RadioBanter

-   -   cantenna (https://www.radiobanter.com/antenna/139811-cantenna.html)

KC8QJP[_5_] January 1st 09 03:05 PM

cantenna

a crisco can works well

John Passaneau January 1st 09 03:15 PM

cantenna

KC8QJP wrote:
a crisco can works well

Sometimes you can get empty paint cans at professional paint supplies
stores. They are nice as they are clean and shiny.

John W3JXP

[email protected] January 1st 09 03:44 PM

cantenna

On Jan 1, 10:15*am, John Passaneau wrote:
KC8QJP wrote:
a crisco can works well

Sometimes you can get empty paint cans at professional paint supplies
stores. They are nice as they are clean and shiny.

John W3JXP

the poster is who also uses
in his impersonation of other people. He does
this because he wants to be gay with ham operators and they have
spurned him.

Dave[_18_] January 1st 09 05:41 PM

cantenna

KC8QJP wrote:
a crisco can works well

http://www.mfjenterprises.com/Produc...uctid=MFJ-250X

KC8QJP[_5_] January 1st 09 06:09 PM

cantenna

http://image.lotte.com/lotte/images/...02/7266434.jpg

funkbastler[_2_] January 1st 09 07:22 PM

cantenna

On Thu, 01 Jan 2009 17:41:27 +0000, Dave wrote:

KC8QJP wrote:
a crisco can works well

http://www.mfjenterprises.com/Produc...uctid=MFJ-250X

Where's a good place to find transformer oil (besides at the top
of the utility pole outside the house)? Or, what's an acceptable
substitute?

--
-fb-

Spamm Trappe January 1st 09 08:16 PM

cantenna

On Thu, 01 Jan 2009 13:22:44 -0600, funkbastler wrote:

Where's a good place to find transformer oil (besides at the top
of the utility pole outside the house)? Or, what's an acceptable
substitute?

Here's The Answer:
http://tinyurl.com/22c6t
and he
http://tinyurl.com/a3mk6j

funkbastler[_2_] January 1st 09 09:02 PM

cantenna

On 1 Jan 2009 20:16:28 GMT, Spamm Trappe wrote:

On Thu, 01 Jan 2009 13:22:44 -0600, funkbastler wrote:

Where's a good place to find transformer oil (besides at the top
of the utility pole outside the house)? Or, what's an acceptable
substitute?

Here's The Answer:
http://tinyurl.com/22c6t

heh heh... that URL seems to be down.

I did google it (froogled it, actually)... don't need a
55-gallon drum of the stuff, or any Transformer "action
figures."

and he
http://tinyurl.com/a3mk6j

Thanks.

--
-fb-

RHF January 1st 09 09:36 PM

cantenna

On Jan 1, 7:15*am, John Passaneau wrote:
KC8QJP wrote:
a crisco can works well

Sometimes you can get empty paint cans at professional paint supplies
stores. They are nice as they are clean and shiny.

John W3JXP

Paint the Can Flat Black and you will
have a "Stealth CanTenna".

Paint the Can with Invisiable Paint
and you just may never see it again.

Dave[_18_] January 1st 09 10:21 PM

cantenna

http://www.tcpglobal.com/autobodydep...mNo=CAN+GALLON

JIMMIE January 1st 09 10:25 PM

cantenna

KC8QJP wrote:
a crisco can works well

http://www.mfjenterprises.com/Produc...uctid=MFJ-250X

Where's a good place to find transformer oil (besides at the top
of the utility pole outside the house)? *Or, what's an acceptable
substitute?

--
-fb-

I havent bought any in a long time but the local drug store used to
sell mineral oil by the gallon. The gallon I bought was about $12 USD
about 20 years ago. Lately I havent seen anything larger than a
quart.My wife has a 12 oz bottle she picked up at the dollar store for
$.97, that may be a good way to go. I know a guy that used "Marvel
Mystery Oil" which is mostly mineral oil. He says the can will rust
out will regular mineral oil but not with the MMO.

Jimmie

Dave[_18_] January 1st 09 10:26 PM

cantenna

KC8QJP wrote:
a crisco can works well

http://www.mfjenterprises.com/Produc...uctid=MFJ-250X

Where's a good place to find transformer oil (besides at the top
of the utility pole outside the house)? Or, what's an acceptable
substitute?

Mineral oil from the drug store.

Jim-NN7K[_2_] January 1st 09 10:47 PM

cantenna

KC8QJP wrote:
a crisco can works well

http://www.mfjenterprises.com/Produc...uctid=MFJ-250X

Where's a good place to find transformer oil (besides at the top
of the utility pole outside the house)? Or, what's an acceptable
substitute?

Mineral Oil (available at your local drug store).

John Smith January 1st 09 11:14 PM

cantenna

KC8QJP wrote:
a crisco can works well

When length/dia ratio of the waveguide is optimum, 31mm ant, proper
distance from ant-feed to back of can--the most bang for the size/buck ...

Regards,
JS

Dave[_18_] January 1st 09 11:22 PM

cantenna

http://www.eham.net/forums/Elmers/1574

John Smith January 1st 09 11:26 PM

cantenna

Dave wrote:

http://www.eham.net/forums/Elmers/1574

Uh, yeah, I guess your reference to a dummy load is helpful, in some
other reality ...

Regards,
JS

Bob Campbell January 1st 09 11:48 PM

cantenna

"John Smith" wrote in message
Dave wrote:

http://www.eham.net/forums/Elmers/1574

Uh, yeah, I guess your reference to a dummy load is helpful, in some other
reality ...

I was just happy to see someone in that thread pop up with the warning about
PCBs in old transformer oil. I couldn't believe someone said they actually
got power company transformer oil!

[email protected] January 1st 09 11:49 PM

cantenna

Transformer oil.

Try your local power company. typically they will either sell it to
you, or, sometimes when they find out that you only need a gallon or
so, they'll just give it to you. Mine did.
- 'Doc

John Smith January 1st 09 11:58 PM

cantenna

wrote:
Transformer oil.

Try your local power company. typically they will either sell it to
you, or, sometimes when they find out that you only need a gallon or
so, they'll just give it to you. Mine did.
- 'Doc

No one knows about silicone oils? Break down is a few hundreds of
degrees, good thermal conductivity, ... benign to all components,
including any gaskets, I can possibly think of, etc. Also, if you are
into health/toxic concerns, purchase a food grade ...

Regards,
JS

funkbastler[_2_] January 2nd 09 01:12 AM

cantenna

On Thu, 1 Jan 2009 15:49:11 -0800 (PST), wrote:

Transformer oil.

Try your local power company. typically they will either sell it to
you, or, sometimes when they find out that you only need a gallon or
so, they'll just give it to you. Mine did.
- 'Doc

You still on West Madison?

--
-fb-

JIMMIE January 2nd 09 02:17 AM

cantenna

On Jan 1, 6:48*pm, "Bob Campbell" wrote:
"John Smith" wrote in message

Dave wrote:

http://www.eham.net/forums/Elmers/1574

Uh, yeah, I guess your reference to a dummy load is helpful, in some other
reality ...

I was just happy to see someone in that thread pop up with the warning about
PCBs in old transformer oil. * I couldn't believe someone said they actually
got power company transformer oil!

Nothing wrong with PoCo oil. They havent used PCBs in years. We use
the same stuff at work made by Shell . Its just mineral oil with a few
additives.

Jimmie

JIMMIE January 2nd 09 02:21 AM

cantenna

On Jan 1, 8:12*pm, funkbastler wrote:
On Thu, 1 Jan 2009 15:49:11 -0800 (PST), wrote:

Transformer oil.

Try your local power company. *typically they will either sell it to
you, or, sometimes when they find out that you only need a gallon or
so, they'll just give it to you. *Mine did.
- 'Doc

You still on West Madison?

--
-fb-

I usually come across about 70 gallons of used oil every couple of
years but I dont have any now. I may have some by July.

Jimmie

Bob Campbell January 2nd 09 02:34 AM

cantenna

"JIMMIE" wrote in message

Nothing wrong with PoCo oil. They havent used PCBs in years. We use
the same stuff at work made by Shell . Its just mineral oil with a few
additives.

That's good to know.

John Smith January 2nd 09 02:47 AM

cantenna

John Smith wrote:

No one knows about silicone oils? Break down is a few hundreds of
degrees, good thermal conductivity, ... benign to all components,
including any gaskets, I can possibly think of, etc. Also, if you are
into health/toxic concerns, purchase a food grade ...

Regards,
JS

Actually, I don't know why anyone would use or suggest the use of
anything but silicone.

You can tear the case off your TV/radio, sit the chassis down in an
aquarium full of the stuff, turn it on and watch it! Pull it out,
remove the silicone, put it back in its' case and expect it to go to
live expectancy, or beyond ...

Try that with anything else ...

Regards,
JS

John Smith January 2nd 09 02:50 AM

cantenna

John Smith wrote:

Actually, I don't know why anyone would use or suggest the use of
anything but silicone.

You can tear the case off your TV/radio, sit the chassis down in an
aquarium full of the stuff, turn it on and watch it! Pull it out,
remove the silicone, put it back in its' case and expect it to go to
live expectancy, or beyond ...

Try that with anything else ...

Regards,
JS

Indeed, if you are using food grade, you might be able to take a
tablespoon or two for constipation--heck, a few here could use that ...
ROFLOL

Regards,
JS

JB[_3_] January 2nd 09 04:39 AM

cantenna

Way too inductive. The MFJ is a steal at $50

Erich January 2nd 09 05:30 AM

cantenna

KC8QJP wrote:
a crisco can works well

http://www.mfjenterprises.com/Produc...uctid=MFJ-250X

Where's a good place to find transformer oil (besides at the top
of the utility pole outside the house)? Or, what's an acceptable
substitute?

Mineral Oil (available at your local drug store).

Just be prepared for some strange looks when you purchase a gallon of
mineral oil all at once. :-O

David G. Nagel January 2nd 09 06:09 AM

cantenna

KC8QJP wrote:
"Dave" wrote in message
KC8QJP wrote:
a crisco can works well

http://www.mfjenterprises.com/Produc...uctid=MFJ-250X

http://image.lotte.com/lotte/images/...02/7266434.jpg

A Crisco can has a plastic top. You want a new paint can with a metal top.

Dave WD9BDZ

David G. Nagel January 2nd 09 06:12 AM

cantenna

Bob Campbell wrote:
"John Smith" wrote in message
Dave wrote:

http://www.eham.net/forums/Elmers/1574

Uh, yeah, I guess your reference to a dummy load is helpful, in some
other reality ...

I was just happy to see someone in that thread pop up with the warning
about PCBs in old transformer oil. I couldn't believe someone said
they actually got power company transformer oil!

Why should you be surprised about power company oil. They haven't had
PCB's for years. Even the pole pigs have clean (?) oil in them.

Dave WD9BDZ

NoSPAM January 2nd 09 06:35 AM

cantenna

"John Smith" wrote in message
Transformer oil.

Try your local power company. typically they will either sell it to
you, or, sometimes when they find out that you only need a gallon or
so, they'll just give it to you. Mine did.
- 'Doc

No one knows about silicone oils? Break down is a few hundreds of
degrees, good thermal conductivity, ... benign to all components,
including any gaskets, I can possibly think of, etc. Also, if you are
into health/toxic concerns, purchase a food grade ...

Regards,
JS

Silicone oils are excellent from a health standpoint and usually very good
from a flammability standpoint. However, the Cantenna relies on natural
convection of the oil for cooling and the higher viscosity of commonly
available silicone oils will limit the power handling capability of the
Cantenna. Remember that the Cantenna must be de-rated when used for long
duty cycles, and a high viscosity oil will lower the power rating still
more. Also remember that silicone oils are not cheap (and my buddy at Dow
would only send me small samples).

I would suggest using modern RF terminations made by Bourns and other
companies. These are designed to be bolted to a large heatsink. The
CHF9838CNF series is rated for 50 ohms, 250 watts, VSWR below 1.1 from DC
to 2.2 GHz. It only costs $27.50 in single lot quantities. I think this
is higher than the continuous rating of the Cantenna. I don't know for
sure as I disposed of my Cantenna years ago. Digi-Key sells these Bourns
terminations if you want one.

I had used transformer oil given to me by the local electric cooperative.
I didn't learn until a few years later that the oil was contaminated with
Aroclor, a PCB oil. Proper disposal was easy for me as I then worked in
the research labs of a major chemical company that had an EPA licensed
incinerator specifically rated for PCB destruction. Even so, I had to
repackage the oil into special disposal bottles and give the incinerator
operators instructions that only one of the bottles could be burned daily.
Before anyone asks can they send their oil to me for disposal, I left that
company over 10 years ago and am now retired, so the answer will be no.

I did quite a bit of research on trade names of PCB containing oils. In
fact, the EPA's list found at
http://www.epa.gov/epawaste/hazard/t...bs/aroclor.htm is partly a
result of my study. About a third of the trade names on this list were
unknown to the EPA until I provided them to the Atlanta EPA office.

Barry L. Ornitz, PhD WA4VZQ

[email protected] January 2nd 09 07:45 AM

cantenna

funkbastler,
To the best of my knowledge, yes.
- 'Doc

....I'm afraid to ask...

Dave[_18_] January 2nd 09 01:42 PM

cantenna

John Smith wrote:
John Smith wrote:

No one knows about silicone oils? Break down is a few hundreds of
degrees, good thermal conductivity, ... benign to all components,
including any gaskets, I can possibly think of, etc. Also, if you are
into health/toxic concerns, purchase a food grade ...

Regards,
JS

Actually, I don't know why anyone would use or suggest the use of
anything but silicone.

You can tear the case off your TV/radio, sit the chassis down in an
aquarium full of the stuff, turn it on and watch it! Pull it out,
remove the silicone, put it back in its' case and expect it to go to
live expectancy, or beyond ...

Try that with anything else ...

Regards,
JS

The word "overkill" leaps to mind.

Dave[_18_] January 2nd 09 02:00 PM

cantenna

NoSPAM wrote:

I would suggest using modern RF terminations made by Bourns and other
companies. These are designed to be bolted to a large heatsink. The
CHF9838CNF series is rated for 50 ohms, 250 watts, VSWR below 1.1 from
DC to 2.2 GHz. It only costs $27.50 in single lot quantities. ...Digi-Key sells these
Bourns terminations if you want one.

Thanks, Doc.

That's News I Can Use.

Dave[_18_] January 2nd 09 02:10 PM

cantenna

Erich wrote:

KC8QJP wrote:
a crisco can works well

http://www.mfjenterprises.com/Produc...uctid=MFJ-250X

Where's a good place to find transformer oil (besides at the top
of the utility pole outside the house)? Or, what's an acceptable
substitute?

Mineral Oil (available at your local drug store).

Just be prepared for some strange looks when you purchase a gallon of
mineral oil all at once. :-O

Is motor oil a conductor?

JB[_3_] January 2nd 09 03:23 PM

cantenna

Mineral Oil (available at your local drug store).

Just be prepared for some strange looks when you purchase a gallon of
mineral oil all at once. :-O

Is motor oil a conductor?

Might burn and sludge up your resistor. Lots of additives you just don't
need.

I had a cantenna for 20 years with light mineral oil. there was a little
seepage to the top of the lid through the vent. I actually had transformer
oil but never used it because of the thought of that stuff seeping. It
really is a lot cleaner. Check feed stores, Vet supply stores, paint
stores, hardware. Check this out:
http://www.pugetsystems.com/submerged.php

JIMMIE January 2nd 09 03:43 PM

cantenna

On Jan 2, 10:23*am, "JB" wrote:
* Mineral Oil (available at your local drug store).

Just be prepared for some strange looks when you purchase a gallon of
mineral oil all at once. :-O

Is motor oil a conductor?

Might burn and sludge up your resistor. *Lots of additives you just don't
need.

I had a cantenna for 20 years with light mineral oil. *there was a little
seepage to the top of the lid through the vent. *I actually had transformer
oil but never used it because of the thought of that stuff seeping. *It
really is a lot cleaner. *Check feed stores, Vet supply stores, paint
stores, hardware. *Check this out:http://www.pugetsystems.com/submerged..php

One mistake I made with a cantenna was letting it sit on a concrete
floor. The bottom of the can rusted through from the outside. The
replacement can got a good coating of zinc chromate primer, followed
wirh red oxide, then acrylic enamel auto paint.

Jimmie

JB[_3_] January 2nd 09 03:50 PM

cantenna

One mistake I made with a cantenna was letting it sit on a concrete
floor. The bottom of the can rusted through from the outside. The
replacement can got a good coating of zinc chromate primer, followed
wirh red oxide, then acrylic enamel auto paint.

Jimmie

Mine was always inside and never rusted. I have seen them rust outside
though. I put mine in a tray, worrying about seepage getting on the carpet
but it would only pool up on the top.

Might be worthwhile to shoot the new can with BBQ paint.

John Smith January 2nd 09 04:59 PM

cantenna

NoSPAM wrote:

Silicone oils are excellent from a health standpoint and usually very
good from a flammability standpoint. However, the Cantenna relies on
natural convection of the oil for cooling and the higher viscosity of
commonly available silicone oils will limit the power handling
capability of the Cantenna. Remember that the Cantenna must be de-rated
when used for long duty cycles, and a high viscosity oil will lower the
power rating still more. Also remember that silicone oils are not cheap
(and my buddy at Dow would only send me small samples).
unknown to the EPA until I provided them to the Atlanta EPA office.

Barry L. Ornitz, PhD WA4VZQ

Well, yeah ...

However, the last silicone oil I purchased was at an auction. I was a
cannery being close, about 2-3 years ago. It was a 5 gal. tin, seems to
be about 10w-15w (no zahn cup to even begin guessing viscosity with); it
was $20.00, if I remember correctly. (a lucky fluke, I admit, and food
grade to boot!)

However, if I had to choose a 2nd, easily available source, and cheap, I
would get some pint bottles of 100% silicone spray used for protecting
seats, dashboards, panels, etc. in autos. At $1.88 + tax--a pint, a
gallon would be under $20.00. And, again, a cheap easily available
source to all--without shipping costs ...

Presently, I used the auctioned silicone I purchased, on my car
interior, tires, etc. ... lol

You know, if everyone has so many problems in doing the simplest things,
makes one wonder what they do when they hit a real snag! scratches-head

Regards,
JS

Billy Burpelson[_2_] January 2nd 09 08:36 PM

cantenna

Barry L. Ornitz, PhD WA4VZQ wrote:

Silicone oils are excellent from a health standpoint...

John Smith wrote:

However, the last silicone oil I purchased was at an auction... and
food grade to boot!)

I am a bit puzzled. IIRC, the silicone in women's breast implants
would/could/did leak and cause fairly serious health problems. Yet, Dr.
Ornitz says "Silicone oils are excellent from a health standpoint" and
Mr. Smith says: "food grade".

Could anyone take a shot at explaining this apparent dichotomy?

Inquiring minds want to know.