Old December 31st 10, 04:01 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Expectations for 135 foot dipole

I am helping to install a 135 foot dipole on a hillside for HF
activity. The antenna will be at least 45 feet from the ground in any
direction. I can believe EZNEC so far as the effects of ground on
impedance. but I am at a loss when it comes to considering the
patterns on the various bands. The ridge is about 200 feet from the
antenna.

This is for a club member who recently upgraded to General Class.

Since the ridge is close to the same height and south of the antenna,
I am guessing that the computed charts will be a good representation
of the northern half of the antenna. NVIS should not change much. The
terrain may work as a reflector for over the pole operation. I am
afraid the antenna will be of little use to the south.

I expect we will eventually need to do the best we can with an antenna
on the top of the ridge. When the snow melts I will try to climb the
ridge for a look-see. It will likely be difficult to install due the
dense trees.

Any comments, advice, suggestions etc. are appreciated!
John Ferrell W8CCW
Old December 31st 10, 04:53 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Dec 31, 4:01*pm, John Ferrell wrote:
[...]

just put it up, hook up a tuner if the radio doesn't have one, and
have fun. you can spend all your time modeling trying to figure out
what it may look like, but if you are limited on how you can install
it you can't really control much anyway. an antenna laying on the
ground works much better than one that is only in your computer!
Old January 1st 11, 05:14 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Fri, 31 Dec 2010 08:53:32 -0800 (PST), K1TTT
wrote:

[...]

No argument from me! It is going up as planned as soon as the new
General gets a little more time to work with me on the project.

The hillside we are working on is a little tricky for us to deal with
while snow covered but in this part of North Carolina it does not snow
often or stay long.

We need to keep his enthusiasm up with some positive results.

John Ferrell W8CCW
Old February 12th 11, 04:36 AM
Member

Location: Tampa florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ferrell[_2_] View Post
wrote:

[...]

I agree, just put it up, feed it with open wire feeders, tune it and talk. What you get is what you get.
__________________
Ka7niq
http://www.saferoofcleaning.com
Old February 14th 11, 05:44 PM
Banned

Location: Russia
Send a message via ICQ to YarTransAvto

Занялся своим автомобилем, подремантировать, наладить. Где можно найти качественные запчасти ЯМЗ подскажите?

Old February 15th 11, 12:41 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

I really do not know how to answer this reply...

On Mon, 14 Feb 2011 17:44:09 +0000, YarTransAvto
wrote:

Занялся
своим
автомобилем,
подремантировать,
наладить.
Где можно
найти
качественные
' запчасти
ЯМЗ' (http://www.yartransavto.ru/)
подскажите?

John Ferrell W8CCW
Old February 15th 11, 02:29 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Mon, 14 Feb 2011 19:41:52 -0500, John Ferrell rearranged some electrons
to say:

I really do not know how to answer this reply...

On Mon, 14 Feb 2011 17:44:09 +0000, YarTransAvto
wrote:

snipped
John Ferrell W8CCW

John, I hope you didn't click on the link, it's probably a virus.

de AJ4TF
Old February 15th 11, 06:50 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

I put a lot of trust in my Norton Internet Security. The link is in
Russian and appears to be about an engine.

Old February 16th 11, 11:14 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Tue, 15 Feb 2011 13:50:49 -0500, John Ferrell rearranged some electrons
to say:

I put a lot of trust in my Norton Internet Security.
John Ferrell W8CCW

I don't trust anything by Norton.

de AJ4TF

Old February 16th 11, 03:46 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

It is all relative!

I have had my problems along the way but it is the best for me that I
have found.

If I compile a program without flipping the appropriate switch in
Internet Security it promptly deletes the exe because it does not know
it!

It was a pain at first, but now I like it. The big problem is the
cavelier manner in which Microsoft software is generated.