Old July 1st 09, 06:00 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Newbie Question

On Jun 29, 4:09 pm, pixel_a_ted
Any suggestions for improving AM reception would be greatly
appreciated.

___________

I have employed a certain technique with success. It takes a longwire
antenna, preferably strung high and clear. Bring the free end of the wire
into the house and wrap it around the radio about a dozen times and then
ground the end. You have wound a crude RF transformer. If you have hum or
buzzing, you may be able to cure it by repositioning the longwire.

You might not know how the rod antenna is mounted inside the case;
experiment to get the optimum improvement. In a radio with a big case, you
can locate the antenna rod with any remote control. Simply hold the remote
control at different places around the radio and press a button. Where the
remote makes the most noise, that's where the rod is. You can test a remote
for dead/alive this way, too.

I have also opened up a radio, wound a small coil (again, just a few turns)
around the antenna rod and brought the two ends out of the radio, grounding
one and connecting the other to the longwire antenna in para 1.

Properly employed, this absolutely works.

When I was in the Navy on a ship in Pearl Harbor, my longwire antenna was
the telephone wiring for the ship. I got a few clicks and pops from dialing
pulses, but I also got to listen to AM radio in my bunk. A small cap
isolated the phone's DC. On another ship, I had a single piece of hookup
wire that ran out on deck through a convenient door near my berthing
compartment and I wrapped it around some piping on deck. I was questioned
about it a few times, but I got to keep it. (It's good to be the Chief.)

Best ever was my office desk on the aircraft carrier Oriskany. I snaked a
coax cable up near the top of the island structure to the antenna patch
panel of the meteorologists. I shared their 35' whip through an SRA-12
band-splitting filter. (They never used the BCB outputs, anyway.) I
bummed my very own patch cord from the radiomen, coded it with yellow tape
and asked the meteorologists if they minded that I added a patch cord to
their patch panel. They didn't. (It's good to be the Chief.)

With the weather-guessers' whip, I got KNX-1070, Los Angeles between Hawaii
and Guam, about 3700 miles. (Wish I'd sent them a reception report but I
didn't; I called the bridge and got our LAT/LONG.)

Sal

Old July 1st 09, 08:37 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Thanks all for the comments and suggestions. I appreciate you taking
the time to answer.
Old July 2nd 09, 03:45 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Sal M. Onella wrote:
[...]

Even easier is using a flat piece of plastic sheet (from an old bleach
bottle or something similar) perhaps 1" x 3 or 4". Wind it full of
hookup wire held in place by duct tape. One end of the winding to
ground and the other to an end fed wire antenna which is highly unlikely
to be a longwire. Tune in a distant Medium Wave signal with the
built-in antenna then begin moving the new winding about on the back of
the radio's case until the signal peaks up. Either tape it in place or
use a couple of pieces of Velcro to attach it to the back of the receiver.

Dave K8MN
Old July 3rd 09, 10:27 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Bob wrote:
The display in my original CCRadio failed, too -- I sent it back to
the Crane folks and they put in a new display for $25, one that has
much better longevity, they say. Still going strong after several
years.

Out of the blue, I just received this email from C.Crane Co.

"I read online that you have a display problem with your CCRadio. Upon
looking into your account I can see it is a CCRadio Plus which is far
easier to put our newer display technology into than an original
CCRadio. In fact we can do this at no charge. We would only need you
to send the radio to us. We take care of shipping the radio back to
you. John Wilder, Customer/Product Support, C. Crane Company, Inc."
--
73, Cecil, IEEE, OOTC, http://www.w5dxp.com
Old July 4th 09, 03:11 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
tom tom is offline

Cecil Moore wrote:
Bob wrote:
The display in my original CCRadio failed, too -- I sent it back to
the Crane folks and they put in a new display for $25, one that has
much better longevity, they say. Still going strong after several
years.

Out of the blue, I just received this email from C.Crane Co.

"I read online that you have a display problem with your CCRadio. Upon
looking into your account I can see it is a CCRadio Plus which is far
easier to put our newer display technology into than an original
CCRadio. In fact we can do this at no charge. We would only need you
to send the radio to us. We take care of shipping the radio back to
you. John Wilder, Customer/Product Support, C. Crane Company, Inc."

WOW!

Now that's customer support.

I am officially impressed.

tom
K0TAR

Newbie question RHF Shortwave 1 November 21st 06 11:44 PM
Newbie Question Joseph Benson Scanner 1 February 4th 06 12:55 AM
Newbie question -- Probably first one ever Johnny Scanner 2 October 7th 04 02:23 AM
Newbie (More or Less) Question SubTropical Scanner 0 September 30th 04 03:13 AM
NEWBIE Question Greg Shortwave 7 November 1st 03 08:09 PM