it to
you, or, sometimes when they find out that you only need a gallon or
so, they'll just give it to you. Mine did.
- 'Doc

John Smith January 1st 09 11:58 PM

cantenna

wrote:
Transformer oil.

Try your local power company. typically they will either sell it to
you, or, sometimes when they find out that you only need a gallon or
so, they'll just give it to you. Mine did.
- 'Doc

No one knows about silicone oils? Break down is a few hundreds of
degrees, good thermal conductivity, ... benign to all components,
including any gaskets, I can possibly think of, etc. Also, if you are
into health/toxic concerns, purchase a food grade ...

Regards,
JS