Old January 29th 09, 06:41 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Antenna Replacement Experiment

Is it feasable to remove the ferrite antenna from an am radio & replace it
with an external multi-turn box loop with the same primary/secondary
inductance?

Old January 29th 09, 07:06 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Spin" wrote in message
Is it feasable to remove the ferrite antenna from an am radio & replace it
with an external multi-turn box loop with the same primary/secondary
inductance?

Hi Spin

I cant offer any information about removing the ferrite antenna and
replacing it with an external loop. But, I can tell you that a few turns
of wire from the loop, wrapped aroung the radio, with the original ferrite
antenna connected as normal, can be made to couple the external loop to the
receiver to greatly improve reception.

Jerry

Old January 29th 09, 09:24 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Jerry;

I know how to couple an external loop to the internal ferrite antenna of the
radio. I believe that i would get better nulls & gain by removing the
internal antenna & directly connecting a box loop in it's place. Please
correct me if i am in error.

"Jerry" wrote in message
news

Old January 29th 09, 12:16 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Spin wrote:
Is it feasable to remove the ferrite antenna from an am radio & replace it
with an external multi-turn box loop with the same primary/secondary
inductance?

Most of those internal ferrite antennas that I have
seen are transformers or autotransformers for
impedance matching. It would be hard to couple an
external air core transformer as efficiently as
is possible with ferrite.
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com
Old January 29th 09, 12:58 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Jan 29, 12:41*am, "Spin" wrote:
Is it feasable to remove the ferrite antenna from an am radio & replace it
with an external multi-turn box loop with the same primary/secondary
inductance?

I wouldnt say its imposssible but it certainly would be a royal pain
getting the tuning to track right. I have coupled big antennas to
loopstick radios just by wrapping a few turns of wire around the radio
and connecting it to an external antenna. I have also wound a few
turns around the loopstick and brought it out to a jack for this
purpose. At least one commercial SW rx I owned was built this way.

Jimmie

Old January 29th 09, 01:45 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
joe joe is offline

JIMMIE wrote:

On Jan 29, 12:41Â*am, "Spin" wrote:
Is it feasable to remove the ferrite antenna from an am radio & replace
it with an external multi-turn box loop with the same primary/secondary
inductance?

I wouldnt say its imposssible but it certainly would be a royal pain
getting the tuning to track right. I have coupled big antennas to
loopstick radios just by wrapping a few turns of wire around the radio
and connecting it to an external antenna. I have also wound a few
turns around the loopstick and brought it out to a jack for this
purpose. At least one commercial SW rx I owned was built this way.

Jimmie

If you get the same inductances, coupling and can compensate for any
difference in stray capacitance, it should work.

Ferrite antennas are used for their small size. Older tube radios used
larger loop antennas.

Keep in mind there may be some DC voltages present on the ferrite antenna
you may not want to take outside the radio. (In other words, while you
could make the external loop work, there may be other reasons for not doing
so.)

Old January 29th 09, 02:15 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Spin wrote:
Is it feasable to remove the ferrite antenna from an am radio & replace it
with an external multi-turn box loop with the same primary/secondary
inductance?

It's hard to beat the SelectAtenna.

http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/mwant/4316.html
Old January 29th 09, 02:44 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

dave wrote:
It's hard to beat the SelectAtenna.
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/mwant/4316.html

Wow, "+30 dB signal gain" from a passive tank circuit.
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com
Old January 29th 09, 04:06 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Hi Spin

There may be different rules for connecting external antennas depending on
if the objective is to get max gain or to get strongest null response.
An external, capacitor tuned loop is a high Q device and appreciates loose
coupling when used to receive weak signals.
If the objective of the loop is to null out a specific frequency, I
suspect the direct connection of the external loop will result in very
effective nulling.
I hope you try this antenna modification and report the results

Jerry KD6JDJ

"Spin" wrote in message
Jerry;

I know how to couple an external loop to the internal ferrite antenna of
the radio. I believe that i would get better nulls & gain by removing the
internal antenna & directly connecting a box loop in it's place. Please
correct me if i am in error.

"Jerry" wrote in message
news

Old January 29th 09, 04:31 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Thu, 29 Jan 2009 06:41:17 GMT, "Spin"
wrote:

Is it feasable to remove the ferrite antenna from an am radio & replace it
with an external multi-turn box loop with the same primary/secondary
inductance?

Those with more than one coil (almost all) are not primary to
secondary relationships. One coil is the RF/Mixer stage, and the
other is the Oscillator stage and the ferrite provides the mixing path
as well as the signal pickup path. If you closely examine the
variable capacitor, you should see that it is also two independent
sections on the same frame (or inside the same enclosure). There
should also be a trimmer for each, one for peaking the RF, the other
for tracking the Oscillator. If there is a TRF stage, it will
probably have another coil/cap combo and probably with that coil as a
separate item.

It would help if you identify the "am radio."

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC