Old April 12th 10, 10:03 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Magnetic Loop Antenna Question

I am in the process of building a magnetic loop antenna. I have a roll of
1/2 inch
flexible copper tubing. I would like to increase the effective tubing size
by silver
soldering a second loop of equal size to the first loop -- point for point.
Would
it make any substantial difference if I just tacked the two together at a
number
of points, say every 45 degrees or so, or would it be better to solder them
together through the entire circumference?

The loop will be run HF QRP, with a maximum power of five watts,

Thanks in advance for any advice on this matter.

Irv VE6BP

Old April 12th 10, 10:31 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Irv Finkleman wrote:
I am in the process of building a magnetic loop antenna. I have a roll of
1/2 inch
flexible copper tubing. I would like to increase the effective tubing size
by silver
soldering a second loop of equal size to the first loop -- point for point.
Would
it make any substantial difference if I just tacked the two together at a
number
of points, say every 45 degrees or so, or would it be better to solder them
together through the entire circumference?

The loop will be run HF QRP, with a maximum power of five watts,

Thanks in advance for any advice on this matter.

Irv VE6BP

If you're careful to keep them nearly exactly the same length (that is,
put them side by side rather than one inside the other), I think you'll
get by ok by soldering in a few places. I recommend including soldering
at the ends, or near where you make feed or loading component connections.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL
Old April 12th 10, 10:44 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On 12 abr, 23:03, "Irv Finkleman" wrote:
I am in the process of building a magnetic loop antenna. I have a roll of
1/2 inch
flexible copper tubing. I would like to increase the effective tubing size
by silver
soldering a second loop of equal size to the first loop -- point for point.
Would
it make any substantial difference if I just tacked the two together at a
number
of points, say every 45 degrees or so, or would it be better to solder them
together through the entire circumference?

The loop will be run HF QRP, with a maximum power of five watts,

Thanks in advance for any advice on this matter.

Irv VE6BP

Hello Irv,

As Roy also said, when they have the same size (diameter, shape and
length), some points are sufficient (electrically soldering just the
ends is sufficient). Limit the number soldering points to what is
good for mechanical stability.

Use copper or plastic mounting hardware. Resistive materials (steel,
stainless, etc) that are in the field (close to the copper tubing)
reduce efficiency.

Best regards and let your waves hit the sky,

wim
PA3DJS
www.tetech.nl
remove abc first in case of PM.