Old October 2nd 09, 11:35 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default EZNEC Ver3 Automatic Save

I have found that there is no such thing as "automatic save" unless you are
in LAST.EZ. If you want to take an existing named file and improve it - -
okay click on the file and work on the wires, transmission lines and
source tabulations, but be sure to SAVE AS and choose the same
filename and just replace it. If you don't, the file won't get updated. I
learned this after assuming opening a filename meant anything I would do
would be placed under that filename - - like it would if you were in WORD,
but no, it's not saved, and if you open another filename, the work you did
will be lost - - in my case, all 32 wires, 21 transmission lines and 2
sources to enter data for 2 designs - - and you'll have to do all of it over
again. I even printed out the description of the file - - it was all
there - - but the next time I went to look at it, it was back to the
previous file that the new design had been started with - - no update!

Roy, you may or you may not fix this - - I guess it's been this way for a
long time - - so you probably have your reasons. It's just that it's not
like WORD, and I feel WORD is a preferable model. Of course once you know
about the problem, I guess it's not a problem - - until you forget and lose
your work - - so I'm lighting the candle. I have never lost an update to a
WORD document. (You are prompted to save it, if any change has taken place).

Old October 3rd 09, 02:30 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Chuck Olson wrote:
[...]

Beginning with version 4.0, introduced more than 5 years ago, EZNEC
prompts you when you end the program or open a new file, asking whether
you want to save the current one, if the description has changed since
opening the file.

I won't be making any more changes to v. 3.0.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL
Old October 3rd 09, 03:52 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Roy Lewallen" wrote in message
Beginning with version 4.0, introduced more than 5 years ago, EZNEC
prompts you when you end the program or open a new file, asking whether
you want to save the current one, if the description has changed since
opening the file.

I won't be making any more changes to v. 3.0.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

Thank you for your quick response. I'm sorry I didn't check your website
first to find out how far behind times I had become. Your price on the new
Ver 5 is certainly attractive. But for now, I guess I'll be okay with what I
have. 73

Chuck Olson W6PKP

Old October 3rd 09, 02:45 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Chuck Olson wrote:
Roy, you may or you may not fix this - - I guess it's been this way for a
long time - - so you probably have your reasons.

I prefer EZNEC the way it is to an Automatic Save
to the original filename since that would wipe out
the pristine file one started with.

An improvement might be to ask the operator, upon
exit, if he/she wants to save the present file.
--
73, Cecil, IEEE, OOTC, http://www.w5dxp.com
Old October 3rd 09, 07:34 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Oct 3, 2:45*pm, Cecil Moore wrote:

An improvement might be to ask the operator, upon
exit, if he/she wants to save the present file.
--
73, Cecil, IEEE, OOTC, *http://www.w5dxp.com

That's the one that often bites me. Make some changes to a model, and
on exit you don't get prompted to save it. Next time you run EZ it's
there as LAST.EZ, but if you now open a new file you don't get
prompted to save LAST.EZ, so all gets lost. A prompt to save on exit
would be nice.

73,
Steve G3TXQ

Old October 3rd 09, 09:09 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Roy Lewallen wrote:
Beginning with version 4.0, introduced more than 5 years ago, EZNEC
prompts you when you end the program or open a new file, asking whether
you want to save the current one, if the description has changed since
opening the file.

My EZNEC+ 4.0.40 doesn't seem to do that.
--
73, Cecil, IEEE, OOTC, http://www.w5dxp.com
Old October 3rd 09, 09:20 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

steveeh131047 wrote:
That's the one that often bites me. Make some changes to a model, and
on exit you don't get prompted to save it. Next time you run EZ it's
there as LAST.EZ, but if you now open a new file you don't get
prompted to save LAST.EZ, so all gets lost. A prompt to save on exit
would be nice.

Maybe you got plonked by W7EL? :-) I did and my version of
EZNEC+ 4.0.40 doesn't perform as asserted by W7EL a few
postings ago.
--
73, Cecil, IEEE, OOTC, http://www.w5dxp.com
Old October 3rd 09, 09:44 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Mine's EZNEC+ v5.0.27

Steve G3TXQ

[help] eznec\4 pro zzl Antenna 4 July 10th 05 06:50 PM
EZNEC ARRL and EZNEC 4 Demo: Setting default folders Buck Antenna 2 June 16th 05 01:33 AM
HRD Ver3.2 released :') [email protected] Shortwave 0 May 14th 05 01:43 PM