Old February 15th 11, 10:21 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Marine vs. telescoping tubing antenna

Curious. What are the advantages vs. disavantages of a commercial
marine fiberglass antenna such as a Morad vs. using telescoping aluminum
tubing sections to accomplish the same?

Of course I realize price is one factor. I'm looking for other factors.

Ed K7AAT

Old February 16th 11, 12:06 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Curious. What are the advantages vs. disavantages of a commercial
marine fiberglass antenna such as a Morad vs. using telescoping aluminum
tubing sections to accomplish the same?

Of course I realize price is one factor. I'm looking for other factors.

I imagine that weather resistance is probably the biggest. Marine
fiberglass antennas are designed to stand up to long-term exposure to
salt spray, and salt air.

Anywhere around the coast, salt in the air will eat aluminum antennas
for lunch. Unless you're very careful to have a mechanically-strong
junction between sections, with some sort of oxygen-and-moisture-
excluding goop or grease, you'll end up with serious deterioration
of the metal, and a loss of conductivity between sections.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO
Old February 16th 11, 02:33 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Just for the record, my question is in regards to the use of such antennas
for fixed mobile use on an RV, not for permanent mount.

Ed K7AAT

Old February 17th 11, 12:22 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Feb 15, 10:33*pm, "Ed_G" wrote:
Just for the record, *my question is in regards to the use of such antennas
for fixed mobile use on an RV, *not for permanent mount.

Ed * K7AAT

Shouldnt be a problem, You may want to search for NVIS antennas. I do
a fair amount of camping mostly in the mountins of NC, Ga, TN, VA and
WV. This means camping in the valleys. Seems the NVIS antennas work
better from these locations. Many can also be improvised from local
materials.

Jimmie