Old April 5th 04, 07:44 PM
JLB

Default Through-Glass Antenna/Ford Taurus

I have a 2000 model year Ford Taurus wagon, and am thinking about mounting a
through-glass antenna on one of the back side windows. Yes, I know---a roof
mount would work better, but I would have to get a hole punch and a divorce
lawyer to do it ;-)

Does anyone have any practical experience with this set up? Does the window
tinting cause any problems on 146 MHz or 440 MHz? There is a completely
dark (opaque) band around the edge of the window. Should this be avoided?

I have seen Taurus wagons with cell phone antennas on the back side windows,
and was wondering how it worked on the ham bands.

Jim
N8EE

Old April 5th 04, 09:04 PM
Dick, AA5VU

Jim,

Think about the front windshield behind the rear view mirror. That is
where I ran one on a Z-28 and Corvette and it worked great.

Dick - AA5VU

Old April 5th 04, 10:15 PM
John Smith

Just get a mag mount, that is a magnetic mount.
You can change out the rod for longer wavelengths
put on roof, or trunk, take off when done
(doesn't look good on the hood, )
your ham store should have them too.

Old April 5th 04, 10:54 PM
Cecil Moore

John Smith wrote:
Just get a mag mount, that is a magnetic mount.

One nice thing about a mag mount is that if you hit something
pretty hard, it just falls over but keeps attaching itself
to the vehicle body. I stopped worrying about parking garages,
trees, etc. I could hear it fall over and when everything was
clear, I simply stopped the vehicle and straightened it back
up. Sometimes the simple way is the best way. Life doesn't have
to be complicated.
--
73, Cecil, W5DXP

Old April 6th 04, 12:54 AM
Dave Shrader

JLB wrote:

I have a 2000 model year Ford Taurus wagon, and am thinking about mounting a
through-glass antenna on one of the back side windows. Yes, I know---a roof
mount would work better, but I would have to get a hole punch and a divorce
lawyer to do it ;-)

Does anyone have any practical experience with this set up? Does the window
tinting cause any problems on 146 MHz or 440 MHz?

Possibly

There is a completely dark (opaque) band around the edge of the window.
Should this be avoided?

YES

I have seen Taurus wagons with cell phone antennas on the back side windows,
and was wondering how it worked on the ham bands.

Cell phone antennas perform poorly on 2 & 440 grin. I presume you
mean the mounting not the antenna. Through the glass should be fine.

I use a Larsen Through the Glass and there is no noticeable loss of
signal. Theoretically, the loss is about 0.5 to 1.0 dB for clear glass.

Deacon Dave, W1MCE

Jim
N8EE

Old April 6th 04, 01:11 AM
Richard Clark

On Mon, 05 Apr 2004 23:54:51 GMT, Dave Shrader
wrote:
Theoretically, the loss is about 0.5 to 1.0 dB for clear glass.

Hi Dave,

What's the theory?

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC
Old April 6th 04, 02:53 AM
John Smith

If it is smoked or mirrored glass,
you can use the "smoke and mirrors theory"
(yes, this is an attempt at humor)

Old April 6th 04, 12:13 PM
JLB

But it is not clear glass, it is tinted.

And, yes, I meant the window mounting not the cellular antenna (I asked that
in a seperate post).

Do you have a Taurus wagon? I was hoping to find someone here who actually
tried a glass mount on a Taurus. [I find it amusing how many people respond
to a post without reading it. Someone actually suggested putting a mag
mount on the trunk!]

Jim
N8EE

Old April 6th 04, 12:48 PM
Dave Shrader

wrote:

Theoretically, the loss is about 0.5 to 1.0 dB for clear glass.

Hi Dave,

What's the theory?

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

My EM guys, Physics types, [from my working days] indicated that the
three dielectric interfaces, adhesive to glass to adhesive, all with
different dielectric coefficients create reflections at the boundaries.

Old April 6th 04, 02:24 PM
Dave VanHorn

My EM guys, Physics types, [from my working days] indicated that the
three dielectric interfaces, adhesive to glass to adhesive, all with
different dielectric coefficients create reflections at the boundaries.

There are four. You couldn't really have an odd number..

Metal-adhesive, adhesive-glass, glass-adhesive, adhesive-metal.

Then there's the tuner box and all that on the feedline to consider.
Not surprising that there's some significant loss in the process.