Old December 21st 10, 05:13 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Sidebands

"Well, it's like this. The story starts in 1915, when mankind discovered
sidebands. Now possessing this superior understanding of the AM signal,
radio scientists began to understand the implications of their discovery.
Soon afterwards, our old friends at Bell Labs, who have discovered
practically everything, developed a method for removing one of the sidebands
of an AM signal but retaining all the essential modulation components. As an
expert of that day supposedly said, "both sidebands are saying the same
thing" (Goodman, 1948). " From:
http://www.hamradiomarket.com/articles/SSBHistory.htm

I was born after 1915. I am supposing that in that time was possibility to
tune to the three different frequences.
Am I right?
S*

Old December 21st 10, 05:35 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Szczepan Bialek wrote:
"Well, it's like this. The story starts in 1915, when mankind discovered
sidebands. Now possessing this superior understanding of the AM signal,
radio scientists began to understand the implications of their discovery.
Soon afterwards, our old friends at Bell Labs, who have discovered
practically everything, developed a method for removing one of the sidebands
of an AM signal but retaining all the essential modulation components. As an
expert of that day supposedly said, "both sidebands are saying the same
thing" (Goodman, 1948). " From:
http://www.hamradiomarket.com/articles/SSBHistory.htm

I was born after 1915. I am supposing that in that time was possibility to
tune to the three different frequences.
Am I right?
S*

Nope, you are just spouting word salad gibberish as usual.

See:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single-sideband_modulation
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bandwid...nal_processing)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passband

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old December 21st 10, 06:14 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Użytkownik napisał w wiadomo¶ci
Szczepan Bialek wrote:
[...]

Here are thy unrestricted signal (upper diagram). It has the three peaks:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Pa...schematic3.png

So in an old radio the same station was in the three places (on the scale)
close to one another.
Am I right?
S*

Old December 21st 10, 06:26 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Szczepan Bialek wrote:

Here are thy unrestricted signal (upper diagram). It has the three peaks:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Pa...schematic3.png

So in an old radio the same station was in the three places (on the scale)
close to one another.
Am I right?
S*

Nope, you haven't the slightest bit of understanding of what the term
"passband" means so your question is nonsense.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old December 21st 10, 10:16 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Dec 21, 9:13*am, "Szczepan Bialek" wrote:
"Well, it's like this. The story starts in 1915, when mankind discovered
sidebands. Now possessing this superior understanding of the AM signal,
radio scientists began to understand the implications of their discovery.
Soon afterwards, our old friends at Bell Labs, who have discovered
practically everything, developed a method for removing one of the sidebands
of an AM signal but retaining all the essential modulation components. As an
expert of that day supposedly said, "both sidebands are saying the same
thing" (Goodman, 1948). " From:http://www.hamradiomarket.com/articles/SSBHistory.htm

I was born after 1915. I am supposing that in that time was possibility to
tune to the three different frequences.
Am I right?
S*

Only three? If the modulation is a complex signal (not just a single
sinusoid), you'll get (ideally) a carrier on a single frequency, and
upper and lower sidebands spanning a range of frequencies. Any decent
spectrum analyzer will easily resolve these components.
Communications receivers with narrow bandwidth, sharp cutoff filters
can also resolve them, of course.

And only "in that time"? You still can: there are plenty of AM
stations broadcasting in the 0.5MHz to 30MHz range (and some outside
that). But in 1915, it may well have been easier to analyze the
signal mathematically than with hardware. The hardware may not have
been very common, but certainly the math identities required were
readily available, as was Fourier analysis.

What if both sidebands are NOT "saying the same thing"? Then, for
instance, you can broadcast stereo in a way that receivers mixing the
two sidebands will still receive an acceptable mono signal.

Cheers,
Tom

Old December 22nd 10, 01:41 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Tue, 21 Dec 2010 17:35:07 -0000, wrote:
Szczepan Bialek wrote:
"Well, it's like this. The story starts in 1915, when mankind discovered
sidebands. Now possessing this superior understanding of the AM signal,
radio scientists began to understand the implications of their discovery.
Soon afterwards, our old friends at Bell Labs, who have discovered
practically everything, developed a method for removing one of the sidebands
of an AM signal but retaining all the essential modulation components. As an
expert of that day supposedly said, "both sidebands are saying the same
thing" (Goodman, 1948). " From:
http://www.hamradiomarket.com/articles/SSBHistory.htm

I was born after 1915. I am supposing that in that time was possibility to
tune to the three different frequences.
Am I right?
S*

Nope, you are just spouting word salad gibberish as usual.

Which, in this instance, has squat zilch to do with antennas.
Old December 22nd 10, 08:18 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Uzytkownik "K1TTT" napisal w wiadomosci

Szczepan Bialek wrote:
[...]

Here are the unrestricted signal (upper diagram). It has the three peaks:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Pa...schematic3.png

So in an old radio the same station was in the three places (on the
scale)

close to one another.
Am I right?

no

Now my radio use FM. The one station is on the distance circle 1cm.
In 1915 was the same for AM?
S*

From:http://www.hamradiomarket.com/articles/SSBHistory.htm

I was born after 1915. I am supposing that in that time was possibility

tune to the three different frequences.
Am I right?

S*

Only three? If the modulation is a complex signal (not just a single

sinusoid), you'll get (ideally) a carrier on a single frequency, and
upper and lower sidebands spanning a range of frequencies. Any decent
spectrum analyzer will easily resolve these components.

What was in 1915?

Communications receivers with narrow bandwidth, sharp cutoff filters

can also resolve them, of course.

Have such Author of SSBHistory in 1915?

And only "in that time"? You still can: there are plenty of AM

stations broadcasting in the 0.5MHz to 30MHz range (and some outside
that). But in 1915, it may well have been easier to analyze the
signal mathematically than with hardware. The hardware may not have
been very common, but certainly the math identities required were
readily available, as was Fourier analysis.

What if both sidebands are NOT "saying the same thing"? Then, for

instance, you can broadcast stereo in a way that receivers mixing the
two sidebands will still receive an acceptable mono signal.

I am trying to find if that SSB from 1915 were the distance dependent.
S*

Old December 22nd 10, 10:38 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On
What if both sidebands are NOT "saying the same thing"? Then, for

instance, you can broadcast stereo in a way that receivers mixing the
two sidebands will still receive an acceptable mono signal.

I am trying to find if that SSB from 1915 were the distance dependent.
S*

Distance from where? You are not making sense.

Jeff