Old June 2nd 09, 04:31 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Hexbeam Antenna Modeling

Hello, everyone. I'm enquiring as to whether anyone has done NEC2/NEC4
modeling on the subject antenna (including a tower mounting) and operating
on the ham bands. Do you have tabulated driving point (antenna feedpoint)
and gain data that you might share? Thanks for your time and comment.
Sincerely, and 73s from N4GGO,

John Wood (Code 5550) e-mail:
Naval Research Laboratory
4555 Overlook Avenue, SW
Washington, DC 20375-5337
Old June 2nd 09, 08:32 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

J. B. Wood wrote:
Hello, everyone. I'm enquiring as to whether anyone has done NEC2/NEC4
modeling on the subject antenna (including a tower mounting) and operating
on the ham bands. Do you have tabulated driving point (antenna feedpoint)
and gain data that you might share? Thanks for your time and comment.
Sincerely, and 73s from N4GGO,

John Wood (Code 5550) e-mail:
Naval Research Laboratory
4555 Overlook Avenue, SW
Washington, DC 20375-5337

I suggest you contact the manufacturer (
http://www.hexbeam.com), if you
haven't already. They might have some information they'd share.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL
Old June 2nd 09, 09:48 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

In article ,
wrote:

J. B. Wood wrote:
Hello, everyone. I'm enquiring as to whether anyone has done NEC2/NEC4
modeling on the subject antenna (including a tower mounting) and operating
on the ham bands. Do you have tabulated driving point (antenna feedpoint)
and gain data that you might share? Thanks for your time and comment.
Sincerely, and 73s from N4GGO,

John Wood (Code 5550) e-mail:

Naval Research Laboratory
4555 Overlook Avenue, SW
Washington, DC 20375-5337

I suggest you contact the manufacturer (
http://www.hexbeam.com), if you
haven't already. They might have some information they'd share.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

Thanks for responding, Roy. Some hams are apparently assembling the
antenna from their own materials rather than buying the antenna outright.
Of all the folks that I can think of that might have done a MoM analysis
of this antenna, you come to my mind first. 73s,

John Wood (Code 5550) e-mail:
Naval Research Laboratory
4555 Overlook Avenue, SW
Washington, DC 20375-5337
Old June 2nd 09, 10:05 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

John,

Take a look at my web site if you haven't already found it. There are
2 pages devoted to modelling the hexbeam and there's an EZNEC file for
a five-band version you can download:

http://www.karinya.net/g3txq/hexbeam/eznec1/
http://www.karinya.net/g3txq/hexbeam/eznec2/

73,
Steve G3TXQ

Old June 3rd 09, 03:53 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
tom tom is offline

wrote:
John,

Take a look at my web site if you haven't already found it. There are
2 pages devoted to modelling the hexbeam and there's an EZNEC file for
a five-band version you can download:

http://www.karinya.net/g3txq/hexbeam/eznec1/
http://www.karinya.net/g3txq/hexbeam/eznec2/

73,
Steve G3TXQ

Nicely done, Steve. Thanks.

tom
K0TAR

Old June 3rd 09, 04:35 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

J. B. Wood wrote:
Hello, everyone. I'm enquiring as to whether anyone has done NEC2/NEC4
modeling on the subject antenna (including a tower mounting) and operating
on the ham bands.

Interesting designs, I hadn't seen them before.
For a hand-held DF sniffer on 2m, might there be
compactness advantages? What would the approximate
dimensions of be of a hexbeam on 2 metres?

Clifford Heath, VK3CLF
Old June 3rd 09, 08:49 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Clifford,

Turn radius is about 12.5" for a 2m broadband hex.

It should be possible to get very deep and narrow F/B nulls by
adjusting the Driver/Reflector end spacing at some cost to the VSWR.

Steve G3TXQ
Old June 3rd 09, 11:48 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

wrote:
John,

Take a look at my web site if you haven't already found it. There are
2 pages devoted to modelling the hexbeam and there's an EZNEC file for
a five-band version you can download:

http://www.karinya.net/g3txq/hexbeam/eznec1/
http://www.karinya.net/g3txq/hexbeam/eznec2/

73,
Steve G3TXQ

Now, that's what I'm talkin' about! Great job, Steve. 73's,
Old June 4th 09, 09:45 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Clifford,

There are two styles of hexbeam: the older design which has a W-shape
Driver and a W-shape Reflector, and which I call the "classic" on my
web site; and my newer broadband design which has a W-shape Driver and
a U-shape Reflector.

I found in my lab notebook a 2m version of the broadband style; its
dimensions a half-Driver 21"; Reflector 40"; end gap 2.5". I think
I assumed wire construction using #14 bare copper. That would give a
hexagon radius of 12.5".

When I model this with EZNEC I see about 3.8dBd Forward Gain and 19dB
F/B with VSWR=1.4. The problem is that the rearward response is very
smooth and "well behaved" so probably not much use for DF.

If I increase the end gap to 5" the Forward Gain and F/B remain about
the same, but the azimuth pattern devlops deep side nulls (38dB) at
plus and minus 130 degrees which may be useful. The VSWR deteriorates
to 1.8:1.

Hopefully that may give you a starting point for experimentation. If I
get a chance I'll try some modelling experiments on the classic design
also.

73,
Steve G3TXQ

Modeling Slot Antenna David Antenna 5 September 11th 06 11:23 PM
Antenna modeling turorial? Ken Knecht Antenna 9 June 23rd 05 02:45 AM
Antenna modeling art Antenna 10 January 26th 05 02:14 PM
antenna modeling question larry d clark Antenna 1 January 29th 04 03:52 PM
Hexbeam vs. Cushcraft MA5B RC Antenna 1 October 12th 03 08:06 PM