Old April 22nd 09, 01:39 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default 10 Meter Vertical

Make a good 10 meter vertical from CB Antenna, Solarcon Antron A-99
Vertical, just out of the box, never used. 9.9 (sic) dBi Gain. New
price $89.95 plus shipping. Just found the GPK-1 radial kit (in the
box) for the A-99, new cost $52.95 plus shipping. 2,000 Watt Rated,
18-29 MHz Optimal Range can be used for Amateur Band 10 Meters (cut
11.5" of the top radiator). Female UHF Coax Connection, Height: 17.5'
Feet Tall, No Ground Needed . New package deal both for $90.00 Plus
shipping. or Call (757) 487-0357
Old April 22nd 09, 03:09 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Sonny Hood wrote:
Make a good 10 meter vertical from CB Antenna, Solarcon Antron A-99
Vertical, just out of the box, never used. 9.9 (sic) dBi Gain. New
price $89.95 plus shipping. Just found the GPK-1 radial kit (in the
box) for the A-99, new cost $52.95 plus shipping. 2,000 Watt Rated,
18-29 MHz Optimal Range can be used for Amateur Band 10 Meters (cut
11.5" of the top radiator). Female UHF Coax Connection, Height: 17.5'
Feet Tall, No Ground Needed . New package deal both for $90.00 Plus
shipping. or Call (757) 487-0357

WOW!

I have a .61 wavelength 4 element beam that's only a dB or so better!
What the heck does this design look like?

tom
K0TAR
Old April 22nd 09, 04:12 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Tom Ring" wrote in message
. net...
Sonny Hood wrote:
Make a good 10 meter vertical from CB Antenna, Solarcon Antron A-99
Vertical, just out of the box, never used. 9.9 (sic) dBi Gain. New
price $89.95 plus shipping. Just found the GPK-1 radial kit (in the
box) for the A-99, new cost $52.95 plus shipping. 2,000 Watt Rated,
18-29 MHz Optimal Range can be used for Amateur Band 10 Meters (cut
11.5" of the top radiator). Female UHF Coax Connection, Height: 17.5'
Feet Tall, No Ground Needed . New package deal both for $90.00 Plus
shipping. or Call (757) 487-0357

WOW!

I have a .61 wavelength 4 element beam that's only a dB or so better! What
the heck does this design look like?

tom
K0TAR

Now, now Tom. You have to understand the i in dBi stands for impossible.
Dale W4OP

Old April 22nd 09, 06:13 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Tom Ring wrote:
Sonny Hood wrote:
Make a good 10 meter vertical from CB Antenna, Solarcon Antron A-99
Vertical, just out of the box, never used. 9.9 (sic) dBi Gain. New
price $89.95 plus shipping. Just found the GPK-1 radial kit (in the
box) for the A-99, new cost $52.95 plus shipping. 2,000 Watt Rated,
18-29 MHz Optimal Range can be used for Amateur Band 10 Meters (cut
11.5" of the top radiator). Female UHF Coax Connection, Height: 17.5'
Feet Tall, No Ground Needed . New package deal both for $90.00 Plus
shipping. or Call (757) 487-0357

WOW!

I have a .61 wavelength 4 element beam that's only a dB or so better!
What the heck does this design look like?

tom
K0TAR

That's actually pretty sorry for a CB whip. Most of 'em have at least 12
dB gain and are rated for 10,000 watts. A visit to your local truck
stop will convince you.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL
Old April 22nd 09, 06:20 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

In message , Tom Ring
writes
Sonny Hood wrote:
Make a good 10 meter vertical from CB Antenna, Solarcon Antron A-99
Vertical, just out of the box, never used. 9.9 (sic) dBi Gain. New
price $89.95 plus shipping. Just found the GPK-1 radial kit (in the
box) for the A-99, new cost $52.95 plus shipping. 2,000 Watt Rated,
18-29 MHz Optimal Range can be used for Amateur Band 10 Meters (cut
11.5" of the top radiator). Female UHF Coax Connection, Height: 17.5'
Feet Tall, No Ground Needed . New package deal both for $90.00 Plus
shipping. or Call (757) 487-0357

WOW!

I have a .61 wavelength 4 element beam that's only a dB or so better!
What the heck does this design look like?

tom
K0TAR

It includes ground gain. However if they want to play this game, an
isotropic antenna has a gain of 6dBi, which gets you back to 3.9dBi, but
even that is pushing it for a 1/2 over a 1/4 , unless you can get it up
at a few hundred feet. :-)

Brian GM4DIJ

--
Brian Howie

Old April 22nd 09, 08:29 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Brian Howie" wrote in message
In message , Tom Ring
writes
Sonny Hood wrote:
[...]

Actually, if you want an emergency antenna for operating 20 to 6 meters with
a tuner, the A-99 Solarcon can do the job.

Let's face it, without favorable propagation, no antenna, regardless of its
alleged gain, is going to provide contacts. After that admission,
directionality and gain are about all that the beam antennas provide. For
someone living in a small footprint land parcel with very limited antenna
options, the A-99 by Solarcon is really a pretty good deal.

I've worked Europe, Africa, Russia and all of the US, Mexico, Central
America and South America with ease. When the bands are open, you are
capable of working most of the world with one of these antennas and only 100
watts. And I'm talking about voice contacts, not power miserly CW or digital
models.

Now, consider that you're sitting on your bed (your hamshack) and you are
thinking of the money that you have, which isn't enough to buy a tower, a
rotator and the beam that you want, but is enough to buy the Solarcon A-99
antenna, which you can put up yourself without protest from the landlord. On
the one hand you have no operating at all, but in the other hand (A-99), you
can work the world. Which would you choose?

Believe it or not, I was chewing the rag with a fellow in Austria one day
for quite a while (can't remember his callsign). We finally got around to
talking about station equipment and we went through the radio list and other
stuff. I purposefully avoided mentioning my antenna (we were on 12 or 10
meters). But after a while, he wore me down and I admitted that I was using
a Solarcon A-99. All he did was say, "That's a CB antenna!" gave his
callsign and that was the last I heard from him. He was convinced that I was
a bootlegger, even though I used my legal callsign which was then current in
the callbook.

It's hard to believe that there are such snobs in the world.

Ed, AJ4PJ

Old April 22nd 09, 12:18 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Apr 22, 2:29*am, "Ed Cregger" wrote:

Ed, AJ4PJ

Did you change calls yet again? I'm confused.. :/

Old April 22nd 09, 04:52 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

I have a .61 wavelength 4 element beam that's only a dB or so better!
What the heck does this design look like?

tom
K0TAR

I have an A-4S thats only 8.4db gain. I guess I paid way too much and
should have bought
this WONDER antenna
Old April 22nd 09, 05:29 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

R.Scott wrote:
I have a .61 wavelength 4 element beam that's only a dB or so better!
What the heck does this design look like?

tom
K0TAR

I have an A-4S thats only 8.4db gain. I guess I paid way too much and
should have bought
this WONDER antenna

I'm just putting the final touches on the conversion of my well-used
"Antenna Basics" talk from overheads to Power Point for an upcoming
convention in Boise this weekend. Among the promises I make at the
beginning are to show how to make a back yard dipole with over 4.4 dBd
gain, and a three-element beam with 3 S-Units gain. But after some
thought, I decided that the beam actually has 6 S-Units gain, and that's
what I'll guarantee. So a 9 dB vertical is child's play.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL
Old April 22nd 09, 05:43 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Roy Lewallen wrote:
R.Scott wrote:
I have a .61 wavelength 4 element beam that's only a dB or so better!
What the heck does this design look like?

tom
K0TAR

I have an A-4S thats only 8.4db gain. I guess I paid way too much and
should have bought
this WONDER antenna

I'm just putting the final touches on the conversion of my well-used
"Antenna Basics" talk from overheads to Power Point for an upcoming
convention in Boise this weekend. Among the promises I make at the
beginning are to show how to make a back yard dipole with over 4.4 dBd
gain, and a three-element beam with 3 S-Units gain. But after some
thought, I decided that the beam actually has 6 S-Units gain, and that's
what I'll guarantee. So a 9 dB vertical is child's play.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

Roy;

When you are finished with the convention can you post the PP somewhere
on the net so we can download it. It sounds interesting.

Dave WD9BDZ