Old April 17th 10, 04:53 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Cophasing Two Full-Wave Loops?

On Sat, 17 Apr 2010 05:06:42 -0700 (PDT), WA2SI
wrote:

Visualize, if
you will, two wire Christmas tree shaped wire loops, 90 degrees from
one another, fed at the center of their bottom legs up abt 30'.

Hi Bert,

This is the design of Bellini and Tosi of 105 years ago. They fed it
through a goniometer so they could steer the beam angle. At the time
they were unconcerned with load Z as you could tune the final and
drive to accomodate that.

Some might say, "why not just mount a vertical?" Well, I have the 2:1
balun and I figured that the loop would be much quieter.

I'm not sure how you have come up with, or plan to come up with a 2:1
BalUn - not very common, and construction details may ruin
expectations for performance.

As for "quieter," that is a very common myth = t'ain't so.

As for other details, you only roughly describe the length of wire
involved (in only one dimension) and you say nothing of frequency -
except by inference in the 80M band. Such details impact Z
considerably if you want someone to supply you with that
characteristic.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC
Old April 18th 10, 02:22 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Apr 17, 11:53*am, Richard Clark wrote:
I'm not sure how you have come up with, or plan to come up with a 2:1
BalUn - not very common, and construction details may ruin
expectations for performance.

I already have the 2:1 BalUn on hand. It is a Balun Designs offering.
The link is supplied below.

http://www.balundesigns.com/servlet/...uns/Categories

As for "quieter," that is a very common myth = t'ain't so.

Drats! I suppose I'll just have to hope for the best.

As for other details, you only roughly describe the length of wire
involved (in only one dimension) and you say nothing of frequency -
except by inference in the 80M band. *Such details impact Z
considerably if you want someone to supply you with that
characteristic.

I want this to be a 10m semi-omnidirectional antenna. (Clover leaf
pattern I'd guess. Omni enough fo me.) My reference to 80m was just a
passing statement re. my schedule. Take care es...

Vy 73 de Bert
WA2SI
Old April 18th 10, 07:24 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Apr 17, 7:06*am, WA2SI wrote:

Yes, the goal is a single band, quiet and
physically unobtrusive single-band omni-directional. (Or at least
somewhat omni-directional without being a cloudburner.) Visualize, if
you will, two wire Christmas tree shaped wire loops, 90 degrees from
one another, fed at the center of their bottom legs up abt 30'.

If I'm understanding this, what you are proposing would actually be
horizontally polarized, not vertical.
I imagine the triangle shape distorts things, but in general if you
feed a loop at either the top or the bottom, it will be horizontal.
You want to feed from one of the sides for it to be vertical.
Which calls for a square for most people..
Actually, what you want to build is very common. Most refer
to them as an "eggbeater". The usual method of feeding the
elements is 90 degrees out of phase if I remember right.
That gives the most omnidirectional pattern.

Some might say, "why not just mount a vertical?" Well, I have the 2:1
balun and I figured that the loop would be much quieter.

As Richard mentioned, this is fiction. All antennas receive noise.
How much you receive depends on the polarity of the antenna, the
noise source, and the efficiency of the system. It's quite possible
for
the horizontal antenna to receive the most noise if the noise is
radiated from a horizontal source. It's possible for an antenna to be
very "quiet" if it's very inefficient. Actually, if I notice an
antenna that is
too "quiet" I start to wonder what the heck is wrong with it.. :/
Noisy is good. Maybe not the noise itself, but that you receive it
well is good. You don't want it any other way, unless maybe you
are a proponent of the Unwintennas which tend to be air cooled
dummy loads..

A good elevated vertical is actually a very good 10m antenna.
It's good for DX, but it's also good for space wave coverage to
locals.

Old April 18th 10, 05:04 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On 17 abr, 14:06, WA2SI wrote:
On Apr 13, 1:36*pm, Richard Clark wrote:

As there are so many details of construction are missing, little more
can be said, and our original poster appears to have gotten bored with
the topic.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

Hello agn, everybody:

My apologies to you all. No, I have not gotten bored with this topic.
My job has rotating schedules as well as mandatory overtime.
Unfortunately, when one gets "stuck" for o/t, it's usually for an
entire extra 8-1/2 tour. When I finally get home, (A nice hike, btw!)
I either attend to my familial obligations or just crash. I did manage
to work a 5R8 station on the bottom of 80 so all was not lost - hihi.

I was thinking of making use of some unused space on my 50' fiberglass
mast by mounting a 2:1 balun and having two 10m vertically polarized
delta loops sharing the same feed points, specifically the
aforementioned balun. Yes, the goal is a single band, quiet and
physically unobtrusive single-band omni-directional. (Or at least
somewhat omni-directional without being a cloudburner.) Visualize, if
you will, two wire Christmas tree shaped wire loops, 90 degrees from
one another, fed at the center of their bottom legs up abt 30'.

Some might say, "why not just mount a vertical?" Well, I have the 2:1
balun and I figured that the loop would be much quieter.

Thanks so much for all your responses and have a safe and wonderful
weekend. Take care es...

Vy 73 de Bert,
WA2SI

Hello Bert,

When it is quieter and isn't a dummy load, it is more or less a
cloudburner. The reason for more noise is mostly caused by less
elevation of the main lobe due to the interference from the ground
reflection. This is what you want for line-of-sight and DX.

The vertical is a good option for sky wave and line-of-sight. When
you make it electrically a half wave, requirements for ground are very
limited. The only disadvantage is the matching section as the
impedance at half wave resonance is rather high (up to 1 kOhm for thin
conductors). When you run high power, you have to evaluate your
construction for corona discharge.

Maybe you can use parts from CB antennas.

Best regards,

Wim
PA3DJS
www.tetech.nl
in case of PM, please don't forget to remove abc