Old April 5th 04, 07:49 PM
JLB

Default Cell phone through-glass antenna on ham bands?

I have a new in box cell phone glass mount antenna. It is one of the "full
size" 800 MHz type with a self supporting air wound coil.

How well would this work on 146 MHz, if at all? 440 Mhz? Dual band
(146/440)? Is anything more than trimming the length required?

Jim
N8EE

Old April 5th 04, 08:44 PM
Dave VanHorn

"JLB" wrote in message
I have a new in box cell phone glass mount antenna. It is one of the

"full
size" 800 MHz type with a self supporting air wound coil.

How well would this work on 146 MHz, if at all? 440 Mhz? Dual band
(146/440)? Is anything more than trimming the length required?

Not very well.

The larsen glassmounts made for 2/440 are roughly comparable to a 1/4 wave,
but I would say somewhat less gain. I've never measured mine.

I'd expect the cell version to be way short, and the coil is probably wrong
for this app too.

Then again, if it's bad enough, the coil might not make much difference.

I have a pair of the larsen glassmounts for SSTV and APRS, and I'm
seriously thinking of converting to a pair of normally mounted antennas. 50W
up that pipe dosen't get much done.
If height weren't a problem, I'd go for a pair of SG-7900s, but they are
challenging to mount, and not very forgiving of low hanging trees or other
obstructions.

cell phone antenna question Ken Antenna 2 April 4th 04 05:35 AM
Cell phone antenna Dan Antenna 0 November 28th 03 02:48 PM
OT external cell phone antenna Mike Painter Antenna 0 September 22nd 03 12:41 AM