Old January 8th 11, 02:07 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default any way to put a mobile antenna on an element

Just got a honda element...any way to put a whip on it w/o cutting it?
thanks much
Old January 8th 11, 02:21 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
tom tom is offline

On 1/7/2011 8:07 PM, bpuharic wrote:
Just got a honda element...any way to put a whip on it w/o cutting it?
thanks much

Well there's always thru-the-glass. It's not the most efficient in my
experience (which is limited with respect to these) but it seems to work
well enough if you have a decent repeater system that is the target.
One plus is that you can usually get most of the half wave above the
roofline.

For all around flexibility I still like the simple quarter wave vertical
for 2m FM. Enough high angle for metro downtown use, but that involves
either holes or magnets.

tom
K0TAR
Old January 9th 11, 05:52 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
joe joe is offline

bpuharic wrote:
Just got a honda element...any way to put a whip on it w/o cutting it?
thanks much

My older Element had plastic covers over the mounts for the roof rack.
Perhaps you can mount the antenna to the same brackets.
Old January 13th 11, 04:28 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Jan 7, 6:21*pm, tom wrote:
On 1/7/2011 8:07 PM, bpuharic wrote:

Just got a honda element...any way to put a whip on it w/o cutting it?
thanks much

Well there's always thru-the-glass. *It's not the most efficient in my
experience (which is limited with respect to these) but it seems to work
well enough if you have a decent repeater system that is the target.
One plus is that you can usually get most of the half wave above the
roofline.

For all around flexibility I still like the simple quarter wave vertical
for 2m FM. *Enough high angle for metro downtown use, but that involves
either holes or magnets.

tom
K0TAR

I saw a note from a guy who "cooked" part of his window with the thru-
the-glass approach. He said the film sandwiched in the safety glass
darkened from being heated. As I recall, he was using 50 watts.

This stuff is all trade-offs, eh?
Old January 14th 11, 01:49 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
tom tom is offline

On 1/12/2011 10:28 PM, Sal M. Onella wrote:
On Jan 7, 6:21 pm, wrote:
[...]

Never heard of that before, and I know lots of people who've used them
over the 30+ year period they've been around. Including myself. I'd
like to see pictures. And also know how much power the guy was sending
to an antenna system rated for a specific number of watts.

tom
K0TAR

Old January 14th 11, 01:56 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
tom tom is offline

On 1/13/2011 7:49 PM, tom wrote:

Never heard of that before, and I know lots of people who've used them
over the 30+ year period they've been around. Including myself. I'd like
to see pictures. And also know how much power the guy was sending to an
antenna system rated for a specific number of watts.

Sorry, how much power the system was _rated_ for. You stated 50 watts
delivered. Also whether he installed it correctly and tuned it correctly.

tom
K0TAR

Old January 14th 11, 06:56 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Jan 13, 5:56*pm, tom wrote:
On 1/13/2011 7:49 PM, tom wrote:

Never heard of that before, and I know lots of people who've used them
over the 30+ year period they've been around. Including myself. I'd like
to see pictures. And also know how much power the guy was sending to an
antenna system rated for a specific number of watts.

Sorry, how much power the system was _rated_ for. *You stated 50 watts
delivered. *Also whether he installed it correctly and tuned it correctly.

tom
K0TAR

Sorry, too, that this was years ago and I cannot recall the source. I
looked for something (anything) before I posted, came up with nothing
and almost didn't post it. More looking just now, trying different
search terms and still nothing. Maybe it was BS. One lone story
isn't very impressive.
Old January 16th 11, 12:39 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Fri, 07 Jan 2011 20:21:47 -0600, tom wrote:

On 1/7/2011 8:07 PM, bpuharic wrote:
Just got a honda element...any way to put a whip on it w/o cutting it?
thanks much

Well there's always thru-the-glass. It's not the most efficient in my
experience (which is limited with respect to these) but it seems to work
well enough if you have a decent repeater system that is the target.
One plus is that you can usually get most of the half wave above the
roofline.

For all around flexibility I still like the simple quarter wave vertical
for 2m FM. Enough high angle for metro downtown use, but that involves
either holes or magnets.

tom
K0TAR

sorry...my mistake. this is an HF whip antenna
Old January 16th 11, 12:39 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Sun, 09 Jan 2011 11:52:35 -0600, joe wrote:

bpuharic wrote:
Just got a honda element...any way to put a whip on it w/o cutting it?
thanks much

My older Element had plastic covers over the mounts for the roof rack.
Perhaps you can mount the antenna to the same brackets.

this one doesnt have a roof rack, unfortunately.

they thought of eveything!
Old January 16th 11, 02:04 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
tom tom is offline

On 1/15/2011 6:39 PM, bpuharic wrote:
On Fri, 07 Jan 2011 20:21:47 -0600, wrote:

On 1/7/2011 8:07 PM, bpuharic wrote:
Just got a honda element...any way to put a whip on it w/o cutting it?
thanks much

Well there's always thru-the-glass. It's not the most efficient in my
experience (which is limited with respect to these) but it seems to work
well enough if you have a decent repeater system that is the target.
One plus is that you can usually get most of the half wave above the
roofline.

For all around flexibility I still like the simple quarter wave vertical
for 2m FM. Enough high angle for metro downtown use, but that involves
either holes or magnets.

tom
K0TAR

sorry...my mistake. this is an HF whip antenna

Please clarify then - do you want to avoid cutting the whip, or the car?

tom
K0TAR