Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old March 25th 04, 02:56 PM
Paul

Default coax end fed wire

Hello, I am looking to put up my first HF antenna. I have considered a
trap dipople in the attic, but seeing this is a one story house and
only 25 feet long it would only be about 15 feet off the ground and
more trap than radiator. I have also considered a mass produced
verticle to go on the existing tripod on the roof, but as I am
currently on medical leave it is not in the budget. My plan is to run
an approximately 80 foot wire from the existing tripod on top of the
house length wise accross the backyard to either a pole erected at the
fence line, or a tree on the other side of the fence line. My question
would be, can I feed this wire from 50 ohm coax at the house end? What
kind of matching network would be needed at the antenna? Would a
matching network be needed at the antenna, or can I use an antenna
tuner in the shack only? I am trying to avoid a center fed dipole, as
I would require a center strain relief pole in the center of the back
yard. This is a city lot, were the property is longer than it is wide.
Also, would a counterpoise be needed, and can you explain to me what a
counterpoise is, what it is made of, and it's purpose? Any suggestions
appreciated. Any pointing to further info is appreciated.
Thanks,
Paul