Old January 4th 11, 08:11 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default ESD Protection ?

Hello,

Have a new WinRadio receiver, and am a bit concerned about protecting
it's front end from possible damage due to ESD ElectroStatic Discharge,
effects, etc.

I do receiving only, and have an end-fed PAR antenna outside, feeding
the receiver by about a 30 foot run of coax from the antenna.
At the antenna, I have an ICE lightning protector, and a copper bar as a
ground point, there.

No idea if the ICE unit has a bleed resistor for dissipating any static
buildups.

Too advanced in years now to build anything myself incorporating Zeners,
Varistors, or whatever, so would like to find, if you folks feel it's
worth doing (?), a small box unit with bnc's on both end, that would
provide good and safe ESD protection that I would locate indoors right
next to the radio's input.

Any thoughts or suggestions ?
Brand, Model Number, or just forget as probably not needed ?

BTW: Nice article on ESD at:
http://www.ce-mag.com/archive/01/Spring/Lee.html

Thanks,
Bob
Old January 4th 11, 10:07 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
you you is offline

In article ,
Bob wrote:

[...]

What most folks do is put Back to Back diodes, across the 50 Ohm input,
and that clamps the antenna input to .7 Vac before the diodes conduct.
You may have to replace the diodes if you get a discharge, but not until.
Old January 9th 11, 02:32 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Jan 4, 7:11*pm, Bob wrote:
[...]

unless the radio was shipped to you in a sealed esd protection bag and
had notes about what the esd handling requirements were, forget about
it and just plug it in and use it! ESD problems normally only apply
to bare integrated circuit leads and things connected to them like
pins on a card plugging into a computer motherboard. anything on an
external connector like where you would connect power and antennas
should already have sufficient protection for normal use.
Old February 21st 11, 10:38 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Hello.
The ICE unit has a toridal coil to ground so in affect the unit is at
direct DC ground. IMHA this is the best ESDI protector around
Dick Sharp
KE5NCR

On Tue, 04 Jan 2011 14:11:45 -0500, Bob wrote:

[...]

weather protection? Sanjaya[_4_] Shortwave 6 May 6th 08 10:55 PM
Protection Tip Mike Kaliski Antenna 1 May 26th 07 09:37 PM
And maybe Florida is different:# LIGHTNING PROTECTION SYSTEMS PROVIDE LIMITED PROTECTION. [email protected] Shortwave 6 June 17th 05 04:19 AM
lightning protection Mark Keith Shortwave 0 August 1st 04 09:51 AM
LIGHTNING PROTECTION Shortwave 6 July 31st 03 11:21 PM