Old March 28th 04, 11:01 PM
Mark Keith

"John Smith" wrote in message ...
Can I use a long wire at 6m with a random wire antenna tuner?
The wire is about 1/4 mile long, and off the ground about 6 foot,
(old electrified fence line on top of a fence)
Any Idea what the pattern would be? or if it would work?

Thanks

Sure, it would *work*, but I would rather use something else. The size
of a yagi on 6m is not too big. "appx 9 ft or so elements on average".
I built one from all hard drawn copper tubing, and welded it all
together as one piece. "plumbers delight". I have a torch...
Probably cost me $20 in copper. It will probably smoke any random or
long wire. One reason is my 6m radio is a icom ic-706mk2g. It's prone
to HF images on 6m, if you use an antenna that provides a large HF
signal level in comparison to the 6m level. Trash city on any of my HF
antennas. But you get on the yagi, with it's fairly good attenuation
of HF signals, and it cleans it right up. Also, the beam is rotatable.
The wire would be stuck in 2 directions. Or one of two if you
terminated the antenna at an end.
You can try it, but plan on a beam if you really want decent
performance. A 6m beam is small enough to mount with TV hardware and
rotors. They are real light if you use aluminum. BTW, I'd skip the
simple dipoles and verticals also...Wimpy antennas on 6m compared to a
yagi or quad.... But also depends on the mode...I work mainly SSB in
the low end. A vertical or dipole will be trounced by my simple 3 el
yagi. Both transmit and receive. I can hear stuff on the beam that is
not there on a vertical or dipole. MK

Old March 29th 04, 12:21 AM
George

I seem to remember a few years back, a guy with a similar antenna used it as
a high gain end-fire on 2m EME. The moon didn't stay in the main lobe very
long, but when it was there he had a pretty good EME station!

George, K6GW

Old March 29th 04, 01:40 AM
Dale Parfitt

"George" wrote in message
ink.net...
I seem to remember a few years back, a guy with a similar antenna used it

as
a high gain end-fire on 2m EME. The moon didn't stay in the main lobe

very
long, but when it was there he had a pretty good EME station!

George, K6GW

I'd be very surprised if this really worked- the warm earth noise p/u from

a long wire would be horrendous, ruining the G/T. Perhaps you were thinking
of a terminated rhomboid?

Dale W4OP

Old March 29th 04, 04:43 AM
Tom Ring

Well I had some good typo and editing errors there. But I think the
message was still evident.

Rule #1 - don't edit a message more than once.

tom

Tom Ring wrote:

Enough so I don't have to model the obvious. I alpha tested 3 different
modeling programs for the author in the early 90's, currently own 5 if I
remember correctly, have modeled hundreds of yagis, built dozens, and
tons of other, non-yagi radiating structures. And designed and built
the highest gain 432 antenna ever tested at Central States VHF
Conference.

If most of the energy is going off the end(s), there can't be much left
to go off the sides, therefore it can't perform like a dipole off the
sides. Those little spikes are very misleading, and very narrow. Apply
an averaging function 2 or 3 degrees wide on the spikes and the nulls,
and you'll see a much truer picture.

The physics doesn't lie - antenna patterns are a have to add up to 100%
of the input power (ignoring losses). If, picking nice round numbers,
90% is in 5 degrees off the end, then only 10% is available for th.

tom
K0TAR

Richard Clark wrote:

On Sat, 27 Mar 2004 21:41:20 -0600, Tom Ring
wrote:

Nope, it will be much much less than dipole in almost every direction
except the direction of the wire. There is only so much energy to go
around, and most of it is going in the forward or forward/backward
directions, depending on termination of the wire.

"You cannu break the laws of physics, captain!" - Only a half wave
dipole will act like a half wave dipole.

tom

Hello Major Tom,

Count down, systems on. You haven't modeled have you?

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

Long Wire Balun Cecil Moore Antenna 16 February 25th 04 01:26 AM
Excessive RF Exposure from Long Wire? jj Antenna 22 February 13th 04 10:32 PM
randon wire newbie question lethal Antenna 4 February 7th 04 11:01 AM
Any Good Or Useful For Listening Only ?: WiNRADiO WR-LWA-0130 Long Wire Antenna Adapter Robert11 Antenna 1 November 6th 03 03:47 AM
Opinions please G5 against long wire against windom? Chris Bartlett Antenna 1 July 31st 03 11:15 PM