Old March 15th 04, 08:10 PM
Jeremy Salch

Cecil Moore wrote:

Jeremy Salch wrote:
I'm not sure i understand how a seperately mounted whip would work, the
idea sounds interesting but I can't picture it.

Try this idea. Run the base of the antenna vertically up about three feet.
From that point, run the screwdriver coil horizontally. Then from the
other end of the screwdriver, run a non-destructable whip as high as
possible. It would look something like this:

| whip

+---screwdriver coil---+
3' | Base non-conductive support
_________|______________________X_____
Top of RV

Ok 3 feet would be a bit difficult... this RV is a 1990 Airex by Rexhall..
and it is 14ish feet tall. so it is about as tall as it is safe to go with
anything that can't take a beating if it might need to. but the basic
idea is to have the coil horisontaly mounted.. and a short wire or some
sort to the mount that the whip is on if i understand it, that makes sense.

the roof looks kinda like the following sketch

there is a rail around the back of the roof and then the ladder, which the
two are connected. then there is the ac unit in the middle in the back

------------------------------------
------- |
[] | |= -- ladder
[AC]| |
[] | |
------- |
------------------------------------

--
Registered Linux User #346565

Old March 15th 04, 08:22 PM
Cecil Moore

Jeremy Salch wrote:
I'm not sure i understand what you mean by a top-hat?
Do you thing something like this could be used with the body of the
scredriver antenna mounted horizontally on top of the rv and the Top hat
mounted close but seperately, making the antenna basically flush with the
top of the rv ? If that makes any sense.

It would look something like this with a four foot slanted bottom
section:

6'x14' hardward cloth top hat
+---screwdriver coil---+---================================
/ X X X
4' / X X non-conductive supports X
___/_____X______________________X_____________________ _____________X
Top of RV

The highest current would be flowing through the 4' slanted section
which is good. That four foot figure is arbitrary. Make it as tall
as is feasible. If it were me, and the top of the RV is 'z' ft. from
the ground, I would make the base as long as is legal, but that's
just me.

This is similar to a $20 junk box antenna with which I tied a 75m CA
shootout for top honors against top-of-the-line (expensive) bugcatcatchers
and screwdrivers. My loading coil and top hat were horizontal, as above.
My base was an 8 foot whip slanting from my trailer hitch up to an
elevation of about 12 feet above ground.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old March 15th 04, 08:28 PM
Cecil Moore

Jeremy Salch wrote:
Ok 3 feet would be a bit difficult... this RV is a 1990 Airex by Rexhall..
and it is 14ish feet tall.

Great goobs of goose greese, that's a tall RV. Are you sure it's not
an 18-wheeler? :-) Any chance of mounting your antenna on the front
bumper? Do you have a hood? Some hams use hamsticks on a mag mount
on the hood.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old March 15th 04, 08:55 PM
Jeremy Salch

Cecil Moore wrote:
Haha

well the entire thing is fiberglass.. and there is no bumper to speak of...
its a difficult job to mount anything to this guy

Old March 17th 04, 03:50 PM
Butch

You need a Predator. Do a search for "predator antenna" Made for RVs
and SUVs!

Butch KF5DE

Jeremy Salch wrote:
Anyone ever setup a screwdriver on a RV and have it work very well ?

I have one installed but it preforms very poorly compared to
how well it worked on my car.

I think it is not working very well because the entire antenna is next to
the side of the motorhome.. and on my car.. only maybe the bottom 2 feet
of it were beside another surface.

I guess another question would be.. does anyone know if it would possibly
work better if it could be mounted at an angle instead of directly
vertical?

Old March 17th 04, 10:50 PM
Jeremy Salch

Jeremy Salch wrote:
Anyone ever setup a screwdriver on a RV and have it work very well ?

I have one installed but it preforms very poorly compared to
how well it worked on my car.

I think it is not working very well because the entire antenna is next to
the side of the motorhome.. and on my car.. only maybe the bottom 2 feet
of it were beside another surface.

I guess another question would be.. does anyone know if it would

possibly
work better if it could be mounted at an angle instead of directly
vertical?

i'll check it out

--
Registered Linux User #346565

Old March 18th 04, 11:23 PM
Lloyd Mitchell

without a doubt, i can highly recommend screwdriver type made by talheel
antennas in NC. those antennas are great! I like them better than the high
serrias and even home made ones that are cheaper.

go to http://www.tarheelantennas.com/

Old March 19th 04, 02:46 AM
Jeremy Salch

Jeremy Salch wrote:
Anyone ever setup a screwdriver on a RV and have it work very well ?

I have one installed but it preforms very poorly compared to
how well it worked on my car.

I think it is not working very well because the entire antenna is next

the side of the motorhome.. and on my car.. only maybe the bottom 2

feet
of it were beside another surface.

I guess another question would be.. does anyone know if it would

possibly
work better if it could be mounted at an angle instead of directly
vertical?

i'll check it out

--
Registered Linux User #346565

Well.. I've got a screwdriver antenna.. www.kj7u.com i'm working on
ways to mount it that will work.

--
Registered Linux User #346565

Old March 19th 04, 01:35 PM
Vito

Tarheel offered a motorized mount for RV's, etc, that moved their antennae
from horizontal to vertical to allow mounting atop the moho.
73, K3DWW

"Jeremy Salch" wrote

Old March 19th 04, 05:55 PM
Jeremy Salch

Lloyd Mitchell wrote:

go to http://www.tarheelantennas.com/

Well.. I've got a screwdriver antenna.. www.kj7u.com i'm working on
ways to mount it that will work.

Oh I didn't realize they had the mount allready made. That is interesting
i'll check that out

--
Registered Linux User #346565

more screwdriver data H. Adam Stevens, NQ5H Antenna 0 January 25th 04 04:16 PM
Question on HS Screwdriver land installation Paul Braun Antenna 2 November 13th 03 08:06 PM
DK3 screwdriver antenna and artificial ground Pierre Antenna 5 October 14th 03 04:05 PM
screwdriver antenna jwsmid Antenna 2 September 22nd 03 07:06 PM
Predator Mobile Screwdriver Antenna Butch Antenna 1 September 15th 03 03:44 PM