Old May 17th 09, 05:25 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default What is the correlation between radio waves and cancer?

I know that there is some concern that cell phones may cause cancer.
But is there any possible correlation between the radio waves we use
to communicate, either by commercial radio or other sources and
cancer? Or what about the radio waves that are being emitted from our
personal electronic appliances? I have heard that there is some
concern that if you live near a power line that you may be at risk for
cancer. What is the state of research into this subject?

Thanks
Old May 17th 09, 06:07 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Sat, 16 May 2009 21:25:24 -0700 (PDT), MacaualyFlower
wrote:

I know that there is some concern that cell phones may cause cancer.
But is there any possible correlation between the radio waves we use
to communicate, either by commercial radio or other sources and
cancer? Or what about the radio waves that are being emitted from our
personal electronic appliances? I have heard that there is some
concern that if you live near a power line that you may be at risk for
cancer. What is the state of research into this subject?

This has what to do with amateur radio or antennas?

I covered the topic about 2 years ago in:
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.internet.wireless/msg/fd25bae4b3f10c13
The US incidence rate for brain and central nervous system cancers has
been fairly flat at about 6-7 cases per 100,000 population per year
since about 1975 (SEER 9). It's kinda difficult to pry a usable graph
out of the web pile, so I ran the "fast stats" for long term brain
cancer, for all age and ethnic groups. See:
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/crud/brain-CNS-cancer.jpg
(Note that the incidence of brain cancer is actually decreasing with
time). If there were a correlation between cell phone use and cancer,
one would expect to see at least a nominal rise in brain cancer
incidence, as cell phone use has dramatically increased the same time
period.

The current FCC position on RF safety is at:
http://www.fcc.gov/oet/rfsafety/
http://www.fcc.gov/Bureaus/Engineering_Technology/Documents/bulletins/oet60/oet60a.pdf

Your risk of dying from a vehicle accident, while driving and talking
on a cell phone, is far greater than the alleged risk of contracting
cancer.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old May 17th 09, 06:12 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Sat, 16 May 2009 22:07:17 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

I covered the topic about 2 years ago in:
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.internet.wireless/msg/fd25bae4b3f10c13
The US incidence rate for brain and central nervous system cancers has
been fairly flat at about 6-7 cases per 100,000 population per year
since about 1975 (SEER 9). It's kinda difficult to pry a usable graph
out of the web pile, so I ran the "fast stats" for long term brain
cancer, for all age and ethnic groups. See:
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/crud/brain-CNS-cancer.jpg

Sorry, I forgot to include the URL of the cancer data:
http://seer.cancer.gov/faststats/selections.php?series=cancer

Old May 17th 09, 06:50 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

This has what to do with amateur radio or antennas?

Amateur radio uses radio waves, and I believe that antennas propagate
them and receive them don't they?

But in any case, I thank you for your answer.
Old May 17th 09, 07:25 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

wrote:

I know that there is some concern that cell phones may cause cancer.

Actually, there is probably a higher correlation between cancer and
talking into your hand.

But is there any possible correlation between the radio waves we use
to communicate, either by commercial radio or other sources and
cancer?

You could almost pump the odds to 100% by standing in front of an open
microwave ever day. Now, if I were to move that 1 in the 100 to the
right by 5 places (0.001%) would you feel better, or worse? What if
it were less than your chances for being hit by a car by simply
stepping out of your house? Not exactly cancer there, I will admit,
and perhaps a more compelling outcome (you might live another 20 years
with cancer, but only 15 minutes more impaled as a hood ornament).

Or what about the radio waves that are being emitted from our
personal electronic appliances?

We have entered the realm of getting out of bed to suffer being struck
by a comet.

I have heard that there is some
concern that if you live near a power line that you may be at risk for
cancer.

Can you name 5 people (not related to each other) who do not live near
a power line? With luck, they will die of Heart disease first. For
most of us, that line is no further than 8 feet away.

What is the state of research into this subject?

Settled. Of course, there are those who thrill to the thought of a
slow death like Camille's. Those romantics generally seek out
confirmatory evidence. Research, for their benefit, marches on.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

Old May 17th 09, 05:53 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Sat, 16 May 2009 22:50:04 -0700 (PDT), MacaualyFlower
wrote:

This has what to do with amateur radio or antennas?

Amateur radio uses radio waves, and I believe that antennas propagate
them and receive them don't they?

But in any case, I thank you for your answer.

Ok. That's closer than most of the off topic rubbish the pollutes
most newsgroups. I can see you logic. After reading some of the
postings in this newsgroup, I too might suspect that exposure to RF
and antennas might produce insanity, illogic, political conservatism,
and delusions of omniscience.

Incidentally, someone wrote me noting the peak on the graph around
1985 and offering various theories as to the origin of the peak. I
should point out that the total variation over 30 years (from 0.6 ppm
to 0.7 ppm) yields a total variation of 0.001%. That's well within
statistical error limits, and is essentially flat. The most likely
reason for the slight increase in incidence is that PET scanners
became available for diagnosis in the early 1980's, which probably
produced a small increase in additional early diagnosis cases. This
peak tapered off as PET scans became routine.

There's also the issue of delayed reactions to RF exposure. This is
certainly a real possibility as some cancers appear perhaps 20 years
after exposure. However, with such a huge increase in cell phone use
between 1975 and 2006, there's not even the slightest indication in
the cancer incidence curves of a corresponding, but delayed, increase.
If anything, there's a slight decrease in brain cancer incidence,
which suggests that using a cell phone may help PREVENT brain cancer.

Old May 17th 09, 07:37 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On May 16, 9:25*pm, MacaualyFlower
wrote:
I know that there is some concern that cell phones may cause cancer.
But is there any possible correlation between the radio waves we use
to communicate, either by commercial radio or other sources and
cancer? *Or what about the radio waves that are being emitted from our
personal electronic appliances? *I have heard that there is some
concern that if you live near a power line that you may be at risk for
cancer. *What is the state of research into this subject?

Thanks

This has nothing to do with radio waves (electromagnetic radiation),
but there is ALWAYS a correlation between any thing. Correlation goes
from -1 to +1, passing through zero. So, yes, there is a correlation,
but it may be negative, it may be zero, or it may be positive, but it
is always something.

Paul, KD7HB
Old May 18th 09, 03:36 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Jeff Liebermann wrote:
There's also the issue of delayed reactions to RF exposure. This is
certainly a real possibility as some cancers appear perhaps 20 years
after exposure.

The delay for skin cancer risk after sun exposure (which is also EM rad)
is more like 40 years.
Old May 18th 09, 07:34 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Mon, 18 May 2009 12:36:07 +1000, Clifford Heath
wrote:

Jeff Liebermann wrote:
There's also the issue of delayed reactions to RF exposure. This is
certainly a real possibility as some cancers appear perhaps 20 years
after exposure.

The delay for skin cancer risk after sun exposure (which is also EM rad)
is more like 40 years.

Yep. We may be dead before symptoms appear.

http://www.healthnewsflash.com/conditions/skin_cancer.php
In addition, skin cancer is related to lifetime exposure to
UV radiation. Most skin cancers appear after age 50, but the
sun's damaging effects begin at an early age. Therefore,
protection should start in childhood to prevent skin cancer
later in life.

It's possible that brain cancer induced by RF exposure might work the
same way. At this time, there's no evidence of such a mechanism.
Widespread handheld cell phone use started in about 1990. If it
really takes 40 years to see problems, we'll just have to wait until
2030.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

HD Radio malignant cancer tries to spread globally [email protected] Shortwave 0 June 23rd 08 10:56 PM
blocking radio waves merlin-7 Antenna 19 July 8th 07 12:57 PM
Radio Waves help!! DC Antenna 4 December 7th 06 01:49 AM
Traveling Waves, Power Waves,..., Any Waves,... pez Antenna 10 December 13th 03 03:43 PM
radio waves Richard Cranium Swap 8 August 9th 03 11:35 PM