Old May 22nd 10, 01:37 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Replacement for W9INN Center Connector

My 40/80 (modified for extra bands) W9INN dipole is getting old and I
need to replace the center connector. I am not sure what Bill W9INN
used for the center connector but it looks like a W2AU 1:1 balun.

Can someone verify what Bill used and recommend a replacement.

Dick AA5VU

W9INN (SK) is missed!
Old May 24th 10, 06:47 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Dick,

Any decent balun built into a center connector is OK. W2AU or Radio Works
are examples. You can even use the budwing center connector plus a separate
balun.

Dave K4JRB

Old May 26th 10, 09:10 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

In article ,
"David Thompson" wrote:

Dick,

Any decent balun built into a center connector is OK. W2AU or Radio Works
are examples. You can even use the budwing center connector plus a separate
balun.

Dave K4JRB

Thanks but my last balun was tossed in the Atlantic Ocean in 1979 and I
will never (ever) use another one. Bill, W9INN, used a center connector
that looked like the W2AU balun in in antennas.

I worry that the W2AU may be more than a center conductor
Old June 4th 10, 05:31 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

This posting is more of an update. I pulled the old W9INN down for
inspection and found a crack in the PVC. It was interesting to note the
imprint on the top of the center conductor (not a balun) says W2AU;
however, it does not look like a W2AU on any web page. It has ground
strap running from top to bottom. To make a long story short, the
crack in top of the device was easily repaired using PVC cement and
it passed all continuity tests. It is back in place and working FB.
Old June 6th 10, 11:48 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On 6/4/2010 12:31 PM, aRKay wrote:
This posting is more of an update. I pulled the old W9INN down for
inspection and found a crack in the PVC. It was interesting to note the
imprint on the top of the center conductor (not a balun) says W2AU;
however, it does not look like a W2AU on any web page. It has ground
strap running from top to bottom. To make a long story short, the
crack in top of the device was easily repaired using PVC cement and
it passed all continuity tests. It is back in place and working FB.

That was the old or original style of the W2AU center insulator. You
could get with or without a balun inside. The strap was to provide a way
to ground the shield of the coax for lighting protection via the hanging
eyelet. I remember them from the seventies as a common connection method.

John W3JXP

Old June 8th 10, 04:52 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

In article ,
John Passaneau wrote:

On 6/4/2010 12:31 PM, aRKay wrote:
This posting is more of an update. I pulled the old W9INN down for
inspection and found a crack in the PVC. It was interesting to note the
imprint on the top of the center conductor (not a balun) says W2AU;
however, it does not look like a W2AU on any web page. It has ground
strap running from top to bottom. To make a long story short, the
crack in top of the device was easily repaired using PVC cement and
it passed all continuity tests. It is back in place and working FB.

That was the old or original style of the W2AU center insulator. You
could get with or without a balun inside. The strap was to provide a way
to ground the shield of the coax for lighting protection via the hanging
eyelet. I remember them from the seventies as a common connection method.

John W3JXP

John,

Thank you for the clarification.

Too bad it is no longer available. I think the current W2AU is a true
balun rather than a center insulator. I never used the strap for
lightning protection.

The last balun I owned or used was tossed in the Atlantic Ocean on
1980 and I have never used one since then. I will have to live
with my repaired W9INN center insulator.

Dick AA5VU