Old June 4th 10, 10:20 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Plate Resistance

On Fri, 4 Jun 2010 11:11:02 -0700 (PDT), walt wrote:

Although Rp is definitely a factor in determining the value of load
resistance RL, it is by no means the total source resistance RL, as
others have insisted.

Hi Walt,

Do you have other Data to replace into your copy of Terman's equation?
I got the impression you were satisfied with his work and his
conclusions. Myself, I would say Terman's are suitable but incomplete
and additional data wouldn't change anything as he presented a classic
case.

Hemenway, Henry, and Caulton go miles beyond merely suggesting that
there are partial derivative forms (you can choose to offer your own
from Terman if you can find them), and they give the full treatment
from soup to nuts in chapters outside of the one I have distributed.

As for the comparison of Rp to RL, yes, it is not complete and in fact
although they closely agree, that is only a first cut. Refinement may
go as far as 10s of percent shifts and with the accumulation of
possible errors, that shift might still resolve to Rp = RL.

However, if Rp (or its distant cousin Rpd) slips in value away from
RL, then the match is going to migrate away from the Conjugate basis Z
match towards some other solution. I cannot see how it could be
otherwise unless there were some undocumented and unmeasurable R (not
real) were to combine to balance the books.

If there's a match, the Data and the numerous counter arguments to you
seem to prefer an image basis Z match. I don't hold much confidence
in that outcome either.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC