Old February 12th 10, 04:14 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default quad spreader material?

I'm thinking of building a 3 element 20 meter quad (full size)
and I'm stuck on the spreaders. Many people use bamboo
or aluminum with insulators at the tips. Can anyone suggest
alternatives....hopefully inexpensive, common materials?
TIA
Steve

Old February 12th 10, 07:00 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Feb 12, 10:14*am, "Steve" wrote:
Can anyone suggest alternatives...

I use fiberglass poles and rods for a number of non-conductive
applications including quads. Here's one supplier in Ohio.

http://www.tencom.com/02/index.htm

I had one supplier in Houston, but I don't remember the company name.
Fiberglass rods and poles were available in 40 foot lengths. Fishing
rods make almost any kind of quad spreader that you might desire.
--
73, Cecil, w5dxp.com
Old February 14th 10, 07:40 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 08:14:44 -0800, "Steve" wrote:

I'm thinking of building a 3 element 20 meter quad (full size)
and I'm stuck on the spreaders. Many people use bamboo
or aluminum with insulators at the tips. Can anyone suggest
alternatives....hopefully inexpensive, common materials?
TIA
Steve

PVC pipe? Probably too heavy and too easy.

Maybe vinyl tubing or thin wall pipe. For stiffness, fill the tubing
with expanding foam urethane fence post compount, cement, or epoxy.

Perhaps an inflatable antenna using rolled vinyl tubing for the
structural elements? Just get a sheet of thin vinyl tubing, or heat
seal packing material, some glue, a hot wire sealing contrivance, and
build the quad.
http://www.uline.com/BL_2107/4-Mil-Poly-Tubing
The connecting wires will provide the required dimensional stability
(assuming they don't stretch under tension). Obviously, this would
not be a permanent installation. Something like this with a different
arrangement of supports:
http://www.china-inflatable.com/products/sports/T11-364.htm

Incidentally, there's no reason that the quad has to be square shaped.
The quad can be circular. A large round cardboard cylinder, with the
wire elements wrapped around the outside should work. Be sure to add
a tail so that it doubles as a wind vane.

You can also build an inflatable tower to support your quad:
http://towers.ltaprojects.com/LTA_Towers/LTA_Tower_Home.html

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old February 15th 10, 03:09 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

In article ,
Jeff Liebermann wrote:

I'm thinking of building a 3 element 20 meter quad (full size)
and I'm stuck on the spreaders. Many people use bamboo
or aluminum with insulators at the tips. Can anyone suggest
alternatives....hopefully inexpensive, common materials?
TIA
Steve

PVC pipe? Probably too heavy and too easy.

Tends to bend pretty easily under sidewise stress (including gravity).
Unless you fix the end of the spreader to the wire element so that the
wire takes up the bending stress, you'd find a PVC-based 20-meter quad
starting to sag badly quite quickly, I'd think.

Also, much standard PVC tubing doesn't stand up to sunlight very well.

Maybe vinyl tubing or thin wall pipe. For stiffness, fill the tubing
with expanding foam urethane fence post compount, cement, or epoxy.

I'd be concerned about the weight of the filling.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO
Old February 15th 10, 04:55 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Sun, 14 Feb 2010 19:09:32 -0800, (Dave Platt)
wrote:

In article ,
Jeff Liebermann wrote:

I'm thinking of building a 3 element 20 meter quad (full size)
and I'm stuck on the spreaders. Many people use bamboo
or aluminum with insulators at the tips. Can anyone suggest
alternatives....hopefully inexpensive, common materials?
TIA
Steve

PVC pipe? Probably too heavy and too easy.

Tends to bend pretty easily under sidewise stress (including gravity).
Unless you fix the end of the spreader to the wire element so that the
wire takes up the bending stress, you'd find a PVC-based 20-meter quad
starting to sag badly quite quickly, I'd think.

I've seen plans for PVC structures that have two different methods of
stiffening. One is to run fiberglass rope inside to a pair of eye
bolts. The threaded part of the eye bolts goes through a hole drilled
into the end caps. A nut at each end tightens the fiberglass rope.
Ordinary rope can be used but it tends to stretch and absorb water.
Once tightened, the PVC pipe is substantially more rigid.

Another method is to build a cross braced 3D structure. For a 2
element quad, that would be a box. Suitable end caps can be bought or
fabricated out of block of plastic (or a mess of PVC adapters).
Putting the box under tension between opposite end points should be
sufficient to provide structural stiffness.

Also, much standard PVC tubing doesn't stand up to sunlight very well.

True. Per the advice of Dr Barry Ornitz, spraying the PVC with Krylon
acrylic clear plastic spray is sufficient to protect the PVC (and any
electrical tape wrapped around the connectors) from UV embrittlement.
However, the really good stuff has been recalled:
http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml09/09036.html

Maybe vinyl tubing or thin wall pipe. For stiffness, fill the tubing
with expanding foam urethane fence post compount, cement, or epoxy.

I'd be concerned about the weight of the filling.

Ok, forget the concrete antenna spreaders.

Aluminum spreader quad JIMMIE Antenna 10 August 20th 09 11:04 AM
aluminum spreader quad Cyclone651 Antenna 0 August 17th 09 01:50 PM
WANT : large QUAD hubs for 40m QUAD Josh Swap 0 September 27th 04 10:15 PM
FA"SPREADER + MANY OTHER PARTS Heytubeguy Equipment 0 April 6th 04 08:31 PM
FA"SPREADER + MANY OTHER PARTS Heytubeguy Equipment 0 April 6th 04 08:31 PM