Old January 20th 11, 09:40 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default any way to put a mobile antenna on an element

"david" wrote in message
On Wed, 19 Jan 2011 18:43:18 -0500, bpuharic rearranged some electrons to
say:

On Tue, 18 Jan 2011 17:48:17 -0800 (PST), JIMMIE
wrote:

On Jan 7, 10:07 pm, bpuharic wrote:
Just got a honda element...any way to put a whip on it w/o cutting it?
thanks much

I drilled a hole in the ceneter of the roof of my wifes Nissan. Two
years later traded it in. I removed the antenna mount and plugged it
with a snap in rubber plug. No effect on resale value.

Jimmie

i've read about that...any problems with hitting stuff with the antenna?

Uhhh... not if you remember it's there.

-
Carry a piggy bank in the car. Every time you hit something, throw a fiver
in the bank. Pretty soon, you will remember.
--Wayne

Old January 24th 11, 05:49 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

bpuharic wrote:

thanks, joe! that's a possibility and it would get the whip above roof
level.

One other possibility is one of the four magnet magmount setups. Some even
come with coax. I've even seen such mounts used for screwdrivers if you
still have your prior one. Before anyone points out they have to be
grounded properly, the mounting holes for the roof mount offer access to at
least some grounding with the proper short bolt. I suspect such a scheme
might have the grounding strap()/wire(s) too long at 10 meters, but for 17
meters through 75, probably should be adequate.
Old January 24th 11, 05:46 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

art clemons wrote:
bpuharic wrote:

thanks, joe! that's a possibility and it would get the whip above roof
level.

One other possibility is one of the four magnet magmount setups. Some even
come with coax. I've even seen such mounts used for screwdrivers if you
still have your prior one. Before anyone points out they have to be
grounded properly, the mounting holes for the roof mount offer access to at
least some grounding with the proper short bolt. I suspect such a scheme
might have the grounding strap()/wire(s) too long at 10 meters, but for 17
meters through 75, probably should be adequate.

On many cars these days, there is a plastic cover at the end of the roof
rack that covers a bolt that holds the rack onto the car. A ring lug
under the bolt and a black powerpole connector glued into a notch cut in
that plastic cover might give a really nice connection to the metal roof.
Old January 25th 11, 04:57 PM
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpuharic View Post
Just got a honda element...any way to put a whip on it w/o cutting it?
thanks much
I don't know what a Honda element looks like but if it has a hatch back or trunk lid I can show you a way to mount an antenna that will work - where can I send you pictures?
Old January 25th 11, 05:09 PM
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpuharic View Post
Just got a honda element...any way to put a whip on it w/o cutting it?
thanks much
I don't know what an Element looks like but if it has a hatchback or trunk lid I can show you a way to mount an antenna without cutting or drilling any holes - I came up with this mount for running my Hamsticks on the back of my truck which has a full hard lid that I didn't want to drill any holes in - can't guarantee it will work for your vehicle but I can send you pics - just tell me where to send them

Old January 26th 11, 12:49 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Tue, 25 Jan 2011 16:57:56 +0000, K J Courter
wrote:

bpuharic;728489 Wrote:
Just got a honda element...any way to put a whip on it w/o cutting it?
thanks much

I don't know what a Honda element looks like but if it has a hatch back
or trunk lid I can show you a way to mount an antenna that will work -
where can I send you pictures?

that would be good! to wf3h(at)comcast.net

Old January 26th 11, 12:50 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Mon, 24 Jan 2011 09:46:33 -0800, Jim Lux
wrote:

art clemons wrote:
bpuharic wrote:

[...]

thanks guys may consider that. might be the best solution