Old June 3rd 09, 03:12 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default radio antenna designed to pick up a specific station

Hello all,

There is a particular station in my area, 105.1, that I really like.
Unfortunately, it barely comes in, and sometimes doesn't at all. I
would like to build an antenna which is designed specifically for this
station and which can somehow plug into my normal radio. I know
nothing about this subject. Could someone please point me in the right
direction?

Greg
Old June 3rd 09, 03:29 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

TefJlives wrote:

There is a particular station in my area, 105.1, that I really like.
Unfortunately, it barely comes in, and sometimes doesn't at all. I
would like to build an antenna which is designed specifically for this
station and which can somehow plug into my normal radio. I know
nothing about this subject. Could someone please point me in the right
direction?

http://bfn.org/~bn589/antenna.html

Plug in the frequency and hit calculate for a 3 element Yagi.

You can make it out of a piece of wood and some stiff wire. Feed it with either
300 ohm twinlead or coax.

If you radio has a 300 ohm connection (two screws) use twinlead, if it has
a single round hole, use coax cable.

you might start with something simpler:

start with a dipole, two 1/4 wave wires one connected to the center of the
coax and the other to the shield (the outside copper braid), or if you
use twinlead, one to each side.

Play with the the location and position (up and down or right and left)
and the angle of the antenna. If you drew an arrow pointing to the station,
it should cross the dipole where the wires connect if it is horizontal.

If that almost works, go to a 1/4 wave vertical (one wire sticking
up with a 4 wires of the same length hanging down. Connect the vertical to
the center wire of the coax or one of the twinlead wires and the four downward
ones to the shield (other wire). The downward ones should be arranged in a
circle around the vertical, e.g.:

downward downward

vertical (up)

downward downward

If that does not work, build a 3 element beam.

If that does not work, see if they have an Internet feed. :-)

Geoff.

Old June 3rd 09, 03:45 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

TefJlives wrote:
Hello all,

There is a particular station in my area, 105.1, that I really like.
Unfortunately, it barely comes in, and sometimes doesn't at all. I
would like to build an antenna which is designed specifically for this
station and which can somehow plug into my normal radio. I know
nothing about this subject. Could someone please point me in the right
direction?

Greg

What do you have for an antenna now and what is your "normal radio".

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old June 3rd 09, 04:59 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Jun 3, 10:29*am, "Geoffrey S. Mendelson"
wrote:
TefJlives wrote:
[...]

Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jerusalem, Israel *N3OWJ/4X1GM

Many thanks! I will give a try to what you suggest.
Old June 3rd 09, 05:01 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Jun 3, 10:45*am, wrote:
TefJlives wrote:
Hello all,

There is a particular station in my area, 105.1, that I really like.
Unfortunately, it barely comes in, and sometimes doesn't at all. I
would like to build an antenna which is designed specifically for this
station and which can somehow plug into my normal radio. I know
nothing about this subject. Could someone please point me in the right
direction?

Greg

What do you have for an antenna now and what is your "normal radio".

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.

A piece of junk boombox. Emerson Model PD6607. The antenna is the
antenna sticking out the top of it.

Old June 3rd 09, 05:30 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

TefJlives wrote:
On Jun 3, 10:45Â*am, wrote:
TefJlives wrote:
Hello all,

There is a particular station in my area, 105.1, that I really like.
Unfortunately, it barely comes in, and sometimes doesn't at all. I
would like to build an antenna which is designed specifically for this
station and which can somehow plug into my normal radio. I know
nothing about this subject. Could someone please point me in the right
direction?

Greg

What do you have for an antenna now and what is your "normal radio".

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.

A piece of junk boombox. Emerson Model PD6607. The antenna is the
antenna sticking out the top of it.

Just about any antenna will be better than that if you mount up in the
air.

The trick will be connecting it to the radio if there isn't an existing
connector for an external antenna.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old June 3rd 09, 08:32 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Jun 3, 12:30*pm, wrote:
TefJlives wrote:
On Jun 3, 10:45*am, wrote:
TefJlives wrote:
[...]

How can you connect a better antenna to a radio like this? I don't
mind taking it apart a bit.
Old June 3rd 09, 09:00 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

TefJlives wrote:
On Jun 3, 12:30Â*pm, wrote:
TefJlives wrote:
On Jun 3, 10:45Â*am, wrote:
TefJlives wrote:
[...]

Likely the simplest thing to do is open it up and find the connection
to the existing antenna, then add a connector wired to the same place.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old June 3rd 09, 09:04 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"TefJlives" wrote in message
On Jun 3, 12:30 pm, wrote:
TefJlives wrote:
On Jun 3, 10:45 am, wrote:
TefJlives wrote:
[...]

Hi Greg

If you are willing to construct the Yagii, it would be possible you can
couple it to your BoomBox by looping the "twisted pair" from the yagii
around the case of the radio. Maybe you could experiment with twisting the
twisted pair around the antenna you now pull out for the VHF range. It is
possible that you will see some improvement by making a circular loop with
the wires in the twisted pair and position the loop near the present (pull
out) antenna.

Jerry KD6JDJ

Old June 4th 09, 04:13 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

How can you connect a better antenna to a radio like this? I don't
mind taking it apart a bit.

Likely the simplest thing to do is open it up and find the connection
to the existing antenna, then add a connector wired to the same place.

Use the TV antenna.
It won't matter too much if you use twinlead or coax. You can just put a "
F" connector or screw terminals into the radio as above. I prefer to use a
300 ohm balun from the 75 ohm coax for isolation though because of the
possibility of AC leakage to the TV chassis.

Specific Antenna Dale1 Scanner 1 November 21st 08 07:47 PM
HD radio application specific integrated chip sets are yet to be found Telamon Shortwave 5 July 14th 08 12:47 PM
Beginner Cant Pick up a Single Station in San Francisco Mike Chambers Shortwave 19 December 29th 06 05:52 AM
Why does my police scanner pick up this FM broadcast station on WFM? It does not pick up any other stations. [email protected] Scanner 9 April 17th 05 01:54 AM
Radio specific battery charging question Sanjaya Shortwave 8 February 6th 04 09:02 PM