Old April 16th 04, 11:22 PM

Default Portable Satelite antenna for FD

I am planning on constructing a satellite antenna for feild day this year

Having worked UO-14, AO-27, ISS, etc, i know what it takes to do it but
never have really done much portable work lately, not since UO-14 went down.
i know AO-27 and SO-50 are alot weeker. ISS should be easy if they are
active.

The antenna i am planning on constructing is a quad antenna. 4 elements on
70cm (435Mhz) and 3 elements (145Mhz).

I worked out the math for them, and i know everything should fit on a 40
inch boom with some space to spare.

Any tips on its construction. I have not built a quad before, but have
constucted almost every other antenna type related for LEO satellites

i have an abundant supply of bamboo or should i use PVC instead. i plan to
use 16GA copper wire for its construction and N type connectors

the finished antenna most likely will be setup on a camcorder tripod for
feild day

the one question i really have, is should i bother with any type of matching
circuit. I have calculated the SWR to be pretty good at specified freqs, but
should i try for anything better than a 1.7:1 ratio.?

thanks in advance for any tips you give,

Steve KC2GOG

Old April 16th 04, 11:55 PM
JGBOYLES

I am planning on constructing a satellite antenna for feild day this year.
Any tips on its construction. I have not built a quad before,

If you are just going to use the quad on Field Day and are not planning on a
long term installation, a cheap way to go is use PVC for the boom, and 1/4" or
3/8" wood dowel for the spreaders. May cost $5 at Home Depot. If you want
something that will take weather better, use UV resistant PVC and 1/4"
fiberglass rods for the spreaders.
As for the 1:7 swr, I would not worry. But, if you are a purist, there are
several ways to reduce that if you want to go to the trouble.

73 Gary N4AST