Old February 1st 11, 08:05 AM
Junior Member

Default Quarter-wave matching coaxial cable

To to feed a delta loop with a 1/4 wavellenght coaxial section I used my MFJ259B following the instruction of the MFJ259b manual (7.1 Testing Stubs)
To verify the section I have followed other two methods:
1. MFJ259 manual (Testing Stub with help of 50ohm resistor for lowest SWR)
2. ON4UN method described by Low-Band Dxing Book (Chapter 6, Quarter-wave matching section)

The measures that I got with each of the three methods are too different.
By accepting a reasonable differences in the results, which of the three methods are considered more reliable ?
Ed, IV3TQE
Old February 1st 11, 12:06 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Feb 1, 2:05*am, eddy wrote:
... which of the three methods are considered more reliable ?

I assume you are trying to configure a 1/4WL 75 ohm piece of coax to
interface to your ~100 ohm loop. What I would do is cut it a little
longer than 1/4WL with the velocity factor taken into account. Connect
it to the antenna and trim for lowest SWR on the MFJ258B. Why bother
with an exact 1/4WL when you can trim for lowest SWR using the actual
antenna?
Old February 1st 11, 09:17 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Tue, 1 Feb 2011 08:05:55 +0000, eddy
wrote:

To to feed a delta loop with a 1/4 wavellenght coaxial section I used my
MFJ259B following the instruction of the MFJ259b manual (7.1 Testing
Stubs)

Hi Eddy,

which of the three
methods are considered more reliable ?

The first: 7.1 Testing Stubs

The second method has no sensitivity (Q = 1). The third method
surprises me - a topic for Longwave?

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC
Old February 3rd 11, 10:38 PM
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Moore View Post
On Feb 1, 2:05*am, eddy wrote:
... which of the three methods are considered more reliable ?

I assume you are trying to configure a 1/4WL 75 ohm piece of coax to
interface to your ~100 ohm loop. What I would do is cut it a little
longer than 1/4WL with the velocity factor taken into account. Connect
it to the antenna and trim for lowest SWR on the MFJ258B. Why bother
with an exact 1/4WL when you can trim for lowest SWR using the actual
antenna?
You're right, trimming is the easiest method to matching a delta loop.
Anyway I hope my Analyzer could help me to get 1/2 wave coax and some sections for a phasing system