Old March 28th 04, 08:39 PM
Ralph Mowery

"Jim Weir" wrote in message
Why would you do that? Solid has less loss. If you are worried about it
flexing too much and work-hardening (or breaking) the center conductor,

use a
strain relief of shrink sleeving at both ends.

For less than 10 feet there is no noticable differance in the loss of a
solid vers stranded center conductor for the same size coax. When used for
jumpers that are going to be moved alot such as with a HT then the wire
will work harden and break.. Maybe in the middle and not at the very end
near the connector. More than likely it will be about 4 to 6 inches from
the HT end.

Old March 28th 04, 08:49 PM
CW

Yes.

"Richard Clark" wrote in message
On Sun, 28 Mar 2004 14:39:58 -0500, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:
then the wire will work harden and break

Copper?

Old March 28th 04, 10:52 PM
Gary S.

On Sun, 28 Mar 2004 19:33:36 GMT, Richard Clark
wrote:

C'mon, now guys, let's worry about what is likely to break, not about
everything that might fail. May as well take out an
asteroid-collision policy.

True.

But a couple of weeks ago, March 18th, an asteroid about 100 feet in
diameter missed the Earth by 26,500 miles.

Better pay up the premiums on that policy.

Happy trails,
Gary (net.yogi.bear)

Gary D. Schwartz, Needham, MA, USA
Old March 29th 04, 02:39 AM
Jerry Martes

Dustin

Or -- I have several BNC male to SMA male adapters that I dont consider to
be precious. I'm in the Los Angeles area. Digi-Key seems to have alot of
coax connectors, and adaptors

Jerry.

"Jim Weir" wrote in message
Use RG-174. Finding an inexpensive SMA connector for RG-58 is difficult.

Jim

"Dustin"

-Hello, I am going to be making some adaptor harnesses for my HT, they

are
-going to have a PL-259 on one end and a SMA male end on the other, my
-question is are the center conductor's inside the RG-58 and RG-174 the

same
-diameter because I see all the jumper harness's that are available
-commercially made of RG-174, but when I see DIY pages they are made of
-RG-58, and I just want to make sure. I read that RG-58 has alot less

loss
-and is cheaper. Thanks
-
-

Jim Weir, VP Eng. RST Eng. WX6RST
A&P, CFI, and other good alphabet soup

Old March 29th 04, 09:03 PM
Dave Platt

In article ,
Brian Kelly wrote:

This process can be reversed by annealing, but that's a bit tricky to
do if the copper is already part of a coaxial cable :-)

. . . no sweat, just run a 2M kilowatt thru the 174 and I guarantee
the center conductor will get "annealed" . .

Yeah, but once the annealing has been completed, I doubt that the
cable will still have a 50-ohm characteristic impedance ;-)

--
Dave Platt AE6EO
Old March 30th 04, 02:05 AM
Dave Holford

Jim Weir wrote:

Why would you do that? Solid has less loss. If you are worried about it
flexing too much and work-hardening (or breaking) the center conductor, use a
strain relief of shrink sleeving at both ends.

Jim

Use RG-58A or C
Stranded, flexible, used for test leads and jumpers for generations.

Loss difference over a foot or so of jumper between even RG-174 and
hardline is insignificant assuming you are not running a microwave HT.
Even at 1GHz it won't amount to much.

Dave