Old February 16th 11, 05:21 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Expectations for 135 foot dipole

On Wed, 16 Feb 2011 11:14:04 +0000 (UTC), david
wrote:

I don't trust anything by Norton.

Norton may be trustworthy. I say that in spite of your feelings
because for my friends who use it, they do not suffer any attacks.
However, they do suffer from its huge resource drain and my friends'
most consistent complaint is how SLOW their system is.

Norton sucks the air out of performance.

Myself, I use Comodo for its firewall (and turn off its virus
detection); and I use AVG (free) for virus detection. I also use
Process Explorer (a very elaborate Task Manager) to look at the system
usage. Even as I write this, my system has 96-98% CPU capacity left
as it should. Any AVG process barely demands more than a quarter
percent CPU cycles.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC
Old February 17th 11, 07:01 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Norton sucks the air out of performance"
I agree!

I had a family client that I set up with AVG Free. It failed,
situation beyond my skills, reload XP Home required...
Maybe it would have done the job if I had opted for the pay version.

wrote:

I don't trust anything by Norton.

Norton may be trustworthy. I say that in spite of your feelings
because for my friends who use it, they do not suffer any attacks.
However, they do suffer from its huge resource drain and my friends'
most consistent complaint is how SLOW their system is.

Norton sucks the air out of performance.

Myself, I use Comodo for its firewall (and turn off its virus
detection); and I use AVG (free) for virus detection. I also use
Process Explorer (a very elaborate Task Manager) to look at the system
usage. Even as I write this, my system has 96-98% CPU capacity left
as it should. Any AVG process barely demands more than a quarter
percent CPU cycles.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

John Ferrell W8CCW
Old February 18th 11, 03:05 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
K K is offline

Bull****. I've seen Norton totally fail. I'm an IT guy that repairs this
stuff, and IMHO Norton itself is the same as a virus in many respects.

Its not true that 'everyones' suite sucks out performance, but as you say,
Norton sure does.

All most SUITE software is nothing more than an in-house firewall that is
substituted for the stock MS firewall.

wrote:

I don't trust anything by Norton.

Norton may be trustworthy. I say that in spite of your feelings
because for my friends who use it, they do not suffer any attacks.
However, they do suffer from its huge resource drain and my friends'
most consistent complaint is how SLOW their system is.

Norton sucks the air out of performance.

Norton Security *SUITE* does this. So does everyone else's *SUITE*.

Just plain Norton antivirus or whoever's antivirus isn't a significant
resource hog.

Old February 18th 11, 06:49 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Yes, everything can fail. I cannot forget the time when a Norton
update shut me down. It was a long ways back and I don't remember the
details, but it was not pretty.

I am an old retired guy who has fallen into the trap of maintaining a
few family and church machines. Usually on my funds and always on my
time. Since I have a lot of more interesting stuff to do I like to
keep things simple as possible for me. Norton has 3-user packages that
are available on sale from time to time and I am the only one that
notices the performance hit. The background scans seem to be the worst
offender for me. I tend to run too many browser windows open at any
give time. Saving & restoring Tab groups has helped a lot there.

It is a good time for an old geek to be retired. Information is widely
available and lots of good guys to communicate with!

BTW and even further off topic, my clothes washing machine failed
early this week. I found a wealth of service info on YouTube which
saved me about $500! I will take me a few days to recover from the
physical efforts but it has been a very satisfying week!

Hopefully I will get some maintenance done on the tower this coming
week and get back to antennas...

Old February 25th 11, 03:21 AM
Junior Member

Location: Bright, Indiana (the SE corner of the state)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ka7niq View Post
I agree, just put it up, feed it with open wire feeders, tune it and talk. What you get is what you get.
I agree with ka7niq. Open wire is the only way to go. I'm using a 135 foot dipole with open wire and it works great.

Larry
wa8qnn

Old March 1st 11, 04:25 PM
Member

Location: Tampa florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8qnn View Post
I agree with ka7niq. Open wire is the only way to go. I'm using a 135 foot dipole with open wire and it works great.

Larry
wa8qnn
I am all FOR Computer Modeling, but I sometimes see people afraid to wipe their ass w/o modeling the toilet paper first. For God's sakes, just put the dam thing up, and what you get is what you get.
I have had center fed 80 meter dipoles operated on all bands fed with ladder line defy the "predicted patterns". Perhaps this was because of the ground in my area, or feed line radiation ? Whatever, who really cares ? The old saying "If it talks good, but models bad, invent a new way to model" applies here. The Bumblebee don't know, nor does it care, that it should not be able to fly.
Ka7niq
http://www.saferoofcleaning.com