Old April 2nd 11, 09:31 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Fiberglass flagpole as antenna support?

Currently my low-bands antenna consists of a sloping inverted vee. The
center insulator is attached at the chimney support on the back of the house
at about 27 feet above ground and is fed with open-wire line, which drops
straight down into the basement shack. Each leg of the dipole is 75 feet
long with 60 feet between the center insulator and a 12 foot 2x4 at the two
fence corners. The last 15 feet of each leg then makes a 90 degree bend and
is fastened to the fence top at five feet above ground.

The antenna in its current configuration seems to put out a good signal,
about what one would expect for an antenna at this height. I have been
thinking about adding a 40 foot self-supporting fiberglass pole at the
center of the back yard fence. This would allow me to lengthen each leg by
about 22 feet, and the two legs could be connected to an insulator mounted
on the flagpole. In this configuration the ends of the legs would be
elevated to an height of 40 feet. I could also remove the insulator, and by
joining the two ends I would have a loop antenna with total length of about
194 feet.

Before expending money and time on this antenna modification, I would be
interested in comments about what, if anything, I might expect in improved
antenna performance.

Old April 2nd 11, 11:19 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Maude Herr-Chodt" wrote in message
[...]

At best, most any wire antenna for 80 meters below 100 feet or so is just a
crap shoot. The new configuration you want to use will probably work beter
in some directions and distances and worse in others.
If the pole did not cost too much, it may help if you can get the center of
the dipole up to 40 feet and the ends up some also.

Old April 3rd 11, 12:10 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Sat, 2 Apr 2011 16:31:10 -0400, "Maude Herr-Chodt"
wrote:

The last 15 feet of each leg then makes a 90 degree bend and
is fastened to the fence top at five feet above ground.

Hi Maude,

Cut off the last 15 feet (4M?) of each leg. Keep your antenna away
from ground - your tuner will make up the difference anyway. You are
already using a tuner, aren't you?

The antenna in its current configuration seems to put out a good signal,
about what one would expect for an antenna at this height. I have been
thinking about adding a 40 foot self-supporting fiberglass pole at the
center of the back yard fence. This would allow me to lengthen each leg by
about 22 feet, and the two legs could be connected to an insulator mounted
on the flagpole. In this configuration the ends of the legs would be
elevated to an height of 40 feet. I could also remove the insulator, and by
joining the two ends I would have a loop antenna with total length of about
194 feet.

Do it and report back. It satisfies keeping the antenna high. You
have alternatives (short, don't short), and it adds variability for
other considerations.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC
Old April 3rd 11, 01:06 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Yes, I'm using a balanced tuner. The problem with 60 feet legs is that while
it matches nicely on 80 meters, on 40 meters it becomes difficult to match,
given my current feeder length. Adding the additional 15 feet to each leg
ends up with a reasonably easy match on all bands (80 - 10 meters). In
addition, I feed the antenna as a Marconi (inverted L configuration) on 160
meters, and the additional 15 feet on each leg again makes it easier to
match.

news

Old April 3rd 11, 01:27 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Apr 2, 7:06*pm, "Maude Herr-Chodt" wrote:
The problem with 60 feet legs is that while
it matches nicely on 80 meters, on 40 meters it becomes difficult to match,
given my current feeder length.

Assuming ladder-line feeding 60 foot legs, switch between a 1/2WL
feeder on 80m and a 3/4WL feeder on 40m and get a near-perfect match
on both bands.
--
73, Cecil, w5dxp.com