Old September 6th 10, 03:30 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Frequency independent

It is getting close to winter times when decisions have to be made
for the seasonal antenna. My antenna is frequency independent with a
cavity / reflector and I have been feeding it via coax direct ie
unbalanced because of the constant impedance, therefore unbalanced to
balanced should not be a problem.
Anybody see an error in thinking here.
The antenna will be on a tower as the antenna picks up all
transmission modes so I need to get away from ground noise. I will be
adding an elevation changer if I have the time other wise it will be
parallel to ground or zero elevation.
Many thanks for your inputs
Art
Old September 6th 10, 01:13 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Sep 6, 2:30*am, Art Unwin wrote:
It is getting close *to winter times when decisions have to be made
for the seasonal antenna. My antenna is frequency independent with a
cavity / reflector and I have been feeding it via coax direct ie
unbalanced because of the constant impedance, therefore unbalanced to
balanced should not be a problem.
Anybody see an error in thinking here.
The antenna will be on a tower as the antenna picks up all
transmission modes so I need to get away from ground noise. I will be
adding an elevation changer if I have the time other wise it will be
parallel to ground or zero elevation.
Many thanks for your inputs
Art

a dummy load up on the tower will work as well as one on the ground.
Old September 6th 10, 04:12 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Sep 6, 7:13*am, K1TTT wrote:
On Sep 6, 2:30*am, Art Unwin wrote:

It is getting close *to winter times when decisions have to be made
for the seasonal antenna. My antenna is frequency independent with a
cavity / reflector and I have been feeding it via coax direct ie
unbalanced because of the constant impedance, therefore unbalanced to
balanced should not be a problem.
Anybody see an error in thinking here.
The antenna will be on a tower as the antenna picks up all
transmission modes so I need to get away from ground noise. I will be
adding an elevation changer if I have the time other wise it will be
parallel to ground or zero elevation.
Many thanks for your inputs
Art

a dummy load up on the tower will work as well as one on the ground.

I was referring to the feed line. But since you brought up the antenna
I just noticed that it had only a portion of top band when resting on
the ground so I have to check it out on the tower before I move on.
Maybe just lifting it up a couple of feet will do the trick.
Eat your heart out dummy !
Old September 6th 10, 04:54 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Sep 6, 3:12*pm, Art Unwin wrote:

[...]

wow, only 2 posts till name calling started... must be a bad day for
art.
Old September 15th 10, 01:28 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Sep 6, 10:12*am, Art Unwin wrote:
On Sep 6, 7:13*am, K1TTT wrote:

[...]

I found the problem !!! I have just been twisting wire connections so
it takes time to bed in and lower the resistance. I probably will have
to solder connections before the snow flies so the impedance stays
steady and constant. Next job is to determine how high the frequency
goes before
the impedance or something else goes wobbly.
I haven't got the equipment to go very high so I may just zero in on
some satellites to see what happens.