Old April 9th 10, 02:00 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default HY-Gain Trap Orientation th5mk2

I am installing a used Hy-Gain th5mk2 tribander.
A previous owner added screws on some of the elements at the
boom to element clamp and between element sections.
This is not mentioned in the manual.

Unfortunately whoever added the screws forgot to make sure
the trap assembly drain holes point down. They are up to
20 or so degrees from straight down. Is this good enough
or would it be better to remove the screws so the traps can
be adjusted with the drain holes down?
Old April 9th 10, 02:55 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Thu, 08 Apr 2010 20:00:44 -0500, Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX N2469R
wrote:

Is this good enough
or would it be better to remove the screws so the traps can
be adjusted with the drain holes down?

Hi Chuck,

You could drill drain holes too.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC
Old April 16th 10, 08:57 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Apr 8, 6:00*pm, Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX N2469R wrote:
I am installing a used Hy-Gain th5mk2 tribander.
A previous owner added screws on some of the elements at the
boom to element clamp and between element sections.
This is not mentioned in the manual.

Unfortunately whoever added the screws forgot to make sure
the trap assembly drain holes point down. *They are up to
20 or so degrees from straight down. *Is this good enough
or would it be better to remove the screws so the traps can
be adjusted with the drain holes down?

Previous probably lived in a desert without rain/snow. If twere mine,I
would disassemble and set the traps so the holes are at the bottom
when the antenna is installed.

Most probably the antenna was on a tilting tower and was assembled
with the tower that way. Holes were down at that time! If you are
going to use screws again, the correct method is to drill the outside
tube, deburr it, assemble the way you want it, and then use an ice
pick or similar to punch a starting hole in the inner tubing and then
run the screw in. Much better holding power. If a pilot hole is
drilled in both tubes, together, wind vibration will enlarge the hole
and work the screw loose.

Paul, KD7HB
Old July 8th 10, 09:21 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

wrote:

I am installing a used Hy-Gain th5mk2 tribander.
A previous owner added screws on some of the elements at the
boom to element clamp and between element sections.
This is not mentioned in the manual.

Unfortunately whoever added the screws forgot to make sure
the trap assembly drain holes point down. They are up to
20 or so degrees from straight down. Is this good enough
or would it be better to remove the screws so the traps can
be adjusted with the drain holes down?

I've used a TH-5 for quite a few years. The drain holes should be
down, but if they are no more than 20 degrees off if the disassembly
is difficult as it sounds, I'd simply drill additional drain holes
that would point straight down. The two sets of holes would probably
drain better any way instead of the meniscus stopping the drainage.
Just make sure the new holes are no larger than the old ones. It does
no good to get better drainage if the critters are going to move in.
The drain hole in the matching network for my AV-640 was large enough
for a paper wasp to get in. The virtually packed it with nests. 800
watts on 6 with a KW on HF was enough to thoroughly cook the critters
and mess up the matching.
http://www.rogerhalstead.com/ham_files/AV-640/AV640.htm

The AV-640 is a good antenna. I've been working world wide using it on
40 since mid winter. It leaves a bit to be desired on 6, but I'm used
to a 7L Yagi on a 30' boom at 115'.

73

Roger (K8RI)