Old May 25th 09, 02:01 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default 4:1 Balun

Having read Sevic's book I am building the 4:1 Guanella balun on a
SINGLE toroidial core. My question relates to the direction of winding
for the two biflar windings that are required. The windings are
connected in parallel on the low impedance end and in series on the
high impedance end. The text speaks to the need to make connections
such that they are series aiding. Do I need to wind one biflar pair in
a clockwise direction and the other in a counterclockwise direction to
achieve this if I want only parallel connections on one end and series
connections on the other? I hope somebody has the book to look at the
4:1 Guanella configuration.
Old May 25th 09, 03:23 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On May 24, 8:33*pm, Owen Duffy wrote:

The article athttp://www.vk1od.net/balun/gsc/index.htmmight help to
clarify the terminology, and show you that a 4:1 Guanella balun on a single
core will not work properly.

Owen

Thanks for quick reply Owen. Guess I took the Sevick single toroid
design as authoritative. I will move to a 2 core configuration, which,
in my case, is more intuitive to begin with. Also bookmarked your
page. Good stuff!

Dykes
AD5VS

Old May 25th 09, 03:37 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

dykesc wrote in
:

On May 24, 8:33*pm, Owen Duffy wrote:

The article athttp://www.vk1od.net/balun/gsc/index.htmmight help to
clarify the terminology, and show you that a 4:1 Guanella balun on a
sing

le
core will not work properly.

Owen

Thanks for quick reply Owen. Guess I took the Sevick single toroid
design as authoritative. I will move to a 2 core configuration, which,
in my case, is more intuitive to begin with. Also bookmarked your
page. Good stuff!

Dykes,

Oh well, lots of people have built them and assert that they "work", but
that goes to the meaning of "works" more than anything.

I think there are even commercial single core implementations of
Guanella's 4:1 balun, but then there is a lot of snake oil in that
industry!

If you make one on a medium µ core and measure it, it is clear that it
doesn't "work" where "work" means that the currents in the output leads
are approximately equal but opposite in direction.

Owen

TV 4:1 BALUN JIMMIE Antenna 20 January 26th 09 03:55 AM
SWL Newbies : The Magnetic Long-Wire Antenna Balun - A Balun It Ain't RHF Shortwave 0 March 29th 08 05:23 PM
9 to 1 balun ve2ztt Antenna 8 December 28th 06 12:06 PM
What Balun to use 1:1 or 4:1 ? VE3PMK Antenna 5 January 8th 04 12:37 PM
Horizontal loop - balun or no balun ? Per Enocson Antenna 5 December 14th 03 01:28 AM