Old October 20th 09, 01:29 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Antenna Pattern: Carolina Windom

On Oct 16, 2:28*pm, wrote:
Hi Steve,

Thanks for the azimuth plot. This was just what I was looking for.

It would be useful to have azimuth plots for 40 and 80 for this antenna;
if for nothing else than a starting point.

Rick
W9ZD

Rick,

On 80m it's almost omni-directional; worst-case eccentricity is around
4.5dB at 26 degrees elevation angle. The preferred directions are
broadside.

On 40m the pattern is more complex. At medium elevation angles (40-70
degrees) end-to-end is slightly better than broadside; at lower
elevation angles the pattern develops into 4 lobes NE/NW/SE/SW
(ssuming the antenna runs N-S)

Hope that helps,

Steve G3TXQ

Old October 22nd 09, 02:21 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

I have a Carolina Short 80 formerly called the Carolina 80 Beam up. Its been
up since about 1990 and is a good performer.

On 80 it does good off the ends but has a skewed figure 8. My antenna is
broadside N and S. K4UEE told me that from the Juan Fernandez operation a
few years back I was about the loudest on 75 SSB. I regularly worked EM1
from near the South pole with 9+ both ways. On 20 the pattern is still a
figure 8 but with a big lobe off the ends so I worked VK and ZL from Georgia
one year in the Oceania Contest.

I have two vertical short dipoles on 75 and 80 and another Carolina Short 80
broadside say NE/SW would probably do as good. To be really effective you
have to get it up at lesat 50 feet and higher is better!

My version of the Short 80 is only 84 feet horizontal.
I have the three vertical sections with the one at the feedpoint radiating.
The DMU matching 52 ohm coax to the 300 ohm point. The DMU also lets the
shield radiate. The 22 foot piece of coax teminates in a Line Isolator
balun to cut the radiation to the shack at that point.

Just wish Radio Works would fully explain the antenna. It is very difficult
to model but thanks to Dr. Dave then W0MHS (now W7FB) he ran it on his
mainframe modeling program. We never got NEC to show us anything beyond a
OCF windom model.

Dave K4JRB

Carolina Windom using 300 ohm ladderline john Wiener Antenna 10 September 11th 08 04:02 PM
FS: Carolina Windom 75 Meter Ant Tim Neff Swap 2 April 30th 06 02:39 PM
FA: Carolina Windom 160M Larry Wilson Swap 0 June 10th 05 09:31 PM
Carolina Windom jimbo Antenna 9 March 16th 05 01:38 PM
carolina windom vs dipole Thierry Antenna 27 September 20th 04 12:30 AM