Old September 11th 09, 04:41 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Question on re-radiated field

Can someone please confirm or deny the following arguments.

Let us have:

- a transmitting system operating at any given frequency
- and a metal bar, located far away from the transmitter, whose electrical
length is exactly half wavelength at the operating frequency.

An induced RF current will flow in the bar. Such RF current causes a re-radiated
field which adds up to the field generated by the trasmitter.

Two questions:

- which are the amplitude and phase shift of the re-radiated field with respect
to those of the field generated by the trasmitter? My instinctive answer would
be same amplitude (in absence of ohmic losses) and 180 degrees. The total field
(transmitted + re-radiated) at the metal bar would so be zero.

- how does the total field change moving away from the bar? I would say that
while the field generated by the transmitter varies very slowly with the
distance from the bar (the transmitter is assumed to be very far away), the
re-radiated field varies fast (also because one would initially be in the near
field). In conclusion, the more we move away from the bar, the lower is the
contribution of the re-radiated field to the total field. That should be the
reason why, in a Yagi antenna, a parasitic element cannot be put too far away
from the driven element.

Thanks and 73

Tony I0JX

Old September 11th 09, 06:56 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Antonio Vernucci" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Sounds about right. The electric field tangential to (i.e. parallel and
close to) the surface of a good conductor must be small, otherwise a current
would flow in the conductor which would tend to 'short out' the E-field, but
an electric field normal to a conducting surface can have any value ... of
course. A short conducting bar, rotating about an axis normal to its
length, can be used to measure the radiation pattern of a large antenna by
transmitting through the antenna and inspecting the signal reflected back
down its feeder.

Interestingly, even a matched dipole antenna re-radiates a signal - the
amount of power 'dissipated' in its radiation resistance. This is mentioned
in Kraus 'Antennas'.

Chris

Old September 11th 09, 07:07 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

[...]

sounds like you have the right instincts to me.

E-field probe question chuck Antenna 5 July 10th 06 12:46 AM
PSK31 on Field Day Question Da Shadow Digital 4 June 18th 04 07:10 PM
PSK31 on Field Day Question Da Shadow Digital 0 June 18th 04 05:32 PM
Question for Field Day - extended ops battery pack John Bartley I solved my XP problems w/ Service P Equipment 6 June 3rd 04 07:07 AM
Question for Field Day - extended ops battery pack John Bartley I solved my XP problems w/ Service P Equipment 0 June 3rd 04 12:49 AM