Old October 31st 10, 11:22 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Military Antenna information

OK here is what I know about it. It was a pyramid shaped antenna
approximately 20 ft on a side at the base. The antenna was supported
by a central mast from the apex of the pyramid and the base of the
antenna was suspended about 3 or 4 ft off the ground. Corners of the
base of the pyramid were tied off to tent stakes with nylon rope. It
was used for HF communication in the range of 4 to 30 Mhz and I the
the nomenclature for it was OGTHAGONAL ANTENNA. Thats as much info as
I have if anyone could add more I would appreciate it. Is this an NVIS
antenna? Manuals would be great. Last time I saw one in use it was
being used for HF SSB Air to Ground communication.

Jimmie
Old November 1st 10, 06:06 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Oct 31, 7:22*pm, JIMMIE wrote:

the nomenclature for it was OGTHAGONAL ANTENNA.

Orthagonal, orthogonal?
Old November 1st 10, 04:24 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Oct 31, 7:22*pm, JIMMIE wrote:
OK here is what I know about it. It was a pyramid shaped antenna
approximately 20 ft on a side at the base. The antenna was supported
by a central mast from the apex of the pyramid and the base of the
antenna was suspended about 3 or 4 ft off the ground. Corners of the
base of the pyramid were tied off to tent stakes with nylon rope. It
was used for HF communication in the range of 4 to 30 Mhz and I the
the nomenclature for it was OGTHAGONAL ANTENNA. Thats as much info as
I have if anyone could add more I would appreciate it. Is this an NVIS
antenna? Manuals would be great. Last time I saw one in use it was
being used for HF SSB Air to Ground communication.

Jimmie

The bottom antenna on the first page of http://csantennas.com/HF-
antenna-systems.htm is often configured as you describe. The two
dipoles are attached to the same center insulator / connector assembly
and run at ninety degrees to each other. Forward Air Controllers
would use them to direct tactical air support. I own one of these
that I acquired in a trade. When I was a zoomy they would be set up
exactly as you describe during field communications exercises but I
don't know if the intention was to use them as NVIS antennas or not.
There was quite a lot of google hits on the spelling that Bill
suggested. vis Orthogonal Antenna.
--
Tom Horne
Old November 1st 10, 06:01 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Old November 1st 10, 06:03 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Nov 1, 2:01*pm, Bill wrote:
The bottom antenna on the first page of http://csantennas.com/HF-
antenna-systems.htm is often configured as you describe.

Trying to get this as a clickable link

http://csantennas.com/HF-antenna-systems.htm