Old March 15th 04, 02:57 PM
Toni

Default Electric and Magnetic fields

Hi,

I have always been taught that electrical and magnetic RF fields
went always together. You couldn't produce one without the other
and vice-versa.

Then I read about mag-loops having better RX noise immunity than
normal antennas because they react to magnetic fields, whilst
man-made noise occurs mostly on electrical fields.

??????

If both fields go together, how can noise be greater in the
electrical field than in the magnetic one? Does that mean that
you can effectively produce one without the other?

Taking it further, if you can _receive_ one while rejecting the
other, then, by the reciprocity law, you should be able to
produce one without the other.

What is (where am I) wrong?

EA3FYA - Toni
Old March 15th 04, 04:11 PM
Cecil Moore

Toni wrote:
I have always been taught that electrical and magnetic RF fields
went always together. You couldn't produce one without the other
and vice-versa.

The ratio of the E-field to the H-field is the impedance.
For free space, the characteristic impedance is 377 ohms.
For a small loop antenna, the H-field is much greater than
the E-field and the impedance is very small. Presumably,
in a superconducting loop, the E-field is zero and all the
energy is contained in the H-field. I wonder if we will
ever have superconducting ham antennas?
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old March 15th 04, 05:10 PM
Richard Clark

On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 15:57:00 +0100, Toni wrote:
Then I read about mag-loops having better RX noise immunity than
normal antennas because they react to magnetic fields, whilst
man-made noise occurs mostly on electrical fields.

Hi Toni,

The noise that is very local, or within one or two wavelengths of its
source has a different field than that which propagates in from across
town, or region, or country....

This would be noise from fluorescent lighting, TVs, Computers, motors
and such within the neighborhood or home. That same noise coming from
across town has a different field structure and it conforms to your
expected reciprocity.

But really, this is a matter of luck and the polarization of the loop
too. Most of that noise is vertically polarized. The loop in the
horizontal position may show more sensitivity than in the vertical
position. Further, the noise may be coupled electrostatically rather
than electromagnetically.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC
Old March 15th 04, 06:45 PM
Dr. Slick

Toni wrote in message . ..
Hi,

I have always been taught that electrical and magnetic RF fields
went always together. You couldn't produce one without the other
and vice-versa.

A changing magnetic field creates a changing electrical field
which are orthogonal (perpedicular) top each other:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu...avecon.html#c1

Then I read about mag-loops having better RX noise immunity than
normal antennas because they react to magnetic fields, whilst
man-made noise occurs mostly on electrical fields.

??????

Sounds like a load of bullsh*t to me. Assuming the man-made
noise is still a propagating EM wave, how can they not have an
electric field?

If both fields go together, how can noise be greater in the
electrical field than in the magnetic one? Does that mean that
you can effectively produce one without the other?

Taking it further, if you can _receive_ one while rejecting the
other, then, by the reciprocity law, you should be able to
produce one without the other.

What is (where am I) wrong?

EA3FYA - Toni

I think you are correct to question this claim.

Slick
Old March 15th 04, 07:45 PM
Cecil Moore

Dr. Slick wrote:
Sounds like a load of bullsh*t to me. Assuming the man-made
noise is still a propagating EM wave, how can they not have an
electric field?

The basic question is probably: Does an incoming EM wave couple
more of its magnetic field than its electric field into a small
loop (magnetic) antenna?
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old March 15th 04, 08:20 PM
Tom Bruhns

In a free-space field far from any antennas, the ratio of electrical
to magnetic fields, for time-varying fields, is always the same, so in
such a field, just as you say, there is no way to separate "man-made
noise" from something that we hope might have more information than
the noise in it. (But avoid American telecasts when making this
comparison...)

However, near the source of the man-made noise, the ratio is likely to
be much higher (more electric than magnetic), and it's in that
near-field area where the loop may do you some good. That tends to
mean that the rejection will be best at low frequencies, typically
medium-wave (AM domestic broadcast band) and lower. In general, in
the near field of any antenna, you will see E/M ratios that are
significantly different from the far-field ratio.

To take advantage of the possible man-made noise rejection, the
receiving loop must be properly designed and constructed, and of
course the noise must indeed be maily electric-field at your location.

Cheers,
Tom

Old March 16th 04, 02:16 AM
Dr. Slick

Cecil Moore wrote in message ...
Dr. Slick wrote:
Sounds like a load of bullsh*t to me. Assuming the man-made
noise is still a propagating EM wave, how can they not have an
electric field?

The basic question is probably: Does an incoming EM wave couple
more of its magnetic field than its electric field into a small
loop (magnetic) antenna?

Well i found this site:

http://home.datacomm.ch/hb9abx/loop1-e.htm

Which says that the loop antenna will perform better than a
dipole when close to the ground plane. But this doesn't prove that
man-made noise doesn't have an electric field component.

S.
Old March 16th 04, 04:19 AM
Cecil Moore

Dr. Slick wrote:
Which says that the loop antenna will perform better than a
dipole when close to the ground plane. But this doesn't prove that
man-made noise doesn't have an electric field component.

Isn't it supposed to be just the opposite? - the local noise has
a high E-field component and a low H-field component?
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old March 16th 04, 09:11 PM
Dr. Slick

Dr. Slick wrote:
Which says that the loop antenna will perform better than a
dipole when close to the ground plane. But this doesn't prove that
man-made noise doesn't have an electric field component.

Isn't it supposed to be just the opposite? - the local noise has
a high E-field component and a low H-field component?

I suppose that's what the original poster claims.

This seems to have more to do with polarization than whether or
not man-made noise has a stronger E-field component in the near field.

S.
Old March 17th 04, 08:10 AM
Toni

Ok, so trying to summarize your answers, it seems that

- Electric and Magnetic fields, effectively, go together, but
their ratio may vary, especially at the antenna's near field.

- Cecil Moore says in free space this ratio is the 377 ohms
characteristic impedance. I don't know how to mathematically
check this, but seems reasonable to me.

- It is clear that polarization is an important factor in
rejecting noise. I never doubted that.

So, apparently, it would be clear that

- a reception system capable of discriminating electric/magnetic
fields should be able to reduce unwanted noise from near sources

and

-adding the capability to discriminate different polarizations
would also help with noise from both near and far sources.

Correct?

73,
EA3FYA - Toni