Old April 11th 04, 04:53 AM
Dan Jacobson

Default long wires around the farm

http://www.hard-core-dx.com/nordicdx...age/view1.html
got me thinking about all those long AC wires to the pumps on the
farm. When not in use they could instead be used as antennas, eh?
One would use a double knife switch of course to make sure AC would
supposedly never get to our transceiver.

Say, would water in long plastic pipes count as an antenna? I suppose
it would have to be rather impure water.
Old April 12th 04, 07:16 PM
Dave Platt

http://www.hard-core-dx.com/nordicdx...age/view1.html
got me thinking about all those long AC wires to the pumps on the
farm. When not in use they could instead be used as antennas, eh?
One would use a double knife switch of course to make sure AC would
supposedly never get to our transceiver.

This would probably be a violation of the electrical code, everywhere
in the United States, due to the obvious safety issues. I'd really
suggest against doing anything like this.

Say, would water in long plastic pipes count as an antenna? I suppose
it would have to be rather impure water.

Unless you're raising a crop of nori or other seaweed, and are piping
around a mess of sea-water, I don't think the water in your pipes
would have anywhere near a high enough conductivity to serve as a
useful antenna.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO
Old April 12th 04, 08:38 PM
Richard Clark

On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 11:53:49 +0800, Dan Jacobson
wrote:

http://www.hard-core-dx.com/nordicdx...age/view1.html
got me thinking about all those long AC wires to the pumps on the
farm. When not in use they could instead be used as antennas, eh?
One would use a double knife switch of course to make sure AC would
supposedly never get to our transceiver.

Hi Dan,

As Dave says, "dangerous."

Instead, loop couple to the run and take what you can get.

Say, would water in long plastic pipes count as an antenna? I suppose
it would have to be rather impure water.

No. In spite of the supposed conductivity of salt water, it is not,
and fresh water even less (even if impure). You would do better
trying to load a coal seam.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC
Old April 13th 04, 02:24 AM
Mike Coslo

wrote:

http://www.hard-core-dx.com/nordicdx...age/view1.html
got me thinking about all those long AC wires to the pumps on the
farm. When not in use they could instead be used as antennas, eh?
One would use a double knife switch of course to make sure AC would
supposedly never get to our transceiver.

Hi Dan,

As Dave says, "dangerous."

Instead, loop couple to the run and take what you can get.

Say, would water in long plastic pipes count as an antenna? I suppose
it would have to be rather impure water.

No. In spite of the supposed conductivity of salt water, it is not,
and fresh water even less (even if impure). You would do better
trying to load a coal seam.

I did see a website about a person making an antenna out of the very
substance. The link referes to a loop antenna now, but IIRC, this person
made a antenna out of water in a PVc pipe. It was mounted on his Jeep. A
40 meter antenna, I believe. Strange, very strange

The page which gave the old link was on the A6CV site:

http://www.ac6v.com/antprojects.htm#W

and ther it is. Sorry I can't be more specific, I am dealing from
memory, and was very amused at the time.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old April 13th 04, 02:37 AM
Richard Clark

On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 21:24:50 -0400, Mike Coslo
wrote:
this person
made a antenna out of water in a PVc pipe. It was mounted on his Jeep. A
40 meter antenna, I believe. Strange, very strange

Hi Mike,

As we can all guess, the jeep was the radiator, and the pipe was for
show.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

Long wire at 6m? John Smith Antenna 15 March 29th 04 04:43 AM
Tower help Long Island?? Fjx1 Antenna 0 March 5th 04 12:09 AM
Any Good Or Useful For Listening Only ?: WiNRADiO WR-LWA-0130 Long Wire Antenna Adapter Robert11 Antenna 1 November 6th 03 03:47 AM
Help:Tower installation/repair Long Island Fjx1 Antenna 3 August 22nd 03 01:04 PM
Opinions please G5 against long wire against windom? Chris Bartlett Antenna 1 July 31st 03 11:15 PM