Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Old August 15th 09, 08:11 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by RadioBanter: Jul 2006
Posts: 625
Default Aluminum spreader quad

I was talking with some guys this AM about building a quad antenna
using aluminum spreaders. I know that it at least the tips of the
spreaders would have to be made of insulating material such a
fiberglass but the consensus seemed to be that most of the spreaders
should be non-metalic. I was wondering if anyone here had built a quad
with almost all of the spreaders made of metal and what was the
results.

Jimmie

  #2   Report Post  
Old August 15th 09, 09:30 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by RadioBanter: Aug 2006
Posts: 20
Default Aluminum spreader quad


"JIMMIE" wrote in message
...
I was talking with some guys this AM about building a quad antenna
using aluminum spreaders. I know that it at least the tips of the
spreaders would have to be made of insulating material such a
fiberglass but the consensus seemed to be that most of the spreaders
should be non-metalic. I was wondering if anyone here had built a quad
with almost all of the spreaders made of metal and what was the
results.

Jimmie


A few years ago, I had a Hygain 3-band quad with aluminum spreaders.

"Strategically placed" insulating rods divided the spreaders into
non-resonant, neutral segments.



Philo


  #3   Report Post  
Old August 16th 09, 12:41 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by RadioBanter: Jul 2006
Posts: 625
Default Aluminum spreader quad

On Aug 15, 4:30*pm, "Philo" wrote:
"JIMMIE" wrote in message

...

I was talking with some guys this AM about building a quad antenna
using aluminum spreaders. I know that it at least the tips of the
spreaders would have to be made of insulating material such a
fiberglass but the consensus seemed to be that most of the spreaders
should be non-metalic. I was wondering if anyone here had built a quad
with almost all of the spreaders made of metal and what was the
results.


Jimmie


A few years ago, I had a Hygain 3-band quad with aluminum spreaders.

"Strategically placed" insulating rods divided the spreaders into
non-resonant, neutral segments.

Philo


I was thinking about a single band quad. I figured that on a single
band quad the length of the spreader would be either 1.414 or .707
(depending on how you see this) times the lenght of one side of the
quad. I dont think this would be close to being resonant.

Jimmie
  #4   Report Post  
Old August 16th 09, 02:54 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by RadioBanter: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,521
Default Aluminum spreader quad

JIMMIE wrote:
I was thinking about a single band quad. I figured that on a single
band quad the length of the spreader would be either 1.414 or .707
(depending on how you see this) times the lenght of one side of the
quad. I dont think this would be close to being resonant.


Are the two 0.35WL spreaders shorted together in the center
or are there four 0.175WL spreaders insulated in the center?
Seems to me, this could easily be modeled using EZNEC.
I've never done it but I'll bet others have.
--
73, Cecil, IEEE, OOTC, http://www.w5dxp.com
  #5   Report Post  
Old August 16th 09, 03:12 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by RadioBanter: Jul 2006
Posts: 625
Default Aluminum spreader quad

On Aug 16, 9:54*am, Cecil Moore wrote:
JIMMIE wrote:
I was thinking about a single band quad. I figured that on a single
band quad the length of the spreader would be either 1.414 or .707
(depending on how you *see this) times the lenght of one side of the
quad. I dont think this would be close to being resonant.


Are the two 0.35WL spreaders shorted together in the center
or are there four 0.175WL spreaders insulated in the center?
Seems to me, this could easily be modeled using EZNEC.
I've never done it but I'll bet others have.
--
73, Cecil, IEEE, OOTC, *http://www.w5dxp.com


Haven't tried to build it yet, just kicking around the idea since I
have the aluminum and not the fiberglass.

Jimmie


  #6   Report Post  
Old August 17th 09, 12:13 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by RadioBanter: Nov 2006
Posts: 85
Default Aluminum spreader quad

Hi Jimmie

Some years ago I made a 3 el 10M quad that was actually a bow tie
arrangement. ie the spreaders were "driven" and the side "elements" were
rope.

Probably not what you are thinking about but it did look like a 3 el 20m
quad! I should have modeled it in later years but never got around to
it. It worked okay at the time but I wasnt exactly doing any extensive
testing.

Does modeling the metal spreaders give you any ideas?

Cheers Bob

JIMMIE wrote:
I was talking with some guys this AM about building a quad antenna
using aluminum spreaders. I know that it at least the tips of the
spreaders would have to be made of insulating material such a
fiberglass but the consensus seemed to be that most of the spreaders
should be non-metalic. I was wondering if anyone here had built a quad
with almost all of the spreaders made of metal and what was the
results.

Jimmie

  #7   Report Post  
Old August 17th 09, 05:48 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by RadioBanter: Jul 2006
Posts: 625
Default Aluminum spreader quad

On Aug 16, 7:13*pm, Bob Bob wrote:
Hi Jimmie

Some years ago I made a 3 el 10M quad that was actually a bow tie
arrangement. ie the spreaders were "driven" and the side "elements" were
rope.

Probably not what you are thinking about but it did look like a 3 el 20m
quad! I should have modeled it in later years but never got around to
it. It worked okay at the time but I wasnt exactly doing any extensive
testing.

Does modeling the metal spreaders give you any ideas?

Cheers Bob

JIMMIE wrote:
I was talking with some guys this AM about building a quad antenna
using aluminum spreaders. I know that it at least the tips of the
spreaders would have to be made of insulating material such a
fiberglass but the consensus seemed to be that most of the spreaders
should be non-metalic. I was wondering if anyone here had built a quad
with almost all of the spreaders made of metal and what was the
results.


Jimmie


Ive never really gotten in to modeling antennas that much. Ill
probably just build something and see what happens.

Jimmie
  #8   Report Post  
Old August 18th 09, 03:22 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by RadioBanter: Jul 2006
Posts: 625
Default Aluminum spreader quad

On Aug 17, 12:48*am, JIMMIE wrote:
On Aug 16, 7:13*pm, Bob Bob wrote:



Hi Jimmie


Some years ago I made a 3 el 10M quad that was actually a bow tie
arrangement. ie the spreaders were "driven" and the side "elements" were
rope.


Probably not what you are thinking about but it did look like a 3 el 20m
quad! I should have modeled it in later years but never got around to
it. It worked okay at the time but I wasnt exactly doing any extensive
testing.


Does modeling the metal spreaders give you any ideas?


Cheers Bob


JIMMIE wrote:
I was talking with some guys this AM about building a quad antenna
using aluminum spreaders. I know that it at least the tips of the
spreaders would have to be made of insulating material such a
fiberglass but the consensus seemed to be that most of the spreaders
should be non-metalic. I was wondering if anyone here had built a quad
with almost all of the spreaders made of metal and what was the
results.


Jimmie


Ive never really gotten in to modeling antennas that much. Ill
probably just build something and see what happens.

Jimmie


I slid Al tubing over the supports for my two meter quad except for
the last two inches toward the tip and I cant tell any difference in
operation VSWR is the same. AGC voltage on my receiver is the same as
usual for a local repeater. Whether or not the boom ends of the tubing
were connected together also had no discernible effect.

Jimmie
  #9   Report Post  
Old August 19th 09, 07:11 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by RadioBanter: Mar 2009
Posts: 14
Default Aluminum spreader quad

There is an article in QST april 1992 about building a 5 band 2 element quad
with aluminum tubing KC6T is the one who built it. It also is in 2007 ARRL
Handbook. Shows & describes how the spreders are built with dinensions....
"JIMMIE" wrote in message
...
I was talking with some guys this AM about building a quad antenna
using aluminum spreaders. I know that it at least the tips of the
spreaders would have to be made of insulating material such a
fiberglass but the consensus seemed to be that most of the spreaders
should be non-metalic. I was wondering if anyone here had built a quad
with almost all of the spreaders made of metal and what was the
results.

Jimmie



  #10   Report Post  
Old August 19th 09, 07:26 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by RadioBanter: Jul 2006
Posts: 625
Default Aluminum spreader quad

On Aug 19, 2:11*am, "Howard K0ACF" wrote:
There is an article in QST april 1992 about building a 5 band 2 element quad
with aluminum tubing KC6T is the one who built it. It also is in 2007 ARRL
Handbook. Shows & describes how the spreders are built with dinensions....."JIMMIE" wrote in message

...



I was talking with some guys this AM about building a quad antenna
using aluminum spreaders. I know that it at least the tips of the
spreaders would have to be made of insulating material such a
fiberglass but the consensus seemed to be that most of the spreaders
should be non-metalic. I was wondering if anyone here had built a quad
with almost all of the spreaders made of metal and what was the
results.


Jimmie- Hide quoted text -


- Show quoted text -


Thanks, I ll see if I can pull that up in the QST archives. I may even
have that handbook.

Jimmie


Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Aluminum can eclosure Ceriel Nosforit Homebrew 8 February 4th 07 05:23 AM
WANT : large QUAD hubs for 40m QUAD Josh Swap 0 September 27th 04 10:15 PM
FA"SPREADER + MANY OTHER PARTS Heytubeguy Equipment 0 April 6th 04 08:31 PM
FA"SPREADER + MANY OTHER PARTS Heytubeguy Equipment 0 April 6th 04 08:31 PM
Want Aluminum towers, etc DOUGLAS SNOWDEN Antenna 0 July 14th 03 12:39 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:02 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2017 RadioBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Radio"

 

Copyright © 2017