Old May 11th 06, 01:47 AM posted to rec.radio.scanner
John

Default Bearcat 800xlt - what type of connector for the external antenna connector

The 800xlt has a female connector on the back that is labeled "ext ant" -
that is about 3/8 " diameter and about 3/4" deep with a center hole about
1/8" diameter. Looks like it would take some sort of friction fit male
connector.

I can't seem to find exactly what kind of connector this is or what will fit
this. I have a scanner antenna that has the connector cut off the end of
the cable - looks like the cable is RG-58 or close to that - with the
braided metal and a center solid wire. I went to Radio Shack with the
scanner - everyone scratched their head - one guy said he thinks it's a
"motorola" connector ??

Anybody know the name of this type of connector?

John

Old May 11th 06, 04:30 AM posted to rec.radio.scanner
wbertram

It is most likely that this is a connector type typically used for
automobile radio antennas. It is known as a "Motorola" connector. I
had an older scanner with a similar connector. Radio Shack used to
carry adapters to convert to more common antenna connectors. I don't
know if they still do. If not RS, you could do a web search, or try
some of the online radio dealers.

www.universalradio.com shows 'Motorola male-to-BNC' and 'Motorola
male-to-BNC' adapters, part numbers 1455 and 4650, respectively.

Old May 11th 06, 04:33 AM posted to rec.radio.scanner
wbertram

corrected copy:
www.universalradio.com shows 'Motorola male-to-BNC' and 'Motorola
male-to-UHF' adapters, part numbers 1455 and 4650, respectively.

Old May 11th 06, 05:18 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner
PowerHouse Communications

"John" wrote in message
The 800xlt has a female connector on the back that is labeled "ext ant" -
that is about 3/8 " diameter and about 3/4" deep with a center hole about
1/8" diameter. Looks like it would take some sort of friction fit male
connector.

I can't seem to find exactly what kind of connector this is or what will

fit
this. I have a scanner antenna that has the connector cut off the end of
the cable - looks like the cable is RG-58 or close to that - with the
braided metal and a center solid wire. I went to Radio Shack with the
scanner - everyone scratched their head - one guy said he thinks it's a
"motorola" connector ??

Anybody know the name of this type of connector?

Answered in ALT.RADIO.SCANNER

Might be wise to "cross-post" in the future, as opposed to posting
separately in each group..

Old May 13th 06, 01:36 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner
PowerHouse Communications

According to your headers, it appears you are using Outlook Express as your
newsreader. Cross-posting is fairly easy with this. When you have the
towards the top you will have a few (4 for basic headers), titled "News
Server:", "Newsgroups:" (with a folder icon next to it), "Cc:" (with a book
next to it,) and "Subject:". If you are reading a group, or reply to a
message, your current Newsgroup is probably pre-filled on the line for you.
To cross post, you would add more groups to this line, separated by commas.
The easiest way to do this is to click the word "Newsgroups". It will bring
up a list of your currently subscribed newsgroups to choose form. Select
all that you want your current message to be posted to.

This is a good method for a few reasons, the best being that it won't waist
as much storage space on the hosting servers, as all groups will have the
"same" message (with headers pointing to each group) as opposed to have
"separate" messages (of the same content) in each group (i.e. 1 message
cross-posted to 5 groups as opposed to 5 identical messages posted to 5
groups.)

People will say that this is trivial in this day and age with all the mass
storage most service providers have, but I say it is still a good idea to do
just the same. If everybody posted separate messages, things would
"fill-up" that much faster.

Hopefully you can understand that...
PH

Old May 15th 06, 11:12 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner
Hunchy

John:

Did you ever get an answer to this? This is very common adaptor/connector.

The guy who said "Motorola" was right.

If you need one of these adaptors, let me know. I'll ship you one.

73,

John

Outside Antenna Rikk Shortwave 25 March 6th 06 06:53 PM
The "Almost" Delta Loop Antenna for Limited Space Shortwave Listening (SWL) made from TV 'type' Parts RHF Shortwave 0 October 16th 05 12:34 PM
LongWire Antenna Jim B Shortwave 5 March 2nd 04 09:36 AM