Old June 9th 09, 03:17 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Mag Mount lesson

Roy Lewallen wrote:
As bad as that experience was, it could have been worse. If the coax had
come loose, it could have broken the windshield of or caused other
damage to a following car.

I had a 5/8 wave 2 meter whip come loose once. It stayed connected and
bounced along behind the car for a while -- luckily no damage except to
the whip. I've used only 1/4 wave 2 meter whips since.

I have a 5/8th also. There is a bridge on the local interstate where a
lot of pigeons live. They seem to like to play "chicken" with the cars.
One day a couple flew really close while I was driving by. One of them
swooped up, missing the windshield, but unfortunately finding my 2 meter
antenna. All I could see in the rear view was a lot of feathers. The
antenna stayed put. Bent it a little though.

- 73 de Mike N3LI -
Old June 9th 09, 03:49 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

tom wrote:
Michael Coslo wrote:
Maybe some people can take something away from my unfortunate experience.

snip
- 73 de Mike N3LI -

I have had a couple negative experiences with single magnets, and one
with a 6 meter halo on a triple magnet. I would say the triple or quad
with a hamstick is practically impossible to knock off, however. At
least at any speed less than 30 over the interstate limit including
normal wind gusts. Or so I've heard.

It is perhaps that "normal" business that is where the problem lies.
This road (speciifically, it is route 22 over Cresson mountain near
Altoona PA, is notorious for high and gusty winds. They have wind
warning signs, and even a tower mounted sensor that will trip electronic
signs. Trailers have flipped over in that area. Who knows what exact
wind hit me.

- 73 de Mike N3LI -
Old June 9th 09, 08:09 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Jun 8, 8:39*pm, KC0YCS wrote:

Is this common 706 problem? i have heard it before

Dunno.. I know a lot of 706's are flaking out these days.
I bet the tiny caps in the circuits have a limited lifespan..
I know several personally that run 706's, and many of them
have flaked out recently and have had to go to the shop.
It's almost like they all decided to die at the same time.. :/
I bought mine new in 2001, so it's over 8 years old.

Old June 9th 09, 08:11 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Jun 8, 7:32*pm, Jim Lux wrote:

I use a Comet trunklip mount for the VHF/UHF whip. *If you adjust the
angle right, it clears the roof of the car when you open the trunk.
* CP-5NMO

http://www.cometantenna.com/products...D=9&childID=14

Yep, a friend of mine used a CP-5 on his Lincoln town car. Seemed to
work ok so far. That's probably what I will use if I ever get brave
enough
to try one.

Old June 11th 09, 06:02 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Michael Coslo wrote:
tom wrote:
Michael Coslo wrote:
[...]

I have a triple magnet and hamstick that has survived 70MPH and 50MPH
wind gusts with no problem. We get a lot of wind out here and it has
handled it all for the last 3 years.

Erich, N6FD DM15

Old June 11th 09, 04:06 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Erich wrote:

- 73 de Mike N3LI -

I have a triple magnet and hamstick that has survived 70MPH and 50MPH
wind gusts with no problem. We get a lot of wind out here and it has
handled it all for the last 3 years.

Well that is great, glad it hasn't been a problem, Erich. But I'd feel
pretty stupid to try that sort of mount again, unless someone wants to
front the 275 dollars I just paid to put a new window on. Then I might
experiment.

Could be a weak or otherwise bad magnet, maybe just bad luck-who knows?
But the antenna will now be mounted just like my Bugcatcher, which means
it will only come off if there is enough force to pull the back door
off, or otherwise destroy the antenna in situ.

- 73 de Mike N3LI -

Lesson plan for 9-11 David Shortwave 0 September 9th 06 09:14 PM
The REAL Lesson from Vietnam [email protected] Shortwave 0 December 7th 05 06:41 PM
The Lesson from Vietnam [email protected] Shortwave 0 November 23rd 05 02:38 AM
The Lesson from Vietnam [email protected] Shortwave 1 November 20th 05 12:41 AM
lesson on logic as pertaining to the E1 mike maghakian Shortwave 10 August 5th 05 02:58 AM